Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass cleaning issues

Yellow_Glide

Question

24 answers to this question

Well hot dog! I thought I was the only one to sit on a milk crate while detailing. I find it is the perfect height for working on my G8. :thumbsup:

You can't pass up a good milk crate: good for sitting on, good for carrying stuff. Stack'em two tall and you have a table to eat lunch on, side by side with a piece if 1x12 and you have a parts table.

The milk crate - not just for milk anymore....

Finally got back to doing the windows: clayed the exterior of the glass and the interior of the windshield. I started with a minimal amount of glass cleaner and used clean glass towels. Results were much better, still had a couple of streaks. At the end of the second cleaning everything was clear. I have some work to do on technique and the amount of product to use but it will get better with experience.

Thanks again for all the replies.

A change in technique is required, at least it was for me. At first I found that the waterless wash towels worked best for me, but that was because I used too much glass cleaner spray. Once I learned that "less was more" the glass cleaning towel worked great to get windows cleaned.

If cleaning windows on the house (windows dirty and needing more than just a "polish") I will do the following:

1) Spray window liberally

2) Use a terry cloth towel to scrub the window to remove most of the dirt

3) Barely spray window

4) Use the glass cleaning towel to polish the window clean

If cleaning the windows on the car (they are already pretty clean due to just washing the car)

1) Barely spray window (less than a full spray for a typical side window)

2) Use the glass cleaning towel to polish the window clean

:cheers:

Finally got back to doing the windows: clayed the exterior of the glass and the interior of the windshield. I started with a minimal amount of glass cleaner and used clean glass towels. Results were much better, still had a couple of streaks. At the end of the second cleaning everything was clear. I have some work to do on technique and the amount of product to use but it will get better with experience.

Thanks again for all the replies.

... I'm pretty good at hitting the can from 14' over the top of the car and a motorcycle while sitting on a milk crate.

Well hot dog! I thought I was the only one to sit on a milk crate while detailing. I find it is the perfect height for working on my G8. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the responses. I think my problem may have been a combination of things: on the verge of using too much product (especially on the inside), using the wrong side when flipping the towel and possibly contaminating the towel with glass sealer. Washed the dirty towels and have them stored with the new towels in clear plastic shoe boxes - bet you can't guess whose closet I got those from. Five plastic boxes, four types of towels and some miscellaneous items, math worked for me and besides it helps keep things organized... :D

Will try cleaning the glass again this weekend and provide an update. Thanks again for all the tips.

The glass cleaner is great, just don't use too much. Having the second dry towel is necessary IF you use too much with the first towel.

Like the other post said, I also use Brilliant Glaze when I have some glass with a stubborn streak residue. The BG cleans it right off and then follow up with the glass cleaner. :cheers:

yes,news paper works great. it is a old fashioned way and i remember my grandmother useing it on house windows with a mixture of water and viniger. :2thumbs:

Actually Adams glass MF and glass cleaner is the best way I've found to clean glass. We don't use anything else inside or outside our home.

Try it and you too will be amazed. Invisible is good, but Adams is just that much better.

So what is the trick for using the glass cleaner? Three cleanings Sunday, two last night and three just now and still have streaks. Tried the microfiber towel, paper towels, newspaper. Any suggestions??

use ************** after you clay bar the glass.if you run your car through a car wash that waxes your car the wax coates your glass too. so clay bar it off your glass then clean with ******************. it works alot better then windex. :patriot:

Thanks for the advice. More Glass towels (along with single soft and waterless wash) on the way and the current towels are in the wash. Think I'll try about half of the windshield with alcohol and or clay - may have to email Jarrod for some.

Started with a new bar of clay on Saturday and used half of it: kept throwing it on the ground for some reason. Wasn't my first choice but I did it three times! First piece did over half the car and threw it on the ground when I started on the rear passenger side, second and third piece each did about 6 inches on the lower panel behind the rear tire and each hit the ground. After the second piece I left the trash can open - I'm pretty good at hitting the can from 14' over the top of the car and a motorcycle while sitting on a milk crate.

I had this problem on my last car and before I used Adam's. Anyway, I wiped the windshield down with alcohol first (don't use a good towel for this) and then used the window cleaner. The streaks were gone. Glass can get a film buildup that can be difficult to get off, the alcohol did the trick for me. Or instead of an alcohol wipe down you can clay bar the windshield first, this should work also. Be sure your good window towel is washed before you use it again. Hope this helps. Streaky windows are very annoying.

Archived