Customer Service 866.965.0400

'55 Chevy Engine Rebuild

randyfox

Matt the more you talk, the more I like you.

:lol:

Haha thanks Mook! I don't know everything, but enough to make my motors dangerous to anyone else. :2thumbs:

I will definitely take the cam suggestion to heart. I may even look at other options as well, but the reason I was looking at a kit was for the sake of simplicity and buget. I cannot remember for the life of me what the stall is on it right now, but the transmission is a built 700R.

The decision to run a different intake is also partly to do with aesthetics as well as performance. The truck intakes are ugly quite frankly. ;)

Oh I agree the truck intake looks ugly without any cover on the top. I was just going off of the truck vs car intake manifold itself. There are some kits out there that will transform the look of the newer LS motor into an older one but most delete the DBW (Drive By Wire) setup and thus further tuning is needed among other things. Nothing wrong with having some modern power under the hood. :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well luckily for me LS/GEN IV SBC engines in '55 Chevys sit real low, so clearance is a non-issue.

The first thing right off the bat is long tubes. I am going to need to swap the exhaust manifolds out anyways due to my current exhaust is set up for long tubes already. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am trying to learn as much as I can in a short amount of time because I am jumping into the new school small blocks head first here! :lol:

Well luckily for me LS/GEN IV SBC engines in '55 Chevys sit real low, so clearance is a non-issue.

The first thing right off the bat is long tubes. I am going to need to swap the exhaust manifolds out anyways due to my current exhaust is set up for long tubes already. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am trying to learn as much as I can in a short amount of time because I am jumping into the new school small blocks head first here! :lol:

Sounds great about the clearance! I'm not sure about other things that will be up and around your exhaust but on the 5.3L I swapped into my Jeep I'm running a set of Sanderson headers. They are made here in the USA and offer up some nice headers depending on what you can run clearance wise. For mine I ran their shorty block hugger headers since clearance were very tight but they do offer a long tube version. Check them out here. For the car I'm going to be running a set of Kooks or American Racing headers with high flow cats. Even tho I could get the tune close to smelling like I have cats on a non-catted vehicle since my ID850 injectors are completely characterizable to allow me to control specific fuel delivery, I'd just rather run a set of high flow cats and be done with it.

Anyway before I get too far ahead of myself and on different topics those companies should get your started for good header companies to go with your new powerplant. I would recommend the 1-7/8" tubes from Kooks or ARH for the power you're going to be putting out. ARH does offer some Camaro sets with 2" tubes but unless you plan on going even more radical, it isn't necessary. I know the 1-5/8" by Sanderson should be good enough as well since they are VERY free flowing and not too many bends going on with those.

I have a set of Sandersons on the 383, so they were on the short list if choices. As are the Kooks. Looking at their sites, there isn't a specific option for Tri-Fives with LS swaps, so I may have to email them or try to call from here some how.

I have a set of Sandersons on the 383, so they were on the short list if choices. As are the Kooks. Looking at their sites, there isn't a specific option for Tri-Fives with LS swaps, so I may have to email them or try to call from here some how.

You sir, have good tastes. :2thumbs:

I will definitely take the cam suggestion to heart. I may even look at other options as well, but the reason I was looking at a kit was for the sake of simplicity and budget.

Like the Trickflow setup you mentioned and the vendors Matt said, the key is to get the cam and heads matched (and the intake and throttle body as well). And I don't need to tell you at this point that "budget" is a four letter word.;)

Hahaha, that's the truth. I should know better then to use that filthy word!

That was the whole rationale for going with a kit like the Trick Flow GenX rather than piecing one together myself. I have read a lot of different combos that would work well, but I am fine with "cheating" and going with a kit to ensure everything is dyno matched for compatibility.

The headers are going to be the first after market purchase for this new set up, so I need to quit worrying about the other go-fast goodies until then!

Hahaha, that's the truth. I should know better then to use that filthy word!

That was the whole rationale for going with a kit like the Trick Flow GenX rather than piecing one together myself. I have read a lot of different combos that would work well, but I am fine with "cheating" and going with a kit to ensure everything is dyno matched for compatibility.

The headers are going to be the first after market purchase for this new set up, so I need to quit worrying about the other go-fast goodies until then!

