Customer Service 866.965.0400

Synthetic Oil Question

Dreamworkz

I just want to get everyone's opinion on this subject.

When is it too late, mileage wise, to start using synthetic oil. I would like to use it in my new to me vehicle with 64k on it.

Dream Workz Auto Detailing using Tapatalk

What if you have 60k, but the car is 28 years old?

It won't matter...

Mobil 1 and many of the big box oils aren't actually synthetic. Amsoil, Redline and a few others are real synthetics.

Others are group III and Group IV dino with synthetic stabilizers and such.

Chris

You have to be careful with older engines with flat tappets. Todays oils, be it dino or synthetic, may not have the zinc content (IIRC) required. Some synthetics, like Red Line for example, have those bases covered.

If your going to switch to synthetics I would suggest one or two short oil change intervals and adding a product called HotShots to help clean the engine. I run this all the time in all my engines. There will be allot of built up gunk the synthetics are going to loosen up. So thats why I suggest a couple of short intervals. My two pennies anyway.

Sounds reasonable pjwoolw. If anyone is in need of some zinc additive let me know.

Zinc eats catalytic converters. It's great in small engines and other engines without cats though.

I run Rotella T which has some zinc in it.

Chris

Amsoil in the Diesel, mobil one in the Jeep GC, and dino oil in the Firebird as odd as that might be! I do change the oil in the Firebird once a year, which is like 1500 miles!:lol: so no need for syn.

It would be too late if the engine is burning oil due to worn oil control rings. As long as the engine is mechanically sound, you can use synthetic oil at any mileage. Just make sure you get the full benefits of the oil and not treat it the same as conventional oil when it comes to oil change intervals. I use Amsoil High Performance in my Nissan truck and I use it for one year or as many as 13,000 miles.

I have been thinking of switching myself. Just got my free oil change 2 weeks ago from the dealership where I purchased my truck but who knows what they put in it. My truck has 104k miles on it and I plan on switching to mobil 1 high mileage or extended performance with a extended performance filter.

Never to late to switch unless of course you are burning oil already. Also from my experience if you have any oil leaks they will more than likely get worse with a synthetic.

I would also recommend have an oil analysis done periodically. It is well worth the expense.

I was a Mobil 1 user in my older cars for years until I found out it is not a true synthetic. Was also using a zinc additive. Now for my collector cars I use Valvoline VR1 conventional. I just can't see the added expensive of a synthetic in a car that gets less than 1500 miles put on it in a year. In my daily drivers I use Royal Purple and run them 6k between changes.

One other thing with zinc additives. To much zinc is as harmful as not enough. Which most of the additives give you to much. I have no proof of this but I tend to believe what my mechanic and engine building friends tell me. And they all recommend only using it every other oil change.

Never to late to switch unless of course you are burning oil already. Also from my experience if you have any oil leaks they will more than likely get worse with a synthetic.

I would also recommend have an oil analysis done periodically. It is well worth the expense.

I was a Mobil 1 user in my older cars for years until I found out it is not a true synthetic. Was also using a zinc additive. Now for my collector cars I use Valvoline VR1 conventional. I just can't see the added expensive of a synthetic in a car that gets less than 1500 miles put on it in a year. In my daily drivers I use Royal Purple and run them 6k between changes.

One other thing with zinc additives. To much zinc is as harmful as not enough. Which most of the additives give you to much. I have no proof of this but I tend to believe what my mechanic and engine building friends tell me. And they all recommend only using it every other oil change.

Our Enclave has 105,000+ on it and just started seeping from what looks to be the main seal. I just changed the oil this past weekend with Mobil 1 high mileage which is supposed to help swell seals and prevent as much oil usage. It doesn't use oil, but I thought WTH, I may as well try it and see if it works.

They were having a KILLER sale on Edge Titanium so I bought 9 quarts for my G8 this time. It's there 15,000 mile oil which I'll run for 7500 or so. I'm not overly stuck on an oil brand, but tend to go for Mobil. Edge was $2.50 less per quart... :2thumbs:

Archived