Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any of you actually do what you love for work?

CleanLines

I read a post in my other thread about how not working is overrated and as crazy as that sounds, I think it's true.

That being said, wouldn't it be best to do what you love for work? I mean I don't want to work as Mcdonalds my whole life (no offense if any of you work at MDs).

I think Steve Job had it right in his Stanford speech. Our time is limited. We should do what we love. Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

That led me to google which led me to this How to Find What You Love to Do » The Definitive Self Improvement Blog - BrianKim.net

I've got some ideas from there but was wondering if any of you are actually doing it in real life? What's it like? Was it worth it even though you may make less?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a civil engineer. I design new neighborhoods, parking lots, main roads, etc. While i was in highschool i went to a technology center for 2 year for drafting and design, then 2 months after i graduated i got hired at landmark engineering. Next week will be 2 years that ive been working here. Its a nice and easy job and i enjoy it.. but my dream job would be working at adams! i would do anything to work for adams

I had a talk like this with a buddy of mine last night (23 years old). He wants to save all his money, buy a house in the suburbs and that's it. That's what he wants to do for the rest of his life. He's a firefighter so he won't be switching jobs, more than likely not switching cities, and won't be doing any traveling except for where he goes on vacation.

He said I was stupid for wanting to live in the city and pay rent prices down there. I told him that when he's 35-40+ he's going to regret every minute of not living his life, rather living the safest way possible (ironic because he's a firefighter).

He laughed, said I had no concept of money, and that I was lighting money on fire. Worst of all, he's moving to a city where it's 70% retirees and there are a handful of nightlife spots -.-

Great topic. The business that I created, Integrity Detailing, LLC is me doing work that I love. I haven't always had the fastest car in my neighborhood but I've always had the cleanest. Right now my company is a one man show...me. That's not good for business because if I don't work I don't get paid. I do mechanic work on the side as well as some IT contracts. I've had a pretty good first year of business for doing this by myself. One of my goals is to create jobs through this company. I love detailing. I think I have a bit of OCD when it comes to this. However, I want to grow my business to the point that I don't have to do the grunt work personally in order to earn income. I'd like to be able to select specifically which client vehicles I'd like to show my skills on and just be the behind the scene brains of the operation. For me, that's a good business.

So, yes, I'm doing what I'm passionate about & what I love to do.

DX on VXL via Tapatalk 2

I'm not doing what I love even though I do enjoy it.

I had big plans about what I would be doing right now, but they did not come true. But some day they might. I just keep working hard and saving so manybe one day I can do what I love.

Sometimes you have to work a job you dont like in order to get to a place where you want to be

I am a Construction Project Manager. I love it. overloaded.gif

I work on salary and make my own hours. I have all the freedom you could ask for. I have stayed home for days and worked from home in my PJs. smilingface20157.png

When I had surgery on my knee, I was off work for 3 months and I still got paid every week. My boss also pays for all my fuel. What a great +++

Recently, I won a 7 day all expense paid trip to Maui. I told my boss and he said..."you are coming back, right?" lol This will be my 4th vacation for 2012. summer_52.gif

My most recent job is to teach myself how to hula. HulaDancer3_.gif

I am a Construction Project Manager. I love it. overloaded.gif

I work on salary and make my own hours. I have all the freedom you could ask for. I have stayed home for days and worked from home in my PJs. smilingface20157.png

When I had surgery on my knee' date=' I was off work for 3 months and I still got paid every week. My boss also pays for all my fuel. What a great +++

Recently, I won a 7 day all expense paid trip to Maui. I told my boss and he said..."you are coming back, right?" lol This will be my 4th vacation for 2012. [img']http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/sweetee1207/Smileys/summer_52.gif[/img]

My most recent job is to teach myself how to hula. HulaDancer3_.gif

Teresa, with what you had gone through the last year or so you deserve every bit of those vacations!!

I really really enjoy teaching inner city kids! Do I love getting up at the butt crack of dawn... NO! But I do enjoy what I do!

Definitely love what I do! Occasionally have to take a moment and think about how fortunate I am to turn something I'm truly passionate about into a career. Those that have known me a long time have seen me talking detailing on forums long before I worked for Adam's and I'm pretty sure I'd be doing the same even if I wasn't an employee here.

If you do something you truly love for a living you'll never "work" a day in your life.

Definitely love what I do! Occasionally have to take a moment and think about how fortunate I am to turn something I'm truly passionate about into a career. Those that have known me a long time have seen me talking detailing on forums long before I worked for Adam's and I'm pretty sure I'd be doing the same even if I wasn't an employee here.

If you do something you truly love for a living you'll never "work" a day in your life.

