Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirls and detailing at the show

butchman

Was at a local car show yesterday (took 2nd in my division) anyway I was floored by the cars. Some were not even washed. I must say out of the 100 cars in the show 75 of them were swirled. One car really caught my eye. It was a 63 Impala. It had severe swirls like I've never seen. I also noticed the glass was swirled like that as well. What would cause the winsheild to get like that? I also always chuckle. I do all my stuff in the garage before I go to the show. I get to the show and everyone but me is rubbing and cleaning the car. Usually they have a plastic bin with an arrangement of dirty towels. They pull out a nice dirty towel and start scrubbing. No concern what the towel was used for previously. I also like when they are using detail spray and as their wiping the towel is touching the ground. Just amazing to see some of these beautiful cars abused like that. I wish I had a little more experience and start a side business.

Ignorance is bliss... my bet is if you asked any of those guys about their paint they'd tell you 'its flawless'. As soon as you acquire the detailers-eye you'll see things that so many others think is just normal for paint.

True thats what they would say. There was a red Prowler there. It looked like it was washed with dawn dish soap then dried with a towel full of sand :) I should have taken some pictures.

It really is sad that some of the vehicles being shown really aren't show ready or even close to being show ready for that matter. It's one of the reasons I'm reluctant to even attend any local car shows anymore. My wife could never understand what it was that I was commenting on in parking lots, so I took her to a large local car show. Not only was she able to see multiple examples of all sorts of paint issues, she can now spot them on her own. All I need to do now is teach her how to correct them on her own. :jester:

You're not kidding about the detailers eye being a curse! I recently borrowed my uncles 57 bel air to take a beautiful young woman out for breakfast, and didn't have time to correct the paint. I was almost ashamed to pick her up in the car after getting a good look at it in the sunlight while showing her and her parents the car!

You're not kidding about the detailers eye being a curse! I recently borrowed my uncles 57 bel air to take a beautiful young woman out for breakfast, and didn't have time to correct the paint. I was almost ashamed to pick her up in the car after getting a good look at it in the sunlight while showing her and her parents the car!

That is too funny. My dad has a 2002 T-Bird that is a mess. Luckily I'm borrowing it in a few weeks for the whole shooting match. I can't wait to tackle this project.

That is too funny. My dad has a 2002 T-Bird that is a mess. Luckily I'm borrowing it in a few weeks for the whole shooting match. I can't wait to tackle this project.

They all loved the car! But I was on the verge of just straight up leaving when the sun hit the black paint and I saw all the swirls! I did see last night when we hung out she has a picture of the car as the screen save on her phone and that really maid me smile!

What a great thread, and indeed, it's mind-boggling what people with truly great cars feel comfortable using to clean and polish their cars.....

I attend about 3 dozen big car shows each year. By big, I mean 1K cars or more....and that's where we find the nastiest, rattiest, roughest products being used to clean up...and it always floors me!

Spending untold $$ on a car, only to ignore the available information, guidance, and input by millions of people who have learned how to clean their vehicles without damage.... how sad!

Using a CA Duster as a main means of vehicle cleaning is hurtful....painful, and most of all, damaging. Even if enthusiasts don'e use our goods, I hope we see fewer of the MADE IN CHINA cruddy microfiber towels from Wal-Mart or Costco, with scratching tags still attached...

Am I crazy to suggest damage-free cleaning and polishing, regardless of product used? We film videos every new year, and with the rise of popularity of Google, and YouTube, why are more people not asking questions, watching videos, or reading threads in detailing forums??

Common: Person with awesome car, using an old ratty cotton bath towel doused in a bucket of dirty water, used to wash....followed by a ratty, nasty, 2,000,000 times washed, stained towel to dry. No soap, just 100% scratches and nastiness..... The crazy thing is, we see this at EVERY CAR SHOW WE ATTEND!!!:help:

More disheartening: Watching people spay aerosol high gloss silicone dressing on their tires, on top of the filthy dirt and grease attracted by the last application....then watching that sling down the side of the vehicle....am I crazy, is anyone else out there as focused on the MAYHEM caused by poor detailing practices?:confused:

Self proclaimed detail freak...signing off...

I'm sure they all have something to say about me. I carry a small piece of a microfiber towel in my pocket. If I have to get into the trunk I use it on my finger when I shut it. Just trying to keep the finger prints of the trunk. I can just imagine what they think :jester:.

Archived