Customer Service 866.965.0400

New guy question?

GCvette

Question

Hi, too all. Have been lurking here for awhile. Lots of good info. My question is, i ordered some washing products and hand waxing butter wax. I am not sure about whether to purchase a PC or Flex. I have a new Vette black Centinial metallic that I was going to hand wax. I have several other vehicles large and small. All are in very good condition. My black truck has over spray on it and my wife's escalade is pearl white, with normal daily driving issues. Both very large vehicles. Also 3 more vehicles, 55 Chevy and two other sports cars. I have never used a mechanical buffer polisher. But I have used numerous hand grinders and other hand equipment, so the operation of either I don't believe would be a problem. What are you guys thoughts on what unit to by for this fleet? Thanks, in advance for your input. Gcvette.

13 answers to this question

Wow, you are going to get split reactions here. Some are going to say learn on a PC since it is virtually impossible to harm your paint with it while the rest will say you can learn on the Flex just as well.

It is slower, but I went PC - I'm a bit on the conservative side.

Agreed you will get a lot of PC and Flex lovers giving their opinions and no matter what they will all be good advice. Sounds like you have a pretty nice fleet of vehicles and only the truck with the over spray needs the most attention.

Personally I would go with the PC kit with the pads and polishes. Get some clay bar on the truck and see if that works to remove all the over spray. You may need to spend some extra time on this step to make sure you get all the build up off.

After using the PC polishes on your fleet a nice coat of Brilliant Glaze and Americana wax you should be extremely happy with your results.

And make sure you get some VRT and In & Out Spray on all those last parts for that nice final touch. Crack open a cold one, stand back and enjoy your hard work!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

First off - Welcome Gary! :welcomebanner:

I would recommend the PC first as well. I have used both and the PC is easier to get started with. The Flex is a fine machine, but the forced rotation make the learning curve a little steeper.

It depends on what you've done in the past. I personally used a rotary a lot on boats in my younger years, so the Flex just made sense. Also the Flex reduces the amount of time it takes to get results almost in half.

So, depending on where you stand with past use, PC is DEFINITELY the easiest to use, but Flex isn't that hard and man does it work fast.

Chris

You definitely need a machine for that fleet. Both are nice & safe, the PC will allow you to use the 4" pads. However I wouldn't count the Flex out either it will achieve faster results. In the end you will have to decide what you want out of your polisher.

Another question: Why not both? :D

There is a nasty rumor going around that the newest generation of 6.25" pads will work on both machines. Learn on the PC, move up the Flex. Keep the PC as a second polisher and for using the 4" pads.

Easier to just start with the flex. I learned on the pc but find my self reverting back to pc techniques when using the flex. I try my best not to but it's a hard habit to break

You have a lot of vehicles with hard clear coat, the flex will be your best friend :)

Good luck and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It looks to

Me from your comments the best answer would be both. Now if my pocket book can take it, is the decision at this point. Thanks again to everyone. GCvette

agreed with the above, each have their place, i dont believe that they replace each other. I find myself with the flex more but also reach for the pc for the fine machine stages, idk i think it might be in my head but finishes better to me. That said I started with the PC, was a great jumping off point, made me slow down and learn technique instead.

I started with the PC since that seemed to be the general thought of where to start. Then when I got the Flex I find the PC is now used for the 4" focus pads and also use the PC with a double soft when removing MSS. The PC just takes too long, especially on the harder clear coats, such as the Vette.

They both have their place. If you can go to a clinic or spend some time with a dealer I would recommend that you do either of those to be able to get a chance to get some hands on time and feel and see for yourself which one you like. Some others feel the PC is easier but I feel the Flex is easier and smoother in addition to being faster.

:cheers:

Archived