Customer Service 866.965.0400

'55 Chevy Engine Rebuild

randyfox

Well, this was certainly not planned! The reason why there hasn't been any posts or threads about my 55 in a while is due to the fact I couldn't get it running. I thought it was the starter not being powerful enough. Then I thought maybe the timing was off. Then I thought I had a bad distributor cap. Then I noticed bad plug wires. The more I poked around, the more I found.

First I pulled off the cap and found two green terminals. I cleaned those up with a bore brush (everyone in the Army should have one of those lying around!). While I was at it, I ordered the plug wires. With those installed and the cap back on there, I tried to fire it up. No luck. Not even close. I went back to my original thought: weak starter.

Turns out the starter was powerful enough, a TCI high torque unit more than capable of turning that engine over. But it wasn't engaging the flexplate long enough and deep enough. Resulting in uneven wear on the starter gear and the flexplate. With those two parts replaced, I tried again. Fail. It seemed far more willing to turn over, but no luck. Time to take it a shop. I was out of ideas.

Turns out there was a short in the distributor so it had to be replaced. Still didn't fire. They felt that the engine was just too tight feeling. The pulled off the valve covers and a couple of rocker arms to discover a bent push rod! Now the top end is pulled off with the exception of the heads themselves. This is what has been found so far:

Two bent pushrods and lobes of the cam wiped (rounded off)!

026.jpg

Over half the lifters concaved:

027.jpg

Cam bearing:

022.jpg

The top end in pieces:

029.jpg

The block as it sits right now:

021.jpg

The mechanic thinks this was caused by the valvetrain just being set too tight. I know it sitting in storage off and on for the last few years didn't help either. All I know is that this is tough to look at right now. So I made a thread because we are going to be doing some mods, albeit some unintended ones...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy could you do me a huge favor? The latch area on the back door for the top glass, could you snap a picture or 2 of the hinge unit for me? We have an ol station wagon and that part on ours broke but I believe its a '54. Just trying to see if the part matches to broaden the car we could find the part on instead of the exact car as the car is nearly impossible to find in junkyards here in the south that we know of. Maybe you have a parts supplier you could recommend as well for it? Any help would be great.

Oh and sorry to see the motor work but the good news is hopefully it will be built better than before!

I'm afraid I am un able to help you because I have a two door sedan and not a wagon. As far as a part supplier is concerned, I don't have a good one for pre 1955. A quick google search yielded a site called Chevsofthe40s.com that specializes in 1937-1954 Chevys. Hope that helps some!

It certainly has crossed my mind...

I'm a resto mod kind of guy... The looks of old, and the reliability and power of new. There's nothing like 500+ RWHP in an 'ol chevy like that...;)

Ugh. Copy and pasted from Facebook so I don't have to type this all again :explode: :

It's official. The engine in the '55 needs to be rebuilt along with machine work on top of that. It might actually be the time to really consider a LS swap after all. I know I have asked this question before, but if it was you, what would you do? The number 3 piston was rusted to the cylinder from water somehow getting in the engine. All cylinder walls were scored as well. I would have to magna-flux the block, re-bore the block, machine the cam bearing, replace all of the pistons and rings, re-balance everything, replace the push rods, cam, lifters and springs since they were too heavy duty for the set up and wiped the lobes off the cam, and clean up the heads. Or swap in a LS engine and transmission. This is really tough. I am really at a crossroads here, so any input would really help!

Thinking a LS2 or LS3 if I go the LS route. Really, it boils down to money. The thought process is that I pay off part of the swap with parting out the good components of my current set up and paying the the rest of it off with the additional money from deployment.

LS swap would be cool! LS2 you'd have to get used but fairly cheap. LS3 would most likely be new unless you find a used one out of a totalled C6 vette.

maybe price out both options and let the money do the talkin' for ya?!?

Bump for pics! Avert your eyes if you are squeamish with engine carnage.

Top end before the engine was pulled. Valve covers off, rocker arms and push rods removed, and cam pulled out.

023.jpg

Cam bearing needs to be re-machined.

022.jpg

The next set of pictures are of cylinder #3, where the piston had rusted to the cylinder wall.

012.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

Piston #3.

015.jpg

Heads. As you could guess, the corroded combustion chamber is #3.

017.jpg

018.jpg

0232.jpg

024.jpg

Rocker arms. Damage to the push rod seats on the first two and damage to the valve spring side on the last.

0202.jpg

0212.jpg

0222.jpg

Oil pan sludge.

013.jpg

014.jpg

Scored cylinder walls.

2 and 4

0262.jpg

6 and 8

0272.jpg

5 and 7