Customer Service 866.965.0400

What am I doing wrong or missing with SHR?

char1ieone

Question

Hello guys, this is my first post and I have a Black 2010 Camaro, so I am really anal about having scratches on my car. I bought myself a kit from Adams' at the Camaro5Fest in 2011 and used the Swirl Haze Remover and it turned out very well, however the next couple of times I used it, I began to notice that little bits of what thought at first was the orange pad coming apart only to then realized that it's the polish that is dusting everywhere. I put the amount of SHR on the orange pad and then lubricate it and it works fine ...at first. After my second third pass the polish already on the car begins to dry out and all of a sudden it begins to dust everywhere. With that I then add another spray of lubricant on the pad and continue but yet it still dusts. Do I need a new pad, new polish?

2012-09-30_21-28-36_874.jpg

I live in the desert near El Paso, TX and it really gets hot around here and the polish begins to cling onto my paint and becomes very hard to remove. I am telling you guys that this polish gets everywhere and sometimes just fustrates me because it gets in niks and crannies that is hard to wipe down, plus it dusts over places that I have already SHR, Polished and super waxed and I have to wipe down all over again. So what is it that I am doing wrong? Can someone please list or direct me to proper pad cleaning because I though I was following it correctly. Thanks guys!

15 answers to this question

Based on that picture there I'd say its where you're polishing. The pad is hitting the weather striping and causing the pad to throw polish. Anytime the pad hits a gap or surface like that the pad is going to cast off polish.

You might also be using entirely too much product based on the pictures but its hard to say. How much did you put on in the start, how much did you add after each panel, and did you start with a clean pad?

the X is fine for your first section, but you only need to add a couple of drops more with each new section. Have you watched the most up to date video?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a0TFZT8Hyk&feature=share&list=UUzpvSWz3VFZpeFeitVsybWg]Adam's Polishes Vol. 8 - Chapter 23 - Porter Cable Polishing - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah, after the suggestions made above I took a gander at the video and see that I am continually placing the same amount of product everytime. That I will definitely change. What is the best suggestion for proper pad cleaning if I do not have one of the suggested brushes?

I believe I saw a Adam's video that shows Adam spraying the pads with all purpose cleaner then using his hands to work the cleaner into the pads starting from the center on out. Basically massaging the cleaner into the pad. Then, take a hose or facet and rinse the pad until the water runs clear. Set the pads to dry somewhere but make sure the Velcro side is up so the water doesn't potentially ruin the backing.

Yeah, after the suggestions made above I took a gander at the video and see that I am continually placing the same amount of product everytime. That I will definitely change. What is the best suggestion for proper pad cleaning if I do not have one of the suggested brushes?

Before I got the brush I would use an old MF towel to clean the pad on the fly. Just type in "cleaning pads on the fly" in YouTube and a few vids will pop up. APC is for when you are finished polishing and putting the pads away. Don't forget to order your pad brush, it's worth it's weight in gold.:thumbsup:

What is the best suggestion for proper pad cleaning if I do not have one of the suggested brushes?

I just use an old toothbrush (manual, not electric ;) ). I've used one both with rotary and DA polishers and it does a decent job of getting the caked on polish off the pad "on the fly".

The other thing is you can "refresh" the polish already on the pad by hitting it with a quick spray of DS... are you polishing in the heat? In you pic it appears you have tons of dusting going on.... I would concur with the others that too much product would result in what you are seeing... and to remove it "on the fly" especially when you have too much product on the pad, would be a good idea. Less polish and hitting it with DS should allow you to use up all the polish, then just add a few drops, and repeat as needed....

[edit]

A pad brush with DAT polish (like Adams) shouldn't really be necessary (again unless you load the pad with too much polish, in which case you would need it to remove). But it is always a handy tool, especially for pad cleanup at the end of you polish session.. speeds the final pad cleaning up, as does the universal pad washer... especially handy if you are correcting more than just you own vehicle...

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

Took everyone's suggestions and rewatched the videos and I solved the problem. Yes, I was putting too much product everytime I did a new panel and just did an X the first time and everytime afterwards just put three dots in the manner that Junkman and Dylan suggested and that eliminated the amount of dusting significantly. Then once I was done with one side of the Camaro, clean the pad with a bristle brush the next day and did the same process, and no more dusting. Too bad I didn't see the videos mor clearly or researched earlier to prevent this cause now I am trying to air out all of the dry product from the little corners and such. Oh well, you learn as you go right? Thanks for all your help.

Texas weather is abit the same here tbh, I would use DS without adding product as I go.

I use to have the same problem not anymore. Hitting edges / making the pad spin at an angle would also be the problem.

If this still continue to go on, clean the pad and start again fresh.

IMHO the dusting issues with Adams polishes is partly due to the oversized pads. A 7" foam pad is waayyy too big for polishing with a PC. First of all, the PC simply does not have enough power to overcome the size of the pad and the inefficiency of the foam. That leads to multiple passes to remove the defects which means your adding more polish per section. More polish per section = more dusting. Second of all, a bigger pad makes it difficult to keep them completely flat on the surface without hitting things like trim, gaps, ridges, etc. I have always wondered why the foam pads are so big when the industry standard is 5"-6" for these very reasons. Maybe someone smarter than I can elaborate....