Customer Service 866.965.0400

New 85 mph Highway!!!

Z71_Denali

Watch Texas Test Its 85 MPH Highway's Cameras With A 220.5 MPH Blast

i'll be driving to Houston this weekend; i usually take I-10 and pass right by the exit to get onto this new highway. its been under construction for quite some time now, and now that it's open i might have to take a little side trip up the road and maybe drive by the new formula 1 track!

in the article it says the road officially opened this week; i thought it has been opened of over a year now? Maybe officially with 85mph. Shoot, I was on it this past weekend and didn't see a single trooper from once I got on in Buda to getting off north of Austin. I bet cops will be on it now!

in the article it says the road officially opened this week; i thought it has been opened of over a year now? Maybe officially with 85mph. Shoot, I was on it this past weekend and didn't see a single trooper from once I got on in Buda to getting off north of Austin. I bet cops will be on it now!

the new part that begins down in Seguin on I-10 and goes around Lockhart is the part that just opened i believe

Wow 85. We are still stuck on 55 on regular highways here in Oregon and 65 in some places on the interstates

that stinks! most the highways in Texas are 70, interstates are 75 outside of cities in most counties, and some parts of I-10 and I-20 out west are 80. in metro areas the highways speeds are 65, some get down to 55 or 60 in heavily congested areas

But in all fairness....Texas is HUGE!!

When I was in college, we picked up a buddy in Gruver and then headed down to South Padre Island....the drive took like 15 and a half hours!

We googled it and it's almost the same amount of time it would have taken us to drive from Texas to Canada! :burnout:

Last Saturday morning while north bound on the Stevenson Expressway I was in the middle lane going 75+ and was being passed constantly until I exited. I've always thought if the majority of the traffic is doing a different speed than is posted then the speed limit needs to be changed. Of course residential and school zones would be excluded.

As a side note, my trip up and back showed 26+ mpg both on the DIC and when I gassed up and did the math.

Watch Texas Test Its 85 MPH Highway's Cameras With A 220.5 MPH Blast

i'll be driving to Houston this weekend; i usually take I-10 and pass right by the exit to get onto this new highway. its been under construction for quite some time now, and now that it's open i might have to take a little side trip up the road and maybe drive by the new formula 1 track!

I'll be at the Circuit of the Americas this coming May for the V8 Supercar race :)

that stinks! most the highways in Texas are 70, interstates are 75 outside of cities in most counties, and some parts of I-10 and I-20 out west are 80. in metro areas the highways speeds are 65, some get down to 55 or 60 in heavily congested areas

But how they get you in Texas is the speed limit drops by 10 at night (at least on I-20). I've gotten a ticket for 15 over even though I thought I was at 5 over. Plus there's room for interpretation (by the officer) for when the lower limit kicks in around daylight and dusk.

Last Saturday morning while north bound on the Stevenson Expressway I was in the middle lane going 75+ and was being passed constantly until I exited. I've always thought if the majority of the traffic is doing a different speed than is posted then the speed limit needs to be changed. Of course residential and school zones would be excluded.

As a side note, my trip up and back showed 26+ mpg both on the DIC and when I gassed up and did the math.

This year they raised the speed limit on much of I49 from 70 to 75 citing studies of traffic patterns. Oddly enough, in my experience I haven't really noticed an increase in speeds of other drivers. For some reason, I always pass a ton of cars when I'm doing 5 or 10 over the limit even in unpopulated areas. But on the flipside, traffic still seems to flow at 70 even though the limit drops to 60 through towns.

Another odd thing about LA interstates, I notice on I-20 and I-10 that you can do 10 over and get passed by everyone, but as I said on I-49 if you do 10 over you seem like you're flying. I've never figured it out; they all seem to have about the same amount of police presence, and 49 tends to have less dense traffic.

Edited by Redbeard

I stay mostly up in the West Texas region....the furthest I regularly go is to the Hill Country and for the majority of the roads they did away with the night time speed limit drop pretty recently which I was excited about :D

Not sure about anything East or further South...but yes you are right about there being A LOT of room for the officers discretion. I had a trooper pull me over one time for going 1mph over...

He let me go with a warning but still he kept me for a while and asked me tons of questions....pretty sure he was just bored as we talked about mostly sports. Delayed me by about 20 min :(

these days newer cars have headlights that automatically turn on; i figured if its dark enough for those to turn on, then its time to slow down. if i ever get pulled over for going the daytime speed limit and the sun is still setting, this will be my excuse :D

Sad thing is noone other than Ford has hit 200mph on a GT500.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Kind of like most of us NEVER see the MPG that is on the stickers. One of them was close and fighting heat and elevation. I think they were within 4MPH of it. I truly think it's doable and IMO THAT is amazing.

MI needs the 85 mph speed limit on quite a few roads.

I have a hard time not getting run over sometimes doing 70! :willy:

Problem is, you'd be getting run over at 85 when they're doing 95+.