Customer Service 866.965.0400

touch up paint and how to smooth it

mikep

Question

I have two stone chips on hood of C6 Crystal Red Metallic. I purchased matching touch up paint and clear coat from GM. When I applied the paint it is built up to high (must have used too much). What is the best way to smooth out and at what point do I apply the clear coat. I have all the Adams products and know how to remove swirls and scratches and I am able to create an incredible shine on the paint. But concerned about making these spots unnoticable.

9 answers to this question

I've used dr color chip with good results, but I'm guessing it is variable. Actually, I have most of a bottle of GM light gray spiral metallic, but I just got rid of that car. If anyone could use it, let me know: free to a good home.

I've also used Dr. