Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass and 0000 Steel Wool

HewesMan

Question

I have some really bad water spots on my rear and side windows of my Tundra that I am going to work at to get off. I have already tried straight vinegar and Bar Keepers Friend with no luck with either one. I read that I can use 0000 steel wool, so I got some last night from Ace Hardware and tested out a spot and it does work. It's not easy, but it does work.

So my concern/question is: can I rub too hard where it might scratch the glass and is there any lubricant that I need to use(water/detail spray) while doing this?

25 answers to this question

I use 0000 steel wool on my oem windshield and no problems at all. I just go over it in the same pattern like when I'm polishing. You just need to make sure nothing is trapped in the wool and that its not rusty. You would have to really be grinding it in one spot scratch it. Not all glass is the same though, but you should be fine if its all you have.

I can't give you any experience with steel wool on windows, but you should be okay with that method. I have had amazing success with Swirl & Haze Remover with the ORANGE Hex Grip Polish Applicator to remove stubborn water spots. :thumbsup:

Maybe some others can chime in with the steel wool info to confirm.

I've done the same. Worked very well. :thumbsup:

Use some denatured alcohol on glass, in conjunction with the Steel Wool.

Mook

What's an example of such product?

And funny you ask the steel wool thing. I'm in the same exact boat. My friend asked me how to get rid of the spots and I said I never really looked into it too hard cause mine aren't bad, but I member reading vinegar eats the mineral deposits. So we tried straight vinegar and didn't do crap lol

So while I was In class yesterday I looked up other methods. Came across the 0000 steel wool, and picked up some on my way home. Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, BUT I read up a little on it..

Some people said it did scratch their glass with little micro swirls, something that rainx or glass sealant will fill in for a little bit. Others said they swear by it. Also read not to use the wool in a circular pattern, but to use only light up/down or back/forth. The circular motion makes the swirls a lot more noticeable they said? Interested to see what You adam's guys have to say about it all though

And edit.. I'll be ordering my FLEX kit soon, so I'm not sure if I should just wait till I get that and polish out the glass, or try the wool and risk it

sent from your HTC Rezound

What's an example of such product?

Go to Home Depot, in the Paint/Tape aisle. It's in a can next to the Mineral Spirits. ON GLASS ONLY use this method with the .0000 Steel Wool.

Works like a charm. (Owning a residential glass business with my family certainly helps my glass knowledge.)

:thumbsup:

I would never use steel wool on windows. There are good products out that work great to get waters spots out. I use ************************* works great use it all the time. If you use steel wool and scratch the glass there is no fixing it.

Edited by Mook@Adams

I would never use steel wool on windows. There are good products out that work great to get waters spots out. I use MX-7 works great use it all the time. If you use steel wool and scratch the glass there is no fixing it.

I've never heard of 0000 grade steel wool hurting windows. Unless you turn and use it on tint on accident inside (ive done it) haha. More problems come from using improper chemicals on glass, then if they fall down the glass and into the crack more problems can arise. I use steel wool every day on the ferrari's, as long as its 0000 then youll have no problem, screw up and accidentally use 000 and thats a different story.

Im with the "least aggressive method" method haha. glass cleaner>clay>vinegar w/newspapaer>vinegar w/steel wool> denatured alcohol (cause always works for me). good call again mook on the denatured alcohol, learned that from the family friends that do residential windows too ;). my method goes mostly on the least expensive to most expensive too, so that works as well haha

Another positive for 0000 steel wool I forgot is for overspray, works wonders for those who dont know that, just dont start rubbing it on the paint ;):2thumbs: haha

Edited by MichiganSRT8

I would never use steel wool on windows. There are good products out that work great to get waters spots out. I use MX-7 works great use it all the time. If you use steel wool and scratch the glass there is no fixing it.

1. Against the rules to name competing products.

2. I have over 10 years experience in the residential glass industry. I know more about glass than I care to ever remember, and certainly wouldn't steer someone with bad advice. :2thumbs:

I have great success with Durag**s NuGla*s in removing bad water spots. It does take some elbow grease but works great.

This is still naming competitor Products.

Edited by Mook@Adams

1. Against the rules to name competing products.

2. I have over 10 years experience in the residential glass industry. I know more about glass than I care to ever remember, and certainly wouldn't steer someone with bad advice. :2thumbs:

This is still naming competitor Products.

Sorry, my bad...

Well, tried this yesterday finally but had disappointing results. I tried various ways on two different trucks, but nothing really happened. Did light, medium and heavy force on the pad with invisible glass as lube, and eventually no lube. Slid it side to side, tried up and down, a combo of the two, and even a circle pattern in a small area. I did that on each of my 2000 Sierra and buds 2001 tundra.

I did see very little improvement though, as If it removed some of the tiny spots if you looked at it hard. If you didn't know we did anything to it, a normal person would never even notice it lol so not sure if I did something wrong, or need to try a little more aggressive method

sent from your HTC Rezound

One of my dealership cars that came from Hawaii had really bad "acid-rain-looking" spots. I used everything I had, including a glass scratch remover with an orange pad and drill. Nothing worked. The dealership had to replace the windshield. I will try the swirl remover on the next one. Maybe I can be a hero!

On 10/26/2012 at 1:34 PM, Team Adam's said:

Light pressure with plenty of glass cleaner and you should be fine. I've used that combo a ton and never had any issues with scratching.

On 10/26/2012 at 1:34 PM, Team Adam's said:

Light pressure with plenty of glass cleaner and you should be fine. I've used that combo a ton and never had any issues with scratching.

Don't want to be a pest, but are you talking about 0000 steel wool and the ceramic stovetop cleaners, Ceramabryte or Weiman brand? Just want to be very careful with the steel wool, making sure that is what you were talking about. Thank you very much for responding. 

4 hours ago, hootramsey@gmail.com said:

Don't want to be a pest, but are you talking about 0000 steel wool and the ceramic stovetop cleaners, Ceramabryte or Weiman brand? Just want to be very careful with the steel wool, making sure that is what you were talking about. Thank you very much for responding. 

The brand doesn’t matter. 0000 is the grade of the steel wool in terms of abrasiveness. Be generous with the glass cleaner when using it. We use this often. 

Now they make glass pads and polishes. But you can also try a finishing paint polish to see if it’s helpful. We have the glass pads and polishes and we do use them. But it’s time consuming and slow progress. It is not impossible though.