Customer Service 866.965.0400

lower portion polishing

Fit08

Question

I just got to wondering what the collective are doing/think of polishing the very lower "rocker" areas with pc steps on a DD.

I was just thinking that while doing to doors lower maybe ok the lower "rockers" will not really be seen well enough to show swirls specially on say white. So maybe a flip flop pad going over will do.

15 answers to this question

For me it would depend on how I wanted the entire vehicle to look. I would only be happy if I felt the entire visible paint was top notch. It's the difference between excellent and outstanding for me.

Yes , this is the part I find myself wrestling as well. Kinda inbetween I guess.

I normally dont pay to much attention to the Lower part of the car(below my door) I might just do a pass with FMP but thats it...

Yes, although I would pay attention just maybe not needing the full meal deal. I often wondered doing any pad work in the lower rocker area by hand or machine because you never get all the dirt off no matter how careful you wash. You have a very good chance of picking up a very small particle and carring it onto upper surfaces in my opinion.

I don't have a show car, so I am not doing under the doors, but I do the panels down to the bottom. I may just do one pass of each in the lower areas though, even if the other panels required more work.

Yes, although I would pay attention just maybe not needing the full meal deal. I often wondered doing any pad work in the lower rocker area by hand or machine because you never get all the dirt off no matter how careful you wash. You have a very good chance of picking up a very small particle and carring it onto upper surfaces in my opinion.

Claying will pick up any particle left on the car!:2thumbs:

I don't have a show car, so I am not doing under the doors, but I do the panels down to the bottom. I may just do one pass of each in the lower areas though, even if the other panels required more work.

This is what I meant...I do Just the panels below the door but not UNDERNEATH.

No one is going to crawl under your car to see if you polished it and if they do, they have more problems then us!:lolsmack:

most cars driven in the lower area near the road is going to be pretty heavily pitted from rocks bouncing back up. if anything take time later once you are experienced and wet sand it down, which is what I will be doing on my moms garaged summer car. for a DD i dont see the point of going that far really.

That's just a portion of a vehicle that rarely ever gets direct sunlight to show swirls.

This is the main thing here.... you'll rarely, if ever, see them b/c its an odd place for light to hit directly enough for you to get a look at them. I generally correct them when I do a full correction, but if its just touchup work I leave them alone.

I had the Avalanche up on a lift once, OH LORD, that was a can of worms b/c i realize how haggard they were and then I knew they were bad so I had to correct them even though I wouldn't ever see them when it was on the ground.

Archived