Customer Service 866.965.0400

A great tip from AOL news about car care

ChargerMatt

Question

Repurposing Ideas: 5 New Uses For Vegetable Oil

Repurposing Ideas: 5 New Uses For Vegetable Oil

We all know that vegetable oil is an incredibly useful tool in the kitchen. Did you know that there are countless household uses for vegetable oil? Here are some of our favorite uses for the neutral oil that don't involve cooking. As always, please share your favorite uses in our comments section.

s-5-NEW-USES-FOR-VEGETABLE-OIL-large300.jpg

Cottonseed oil, a type of vegetable oil. Flickr photo by Cottonseed Oil

KEY LOCK HELPER

Does the lock on your front door never want to give up your house key? Try wiping your key down with some vegetable oil. It acts as a lubricant, helping the key to get into the lock more freely. HAIR MOISTURIZER

You can use vegetable oil as a deep conditioning treatment. Just take about half a cup of oil and warm it at 50% power in the microwave until it's just above room temperature. Massage the vegetable oil into your hair, shampoo and then rinse.

CAR CLEANER

Whether you are trying to get rid of the brake dust that accumulates on your tires and hub caps, or the bugs, dirt or pollen that always stick to your car's grill and wind shield, skip the special auto cleaners and use vegetable oil instead. Pour a tiny bit onto a paper towel or a rag, and wipe down these surfaces. The vegetable oil helps wipe the gunk away while creating a car-safe coating that future debris won't stick to.

NON-STICK SHOVELS

With all the spring/summer gardening and yard work, you can use vegetable oil to coat your shovels and trowels. This helps prevent dirt from clumping on your tools. You can also do this trick to your lawnmower blades so grass doesn't stick to them. If you are in a pinch, you can also coat the "working parts" of your hand tools with vegetable cooking spray.

SEASON YOUR POTS AND PANS

This might not be the most groundbreaking of tips, but you can use vegetable oil to season a new skillet. A light coating of vegetable oil helps protect the pan. Although there are very many different ways to season it, this is my preferred: After washing the pan for the first time, rub a little bit of vegetable oil over the surface of the pan and the sides. You don't have to worry about the bottom.

I love these awesome tips!

17 answers to this question

CAR CLEANER

Whether you are trying to get rid of the brake dust that accumulates on your tires and hub caps, or the bugs, dirt or pollen that always stick to your car's grill and wind shield, skip the special auto cleaners and use vegetable oil instead. Pour a tiny bit onto a paper towel or a rag, and wipe down these surfaces. The vegetable oil helps wipe the gunk away while creating a car-safe coating that future debris won't stick to.

smiley_emoticons_panik.gifsmiley-signs053.gifthnoooway.gif

Debris won't stick? ththbelieve.gif

I'm sure all of these tips have been tested and verified by the obviously 'gifted' author.

I would love to see him wipe a car down and go for a drive down here in dusty NM. :willy:

I'm also glad to know any skillet can be seasoned by wiping oil on it.

Ah, AOL, the prodigy.net that no one could ever kill...

I always get crap for still having an @AOL email address. I'm in the process of converting all of my mailings to my new gmail address but I'm paranoid I won't get something important. I get important emails all the time and I hate missing an opportunity.

But I love the news they post! Everything from politics to sports to bizarre stories... and the reality show updates :gag:

I always get crap for still having an @AOL email address. I'm in the process of converting all of my mailings to my new gmail address but I'm paranoid I won't get something important. I get important emails all the time and I hate missing an opportunity.

But I love the news they post! Everything from politics to sports to bizarre stories... and the reality show updates :gag:

Still have mine too man! Never check it but once a month or so...but hey, that was my FIRST EMAIL!

Set up your AOL to forward all your emails to your gmail account. That's what I did for my school email account.

As for the OP -- We should find out who wrote this and go put oil all over his/her car; free detail? :D

My grandmother still uses her AOL address too. But then again, she is going to be 97 in a few months. (97 not a typo)

Set up your AOL to forward all your emails to your gmail account. That's what I did for my school email account.

As for the OP -- We should find out who wrote this and go put oil all over his/her car; free detail? :D

That's part of the reason I switched email accounts... the amount of SPAM I was getting!

Now I use the AOL for random sign-ups and the gmail for, well, everything else.

I'm in the process of converting all of my mailings to my new gmail address but I'm paranoid I won't get something important.

Like the tip on using vegetable oil as a detailing aid?

This is a belated April fools joke, right? It's a shame the comment section on this article is closed. Paper towel on my clear coat? CRINGE!!

And the word "rag" is synonymous to scratching to me.

And I'm sure puitting an oil film on your windshield increases visibility :lol:

Edited by colodude18