Customer Service 866.965.0400

"Bad" water

Bobtorious

Question

I live in an area which has very "unfiltered" water. My problem is if I wash my vehicle, pool rinse it, and then dry with a leaf blower, I get these "spots" where the water has evaporated and left the minerals behind. It also tends to leave a nice film on my glass. The only way I can get these deposits off is to then detail spray the entire vehicle.

The line I wash from is soft water, so I'm guessing it's some other kind of mineral deposit that's hanging around. Does anyone else have really bad water, and if so, how do you handle the minerals?

You can find in line filters at your local hardware store that might help, but they tend to really slow the water pressure too.

Just in-line mineral filters?? I wish I knew what was in my water. I'd take the lower water pressure to not have to deal with this horrendous water.

LOVE the new Sig brother.

:patriot:

Just in-line mineral filters?? I wish I knew what was in my water. I'd take the lower water pressure to not have to deal with this horrendous water.

I'd imagine thats what it is... can't think of what else might be leaving a film on your glass and spots on your paint. Wonder if theres a way to have your water analyzed to see whats coming out of it. Until you know the cause specifically its hard to fix it without just trying different stuff.

"Soft" water has salt added, no? Isn't that basically how those systems work?

Just thinking this through outloud...instead of air drying (essentially forcing the air to evaporate on the surface), maybe try towel drying with DS as a drying agent. Then you are lifting the water from the surface, along with any minerals in it. That MAY help.

They make whole house filters too. They're basically a vessel filled with fine sand. The sand filters the water before you use it. Many well users use them.

Chris

Just thinking this through outloud...instead of air drying (essentially forcing the air to evaporate on the surface), maybe try towel drying with DS as a drying agent. Then you are lifting the water from the surface, along with any minerals in it. That MAY help.

You might be right... though I have very little experience with filter systems. If that was the case though, perhaps the system is too heavy on the salt and thats whats leaving the spots??

from Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D.

Regular tap water contains very little sodium. The amount of sodium a water softener adds to tap water depends on the "hardness" of the water. Hard water contains large amounts of calcium and magnesium. Some water-softening systems remove calcium and magnesium ions and replace them with sodium ions. The higher the concentration of calcium and magnesium, the more sodium needed to soften the water. Even so, the added sodium doesn't add up to much.

An 8-ounce (237-milliliter) glass of softened water generally contains less than 12.5 milligrams of sodium, which is well within the Food and Drug Administration's definition of "very low sodium." The majority of sodium in the average diet comes from table salt and processed foods. Thus, the best way to decrease the sodium in your diet is by cutting back on table salt and processed foods.

If you're on a diet that calls for very little sodium and you're concerned about the amount of sodium in your softened water, talk with your doctor. He or she may suggest testing the sodium concentration of your water or switching to a type of water-purification system that doesn't replace magnesium and calcium with sodium. Another option is to soften only the hot water and use unsoftened cold water for drinking and cooking.

You might be right... though I have very little experience with filter systems. If that was the case though, perhaps the system is too heavy on the salt and thats whats leaving the spots??

I know some softening systems require salt to be added. Filtration systems (like RO) just pull stuff out of the water. We actually had a "hard water" spigot installed at our house, just so that the soft water wasn't used for car washing.

Sounds like this is just going to take some experimentation.

I know some softening systems require salt to be added. Filtration systems (like RO) just pull stuff out of the water. We actually had a "hard water" spigot installed at our house, just so that the soft water wasn't used for car washing.

Sounds like this is just going to take some experimentation.

Indeed, soft water has salt added. I'm going to go troll around the hardware stores for a while. I'll report back with any purchases I make :)

Yup, I've been toweling drying in the interim. I'd just prefer not to if I don't have to.

Bob - you are likely seeing the sodium in your softened water. Maybe some other minerals but likely the sodium.

The carbon / charcoal filters or sediment filters available from your hardware store won't remove the sodium which is completely dissolved in the water. The carbon / charcoal filters are designed to remove tastes and odors from the water.

Sediment filters are designed to remove contaminants that are not dissolved like niphkin described - items that you can see if you pour water in a glass. Sometimes the sediment will settle to the bottom of the glass.

Have you thought about using purified water (RO or distilled water) for a final rinse? If you have a source for inexpensive bulk water, you could pour 3 - 5 gallons of purified water over the surface of your vehicle(s).

I live in Vegas and the water here is very hard, add to that the heat, and it makes drying the car a nightmare! Well I went on an internet search and found a filter called CR-spotless water. It is a resin the removes ALL the minerals (de-ionized water). I also found out they sell it at cosco for cheaper than the website.

