Customer Service 866.965.0400

This Makes Me Angry

Diggerdan11

So the Olympics are coming up and Team USA will be sporting some uniforms designed by Ralph Lauren, but all the articles they athletes will be wearing will be made overseas.:mad:

Team USA uniforms reportedly made in China -- again | Fox News

This was the cas in the 2008 olympics as well. You would think with the amount of money they are spending on these uniforms they could be mad in America.

I actually think its quite fitting...in an odd, wasn't meant to be sort of way..we've developed as a society into "consumers"...what more fitting than an Olympic Uniform made by workers in another country?!

FREAKIN' IRONY!!! I both LOVE and HATE it...but that leads down a road of politics and beliefs which is no such topic for a forum ;):patriot:

Since the US team is NOT funded by the US government like most (if not all) the other teams in the world are, they take donations and sponsors. It's hard to tell a sponsor who may be fully GIVING you clothes, where to make them.

I'm not happy to see them made in China, but it is what it is...

I agree, but what also p!sses me off is the recent flurry of BP commercials talking about "our" US Olympic Team. Seriously? BRITISH Petroleum?

You would think that their time is better spent checking the caps on wells in the Gulf. Really, the Olympics will run themselves. No need for Big Oil to get involved there! :willy: :willy: :willy:

I agree, but what also p!sses me off is the recent flurry of BP commercials talking about "our" US Olympic Team. Seriously? BRITISH Petroleum?

You would think that their time is better spent checking the caps on wells in the Gulf. Really, the Olympics will run themselves. No need for Big Oil to get involved there! :willy: :willy: :willy:

Buddy I agree and see what you're trying to say. Let me prefice this by saying I've been called an "idealist" more times than I care to count, however, at the end of the day...in today's time and age, everything is about the almighty dollar including the advertising for a GLOBAL event involving ALL people. Its a product of our lifetime and our global society. I'm gonna state my opinion about something I truly believe and it's not gonna sit right with most people but I honestly feel the worst invention we as people have ever come up with is the concept of money...it holds zero value. It's only worth what we say it's worth, if I wrote $1 billion dollars on a sheet of paper and got enough people to believe and back up my claim, is that sheet of paper then worth $1 billion dollars?? No I'm sorry it's not. We fight, we go to war, we commit crimes, we hustle one another, we abandon what our own country was founded on, we sell out selfs our for that almighty dollar that we give a false sense of power to. Until as a group of people denounce that false worth we will continue to sell advertising slots and export jobs and businesses elsewhere in the name of more dollars saved and earned....my grandfather worked his *** off for US Steel here in birmingham AL he MADE things BUILT things, the plant was shut down in favor of a more cost effective workforce and method. 2 generations later my world and country no longer makes anything built here in the USA. The American dream? Dude you're looking at it everyday! We as a people would rather buy and pay for others to shove their message in our face than to make out own statement with our actions. Im not quite sure if my jumbled up thoughts and beliefs are being conveyed correctly but I'll just say this: it deeply saddens me that we've fallen so far and I think we can do and owe each other and our founders better than what we all have become. But then again I may alone in these thoughts...

It is embarrassing for the US Olympic Committee. They can set rules.

However, many sponsors are international (the line is blurred) so to me BP sponsoring is a non-issue. They just spent a fortune paying fines for the Gulf of Mexico spills. Please remember that BP is the company formed by British Petroleum and AMOCO.

Well at least the USOC has announced that the 2014 uniforms will be made in the USA. Supposedly it's too late to make a change to this year's uniforms...

I'm not a huge Facebook/Twitter proponent, because of the privacy many people are giving up either unknowingly or reluctantly, but this is one of the things that I LOVE about the social media: the power of the people can be concentrated and used to influence the media, government and large corporations. It's just sad that this is even necessary as to most of us it seems intuitive that uniforms of a team representing the US would be made "at home".

All the Gold, Silver and Bronze used in the medals for both the Olympics and Paralympics was mined here in the US. In regards to the uniform issue, it is unfortunate that it happened. Embarrassing IMO.

London 2012 Olympics: digging deep for medal gold in Utah hills - Telegraph

The mine as seen from space.

The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth

Edited by LFairbanks