Customer Service 866.965.0400

'55 Chevy Engine Rebuild

randyfox

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not entirely sure. It sat outside off and on for a couple of years in California after my Dad passed away, so that could of been part of it. But it ran when I got it to Texas in 2010, albeit it definitely felt like it was down on power. The previous owner before my Dad did mention that it did have a different motor before and that this one was built with selling it in mind. There are a lot of great parts in there, but it almost seems like it was hastily put together. The cam being wiped like that along with those worn lifters and bent push rods suggest that the valve train was too tight, and the stout for a hydralic cam valve springs certainly didn't help. All we know at this point is that there was water in the bottom end and that's about it. How exactly things ended up like are a bit of a mystery at this point.

It will be! I am just a little apprehensive about spending the money for a LS conversion. That would put me at a little less than twice the amount it would take to actually rebuild. But, idea of easily making as much power as before, or much more, with decent mileage and turn key reliability is extremely enticing!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be afraid to go with a truck engine as they are cheaper and plentiful, and have great heads so a cam swap really wakes them up.

However, as much of a Gen III/IV proponent as I am, it's always bothered me that they don't sound "right" in the old hot rods due to their firing order. And though I think carburetors work on voodoo, again the old cars look better when you pop the hood and there's a big round air cleaner on top.

Having said all that, for my money I'd probably swap in a late-model fuel injected engine. I thought through this for my old truck, and the hp/dollar is hard to beat when comparing a takeout 5.3 (with cam upgrade) or LS1 to a 350+hp old school carb setup. Not to mention driveability and fuel economy. But I also realize they don't just drop right in; you have to do a little fab work for motor mounts and maybe trans mount, plus all the considerations for electronics (though all these things are available in well designed kits these days).

It's a tough call, and I guess your skill level and how you plan to use the car are the deciding factors. Oh yeah, and $$$.

Edited by Redbeard

Yeah, it was a tough call. I really was conflicted because I wanted that old-school, spirit-of-hotrodding 383 stroker rebuilt and back in there. But, the more I thought about it, I was already leaning towards ditching the Holley for an EFI conversion before all of this happened. Then as I began to see the writing on the wall, and a rebuild was likely, I began to kick around the idea of going III or IV Gen. This is really the way forward for us Chevy guys, even in our old school rides.

I am all about a truck engine. To keep costs reasonable, I am likely going with a LQ9 6.0 liter longblock and retaining the great 700R that I already have. The LQ9 with the right cam, heads, LT headers and a good intake manifold will make over 500hp/tq that is easily streetable and reliable with a good tune.

I know they sound odd sometimes in a older car, but with a cam and free flowing exhaust, these motors can sound downright beastly!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The day before I left for deployment I ordered a LQ9. The plan is to get it running while I am away and then worry about modding it down the road. It is amazing what kind of power they make with a well matched top end.

• 2 months later...

LOL! Unfortunately, with those massive drag radials in the rear, I don't think I am going to fool anyone! Hopefully with the top end kit and new intake manifold later on, it won't look just like it came out of a HD 2500. ;)

Not a bad setup. I'm running the smaller brother motor (5.3L) in my Jeep and it's awesome. Drivability is improved so much it's unreal. Now, you thinking about keeping this one NA or possibly going with FI down the road at some point? You can make these things sounds as sleeper or as nasty as you want. They are fun to build :)

It would be kinda cool if you could fit a blower underneath that Vortec cover for the full "sleeper" effect.:burnout:

its definitely possible. the tall intake manifold on the truck engines is about the same height as a magnacharger. with a little trimming to the cover, you could camoflauge it. but why would you wanna cover up something so beautiful? :D

Right now, the plan is to stay N/A and make over 500 rwhp/tq on the set up without compromising drivability. With a good tune, I know it is possible.

I want to do the full top-end kit like this one here:

Trick Flow® 550 HP GenX® Top-End Engine Kits for GM LS2 - trickflow.com

As far as the intake manifold is concerned, I am really leaning towards the Edelbrock:

Edelbrock.com - Electronic Fuel Injection - Manifolds - Chevy LS

Ha! I wish! Although, looking at your thread you definately have a lot of work ahead of you.

I have quite a bit to do as well besides getting it running again, but all in due time. I have some cosmetic issues, as well as possibly needing to redo the carpet because it got wet when it was sitting in California (which means the weatherstriping is bad too) after my Dad passed away.

Right now, the plan is to stay N/A and make over 500 rwhp/tq on the set up without compromising drivability. With a good tune, I know it is possible.

I want to do the full top-end kit like this one here:

Trick Flow® 550 HP GenX® Top-End Engine Kits for GM LS2 - trickflow.com

As far as the intake manifold is concerned, I am really leaning towards the Edelbrock:

Edelbrock.com - Electronic Fuel Injection - Manifolds - Chevy LS

It seems like you could run a bit more of a cam to be comfortably into the 500rwhp/rwtq area. What size stall are you running and what trans? May I suggest giving Texas Speed or Vengeance Racing a call and see what they would put in there bumpstick wise. A lot of the guys that run truck motors in other than truck applications (Jeeps, Ultra 4 rigs, ....) get pretty good recommendations from them and they seem to be spot on. The specs on the cam that I was going to run if I stayed NA in the G8 was going to be a Vengeance Racing grind 231/243 .617/.624 115+3. That was their old Stage III cam but they have now released a newer Stage III cam that is called the Kaotik cam. Specs are 235/243 620/623 113+2LSA. Below is a quick explanation of why they changed the cam specs.

"We have found that the “original” Stage III Camshaft had too much of a split for that high of a duration in an LS3. After much trial and error we developed the Kaotik (new stage III) cam. The only difference between it and the original stage 3 is 4 degrees more on the intake duration and it’s cut on a 113+2 vs. a 115+3 We found that it retains the same drivability while making MORE power across the board plus a much better sound from idle to rev! It averages 480rwhp with headers and tune NA, and 700+ with a blower! Works amazingly in both applications."

About the same duration as yours with a bit bigger lift as in that TrickFlow kit. With some good matching head work to that cam, long tubes and a tune it would be north of 500rwhp for sure. Now that I decided to go FI on the car it changes some things, but, I can actually still use that Kaotik cam. :glasses:

Another intake folks have been using with LQ9 blocks with good succes is this one here sourced from Holden:

Chevrolet Performance L92 Intake Manifold Kits 12590123 - SummitRacing.com

Also don't get too tangled up in the truck vs car intake myth and claims one is better than the other. The differences between the two are not that big as many claim. Now if you are having a hood clearance issue or something like that I totally understand. You could always flip the intake manifold around 180 degrees and run the air filter into the cabin of the car to really throw people off if you wanted to :D. The sky isn't even the limit with these motors. While it's all apart, go big!

Edited by matts88yj

I will definitely take the cam suggestion to heart. I may even look at other options as well, but the reason I was looking at a kit was for the sake of simplicity and buget. I cannot remember for the life of me what the stall is on it right now, but the transmission is a built 700R.

The decision to run a different intake is also partly to do with aesthetics as well as performance. The truck intakes are ugly quite frankly. ;)