Anyway. I wash my car with regular hose water and when I'm ready to rinse I use the quick disconnects to switch to the cr spotless water filter and rinse away. Now if the water dries, there are no spots whatsoever!!! This thing has made car washing so much less stressful for me! It is expensive and the replacement resin ain't cheap either, but I love it! And would never wash my car without it again!!! Give it a look-see. And know that it does what it claims to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob - you are likely seeing the sodium in your softened water. Maybe some other minerals but likely the sodium.

The carbon / charcoal filters or sediment filters available from your hardware store won't remove the sodium which is completely dissolved in the water. The carbon / charcoal filters are designed to remove tastes and odors from the water.

Sediment filters are designed to remove contaminants that are not dissolved like niphkin described - items that you can see if you pour water in a glass. Sometimes the sediment will settle to the bottom of the glass.

Have you thought about using purified water (RO or distilled water) for a final rinse? If you have a source for inexpensive bulk water, you could pour 3 - 5 gallons of purified water over the surface of your vehicle(s).

To be honest, that thought never crossed my mind. In all my previous residences, the water lines were hard. For whatever reason in this house, the lines running to the outdoors are SOFT (I've traced them back). I may have to get my soldering skills ready and move some pipes.

I live in Vegas and the water here is very hard, add to that the heat, and it makes drying the car a nightmare! Well I went on an internet search and found a filter called CR-spotless water. It is a resin the removes ALL the minerals (de-ionized water). I also found out they sell it at cosco for cheaper than the website.

Anyway. I wash my car with regular hose water and when I'm ready to rinse I use the quick disconnects to switch to the cr spotless water filter and rinse away. Now if the water dries, there are no spots whatsoever!!! This thing has made car washing so much less stressful for me! It is expensive and the replacement resin ain't cheap either, but I love it! And would never wash my car without it again!!! Give it a look-see. And know that it does what it claims to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds awesome, I will look into this. Thanks a lot!

Bob - another thought if you want less fuss, if you have a water treatment company in your area, you could rent a DI (deionization) tank for your final product rinse too. Most of the larger dealers (i.e. Culligan, ECOWater, etc.) have the DI tanks available for rent on an exchange basis.

Some car dealers use the rental tanks where the water is real hard for a true spot-free rinse.

Bob - another thought if you want less fuss, if you have a water treatment company in your area, you could rent a DI (deionization) tank for your final product rinse too. Most of the larger dealers (i.e. Culligan, ECOWater, etc.) have the DI tanks available for rent on an exchange basis.

Some car dealers use the rental tanks where the water is real hard for a true spot-free rinse.

Just wanted to throw another round of thanks in this thread for everyone's replies. They've all been incredibly helpful! Cheers!

I live in an area which has very "unfiltered" water. My problem is if I wash my vehicle, pool rinse it, and then dry with a leaf blower, I get these "spots" where the water has evaporated and left the minerals behind. It also tends to leave a nice film on my glass. The only way I can get these deposits off is to then detail spray the entire vehicle.

The line I wash from is soft water, so I'm guessing it's some other kind of mineral deposit that's hanging around. Does anyone else have really bad water, and if so, how do you handle the minerals?

I have Well water and when washing, it leaves water spots. So I "tried" the filters - all kinds of them. I don't have the link right now but they sell a portable machine for over $300.00+ that is on wheels and can take it to any water faucet. It's filled full of chemicals which you have to replace at about $87.00 a bag. The one machine I ordered will do a lot of vehicles, depending on the amount of water pressure you have.

I will do a search for that link and hopefully get back to you tonight or tomorrow. This is the only way to go. No more water spots! :cheers:

I wonder if you could load up one of those pump garden sprayers with distilled water and just spray down the car with the distilled water - displace and/or dilute the harder tap water... ??

If I do this, the neighbors will really think I'm nuts..well, more nuts for washing the car the way I do. :jester:

I have Well water and when washing, it leaves water spots. So I "tried" the filters - all kinds of them. I don't have the link right now but they sell a portable machine for over $300.00+ that is on wheels and can take it to any water faucet. It's filled full of chemicals which you have to replace at about $87.00 a bag. The one machine I ordered will do a lot of vehicles, depending on the amount of water pressure you have.

I will do a search for that link and hopefully get back to you tonight or tomorrow. This is the only way to go. No more water spots! :cheers:

I think you're referring to the CR spotless system. Seems like it would be great for a final rinse.