Vengeance Racing and Texas Speed can put together everything you need as well. Whatever you do, DO NOT deal with Livernois. Horrible customer support and all they want is your money. After that, it's your problem.

I was just looking at this set up from Texas Speed. :drool:

Precision Race Components Stg. 2.5 LQ9/6.0L Heads & Cam Package

I really like this one and like how it is LQ9 specific. The Trick Flow one is really meant for the LS2. I mean, they are very similar, but it is nice to know they took that into consideration. A lot of options, so I am definitely going to need to talk to them a bit before I pull the trigger.

I spoke to American Racing on FB earlier and they are saying that since they dont offer a '55 Chevy with LS swap set they would be a custom order...but they would need the car there to mock up and build the set! :( Then shortly after they commented that they will get back to me. I don't know if that means they might have the specs to a previous build that is similar or what. Bottom line is, I may need a plan B!

:bump:

Back, with a nice little update. I got an email over the weekend from John, the owner of the shop doing the work for me. He is also the one working on my car, so he was kind enough to snap a few progress pics. He ended up going with some shorties due to some clearance issues with the 700R transmission. He also was able to drop the engine to mock everything up to check clearances. Looks like I will need a different oil pan as well as relocate the coil packs because they are hitting the brake booster on the driver's side of the engine bay. While the engine is back out I am going to have him tuck as much as possible and paint the firewall black to clean up the bay. I'm also going to have him look at getting a LS6 intake assembly, if it fits into the current swap budget. If not, it will have to wait for a later date. It's getting a little exciting...

Nice! Those truck pans do hang down wayyyyy low. I had to swap oil pans when I put mine in the Jeep. Now the oil pan and the transmission pan are nearly even across the bottoms. Many guys will swap to an F-body style oil pan with the improved baffle in the pan to help prevent oil sloshing.

I went with a Kevko oil pan but for your application, and what I would have went with if it was available at the time, I would look into the MAST Motorsports pan if you want to add an oil cooler to your motor. It is a pretty slick setup that makes it VERY easy to run a cooler and keeps the filter in the factory location. You can also run it without any oil cooler and it will act exactly like a factory oil pan. They aren't cheap but they are a nice product.

There is a ton of info all over the LS forums about the F-body oil pan and all of the correct part numbers. If you need help sourcing anything, just let me know and I can do some digging for ya. It's the least I can do while you're protecting our nation :patriot:

Also those look like some Sanderson shorties correct? Can't go wrong with them! I'm still kicking myself for not getting the coated option when I ordered them. Keep up the good work!

Hey Matt, I appreciate it. I may take you up on it because LS1tech and another I can't think of at the moment doesn't seem to want to load on the computer here. Weird. I will let you know when I make a decision on the oil pan.

Mook, it's exciting isnt it? The only thing that sucks is that I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a LS2 intake set up, but then I did a bit of research and didnt like what I saw. I backed out of that, but it is back to square one again with that. Going to keep the ugly stock intake until I am ready to do the whole top end as I planned. It's either a FAST or Edelbrock me thinks. Might as well, you know?

• 1 month later...

:bump:

Back with more updates! The firewall painted, coil packs relocated, new valve covers on, new A/C compressor, accessory drive brackets and new oil pan installed. Engine is in the bay to stay this time I think. With any luck, we should be doing a test fire soon! :xfingers:

Awesome build man! That intake is HUGE though. My guess is it's tuned for torque. I'd definitely pull one off an LS2 or the like. Looks like you'd need a different fuel rail setup too. Take a look at a G8 oil pan. It may work better for you. It also holds 8.9 qts of oil... ;)

Edited by Chewy

Thanks man! The intake is the original truck intake, which will be swapped in favor of an Edelbrock Pro Flo XT down the road. I am sure the fuel rails will be upgraded at the time when I do.

Cool! It looks a bit truck like right now. :2thumbs:

The original brackets worked, but would of likely been in the way had I decided to go with a passenger car intake off of a LS engine or even a FAST. It might not of been an issue with the Edelbrock I have decided on, but that's fine. I like the way this looks a lot better. The alternator sat so high before reletive to everything else it was comical.