Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question about clay

Krzdimond

Question

Do I have to use clay if I'm going to polish anyway? Doesn't the polish do the same thing? I've always thought that clay was used to clean the pores of the paint when you aren't going to polish.

My wife's car is shot and I'm going to detail it today, just need to know if I need to clay before polishing.....

14 answers to this question

Clay removes the impurities or contamination that is adhered to your paint. It (smooths) the paint so when you do use the polish, you have a clean hopefully debris free surface to start with.

I suppose that polish would eventually do the same thing with a lot more work & time involved. I think of clay as a "pre-cleaner"

I used to get the contaminates off with lots of sweat and polish. It can be done. But think of what that hardened stuff does when it lets go of the paint. You risk grinding it in if it doesn't dissolve. I would rather do a quick clay first. It makes the polish faster and easier on just about any condition vehicle.

Les

Hi Robert, clay is worth the time and effort, 90% of the time. It also makes polishing, and especially removing polish residue much easier, reducing the drag.

If ever in doubt, put your fingers in a ziploc bag, and rub gently over the surface. Do it before and after polishing your test area, and you will be able to determine if the process is worth doing, or not. (Bumpy, clay, smooth, skip it!)

My $.02:2thumbs:

:glasses:Some of the time when I clay I do it after washing , with the soap still on the car ,the soap acts as a good lube, I rub my hand over each panel to check for grit. This is done in my garage not in the sun. Works great !:2thumbs: p.s Use your judgement if the car is real dirty ,you must rinse first ,then you can spray detail spray on wet car then clay !

Edited by Chris05GTO

CLAY rocks! I've been using it for probably 10 or more years and LOVE it. Helps remove "rail dust" and other contaminates that stick to the car and let me tell you... The Midwest has A LOT of those this time of year. It feels like sand behind my wheel wells. Clay removes it pretty fast.

Chris

Not that it matters, and this probably not the place for it, but I used clay on the wifeys car before polish.......

here are the results:

#1. Trunk clayed, bumper not

#2. before clay

#3. JUST the drivers door:jawdrop:

#4. after clay

#5. After polish and wax (done)