Heck yes brother!:2thumbs:

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I do not love what I do for a living. Most days I hardly even like it. The industry in which I am employed is brutal, cut-throat, and mediocre is the norm and accepted; all of which takes its toll on someone who strives for the best. However, it does provide me the ability to feed, cloth, care, and shelter my wife and I...for that I am grateful. It also allows me to have my toys and the latitude to take whatever time I need/want to enjoy them. It's not all bad, but it definitely isn't my dream job. Someday though....:xfingers:

Edited by 02Xtreme07ss

I truly love what I do and would not change anything. I have my own 2 man IT company and have 4 clients that are 24X7 and when they call you have to respond. One of them even hired me as their IT Director for insurance reasons and gave me office space to run my own business out of! :rockon: I still get to set my own hours and work when I want to. I have learned it is not all about the $$, but about me having freedom to do what I want.

I look forward to going to the office every morning. I miss it if I'm gone for a couple days. Do I love it? Not sure about that. I enjoy what I do, I care about my staff and sometimes I can't believe I'm paid to talk to people all day. Next Valentine's Day will mark 30 years with the company.

Additionally I could be happy doing most anything. Attitude shows through in everything we do.

“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.”

-Winston Churchill

I am a Master Equipment Mechanic for Florida Forest Service. Been on this job for over 15 years. I love my job so much that I would do it for free it they had not already started paying me.

Some of what I work on.

IMG_2805.jpg

IM000041.jpg

DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

Edited by Chuckkilo3

I am a Master Equipment Mechanic for Florida Forest Service. Been on this job for over 15 years. I love my job so much that I would do it for free it they had not already started paying me.

I hope your boss doesn't read this.:D

I love what I do. I am a property and casualty auto injury adjuster. I investigate accidents by talking to all involved including witnesses, some police officers (most don't call back) and calling local businesses to see if they have security cameras (on disputed cases).

Every claim we ensure that we pay what is owed. There are claims that we deny due to fraud.

Unfortunately insurance fraud (auto, life, health, etc) cost over 1 trillion in our premiums a year. http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/insurance-fraud

So we have to be well trained in what injuries can be caused by every type of accident, trained to read billing codes (doctors up charge a service to make more money), look for fraud rings involving doctors, attorneys, etc. I love catching people who break the law. This economy has generated a ton more fraud because the people who normally wouldn't do things like commit fraud ....they are starting to inflate a real claim. IE they are sore and honestly hurt but treat months longer than needed to pad their settlement claim. I have to keep up to date on the latest types of treatment being offered (some chiropractors use some non conventional methods not recognized by health officials) because some treatments have no beneficial benefit to the patient. Just a chiro using a patient to fill their pockets.

I never talk to anyone who has had a good day. They've been in an accident sometimes minimal and sometimes fatal....I have to have a good ear, kind heart and take care of everyone involved. Most of the times I feel like a counselor but its my job. For the auto enthusiasts like us, I can TRULY understand the pain of seeing their vehicle damaged....being an Adams addict, I can connect to some of my customers. And make a few referrals to Adams. ;)

Crazy stuff but I love it. I've been doing this since 97 and I wouldn't change it for the world. I started out working with one company but just recently started working for USAA. Amazing company to work for and I plan on working their til I retire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can say I don't love it but I do not hate it either.

I work in the I.T. Sector. Financial Data provider and servicing Co.

Only been in it for 6 years. But worked the corporate life for 25 years.

Just hate working for corporations sometimes because they are usually a bunch of monkeys humping a football. Micro managers .. But not all are like that. I work the 3rd shift considering my customer base is Europe and East Asia. My (Parent Company) is out of Zurich.

Its nice knowing your not being shadowed by management but you have a load of responsibility that comes with it.

Did I mention the shift differential is an added bonus. :thumbsup:

With that shift you work a majority of the Holidays (12 Hr shifts) But that's usually triple time.

They do provide me 6 weeks off a year personal time but its very difficult to schedule sometimes because Im in charge of the shift. Coverage is important.

I consider myself blessed that I have a job in this terrible economy.

Edited by Mongosg8

I absolutely love What I do. I talk for a living...I'm in sales for an health and life insurance company. I was recruited from college and have been with the company for four years now. It's challenging, rewarding, and allows me to use the skills I learned in college. If anyone has general questions on their insurance needs, give me a shout out!!

What a great thread, and great responses my friends! I've been shining bicycles or cars for 32 of my 41 years....and must say, it's been quite a ride... Wouldn't change a thing, except maybe the sore hands I've earned!

:rockon:

I love my job, I was that kid at 6 years old who wanted to be a fireman and actually turned out to be one! I may not be at the department I want to be but in due time I will be and I truly look forward to that.

Downfall is, if I dont make it as a fireman, its tough to say I probably dont have a fall back.