Customer Service 866.965.0400

My process?!? Is it correct?!

Schwag one

Question

Ok everyone, so I've always used junk wash and waxes from Autozone have always had terrible results. So I bought some Adams, I tested the products on a friends car prior to doing any of mine (I'm no dummy) but the results were great. Adams customer service was awesome! My wife just bought a new black Tahoe and it is dirty, so this coming Sunday I plan on doing on going crazy. The process I used on my friends car...

1. Wash with 2 bucket method

2. Dry with Adams towels and leaf blower

3. Detail spray and clay bar

4. Buttery wax

So help me with my correct my process.... Should I? Do another wash with 2 bucket method to get all of the clay bar residue off before the buttery wax?

What should I use to get the clay residue off? I'll post pics of our rides once everything has been detailed

10 answers to this question

Thanks for your business Chris! Congrats on the new Tahoe. It sounds like you are off to a good start, HOWEVER, you are missing out on a few key steps.....start by watching these videos: Clay bar and surface preparation Detailing Video

Hand Glazing & Waxing Detailing Video

Polishing with the Porter Cable Detailing Video

Correcting the finish is key. While you will remove the contaminants with clay, and offer some protection with the Buttery Wax, correcting the finish, removing the swirls which are likely dealer installed, and maximizing depth is a BIG DEAL.

Black shows everything! I would say that if the finish was immaculate, fresh off the truck, and never washed once by the dealership, and only needed a little love, your system would be adequate.

A new car is nice, and new. It smells good, makes your garage smell like new car and new tires, etc. A new vehicle rarely comes perfect!

On a black SUV, I would suggest you use a polisher, unless you are using the process as your new workout regimen....especially if you want it perfect.

Take some before shots, especially after you wash it, and we'll get you more input. Again, congrats, and thanks for using our goods!!

:thumbsup:

Should I? Do another wash with 2 bucket method to get all of the clay bar residue off before the buttery wax?

What should I use to get the clay residue off? I'll post pics of our rides once everything has been detailed

Chris - I don't rewash the car after claying. I start the clay process on the roof and work my way down, wiping the panels off with a Waterless Wash or Single Soft Microfiber towel to remove the Detail Spray as I go.

Thanks for your business Chris! Congrats on the new Tahoe. It sounds like you are off to a good start, HOWEVER, you are missing out on a few key steps.....start by watching these videos: Clay bar and surface preparation Detailing Video

Hand Glazing & Waxing Detailing Video

Polishing with the Porter Cable Detailing Video

Correcting the finish is key. While you will remove the contaminants with clay, and offer some protection with the Buttery Wax, correcting the finish, removing the swirls which are likely dealer installed, and maximizing depth is a BIG DEAL.

Black shows everything! I would say that if the finish was immaculate, fresh off the truck, and never washed once by the dealership, and only needed a little love, your system would be adequate.

A new car is nice, and new. It smells good, makes your garage smell like new car and new tires, etc. A new vehicle rarely comes perfect!

On a black SUV, I would suggest you use a polisher, unless you are using the process as your new workout regimen....especially if you want it perfect.

Take some before shots, especially after you wash it, and we'll get you more input. Again, congrats, and thanks for using our goods!!

:thumbsup:

Chris - I don't rewash the car after claying. I start the clay process on the roof and work my way down, wiping the panels off with a Waterless Wash or Single Soft Microfiber towel to remove the Detail Spray as I go.

I would use some kind of polish before the wax since claying sometimes introduces micromarring in the paint

bingo! bingo! and bingo!

if your hesitant to get into machine polishing, Revive hand polish is DA BEST!

see that link at the top of the forums that says "detailing videos" take a couple hours and watch all them i've watched them multiple times and always find something i overlooked before :thumbsup:

I'll echo what was already said here... after clay, but before waxing, you should add a polishing step to get the best results.

I'd recommend at a minimum using Adam's Revive Hand Polish and an Adam's Blue Hex Grip applicator to prep the surface. After that go to wax... the results will be much better and its a minimal effort kind of thing.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm definitely hesitant about using a polishing machine as I've never used one all of our cars are too new to have a hot spot in the paint. My wife's Tahoe isn't brand new, but her fist of fury would come down hard if I made the paint worse. Next summer I'll try one on my DD Camry.

While the Flex or PC will obviously give superior results, you really can make a difference by hand. At the very least, use the Revive Polish after clay and before wax. By the way, I like Waterless Wash to clean off the clay residue. And you can throw in the Brilliant Glaze between polish and wax for some extra shine.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm definitely hesitant about using a polishing machine as I've never used one all of our cars are too new to have a hot spot in the paint. My wife's Tahoe isn't brand new, but her fist of fury would come down hard if I made the paint worse. Next summer I'll try one on my DD Camry.

honestly, it is impossible to ruin the paint with a PC... unless you attach a piece of sandpaper to it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XAqpOe9Zt4]How Safe is the PC-7424XP? - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7A5BCCb7Gg]How Safe is the PC-7424XP? - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]