Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sand in the carpet

1121ken

Question

Ok so i searched for a bit and couldnt find anything on this. I am a mini detailer here at the Naval Air Station Sigonella Italy, pays off b/c the run through car wash never works but people always come to me b/c trees run a muck here in italy on peoples cars. So here is my issue, Alot of people around here take their cars to the beach and get sand inside. Now most interiors i can get it out but there are a couple were the carpet is that style that likes to grab and hang on to things (IE DIRT/SAND). WHat techniques do you guys have for removing this? I have used the stiff carpet brush to aggitate it which seems to work for the most part but takes along time and alot of passes.

Any help would be awesome i will get some pics up of a sample car this afternoon.

12 answers to this question

What type of vacuum are you using? I know the power behind the Adams vacuum is pretty intense vs a standard shop vac.

I live a block from the beach but avoid getting sand in the SS because of the hassle.

sent via Tapatalk....

Use a plastic bristled brush similar to what is found on those heads of over the counter aerosol carpet cleaners. Brush with one hand while vacuuming with the other. The plastic bristles will agitate and loosen the sand particles and when they jump out of the fuzzy fibers, the vacuum will be right there to suck them out of the air. I just did an Audi interior that was quite possibly one of the dirtiest things I've ever worked on.....the car sat for a year or so and it had sand and small debris on all of the fuzzy seat backs and spare tire cover.

- Darryl

Use a plastic bristled brush similar to what is found on those heads of over the counter aerosol carpet cleaners. Brush with one hand while vacuuming with the other. The plastic bristles will agitate and loosen the sand particles and when they jump out of the fuzzy fibers, the vacuum will be right there to suck them out of the air. I just did an Audi interior that was quite possibly one of the dirtiest things I've ever worked on.....the car sat for a year or so and it had sand and small debris on all of the fuzzy seat backs and spare tire cover.

- Darryl

nice tip! I just detailed the inside of an Audi A4 and them carpets help on to that sand in the car like it was glued there! lots of brushing and vacuming got it up

yeah so as i can see i guess its just gonna take more time the brushing technique that i used was realtively the same brush the carpet to aggitate then vacuum then repeat and repeat and repeat lol just wondering if some one knew of a easier way thanks guys

2 vacuum attachments that you cannot be with out IMO....

1. A spinning turbo brush - just when you think you got all the dirt, this will pull more out. I use the Hoover belt driven one, straight out of the 2 1/2" shop vac hose. These work good with max airflow.

2. This kit is great. Has a very long crevice tool that you can bend in any direction, and 2 brush attachments that work great for breaking up imbedded dirt.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-32698-VT2534-AutoDetailing-Kit/dp/B004BG10S0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1332702157&sr=8-6]Amazon.com: Ridgid 32698 VT2534 AutoDetailing Kit: Home Improvement[/ame]

Like Anthony said also...some times no attachment is great. Don't overlook it. The above combined with a claw attachment, micro attachments and a little patience should tackle any job.

2 vacuum attachments that you cannot be with out IMO....

1. A spinning turbo brush - just when you think you got all the dirt, this will pull more out. I use the Hoover belt driven one, straight out of the 2 1/2" shop vac hose. These work good with max airflow.

Something like this?

K-Acc-ZIP-3T.jpg?1329982229

Archived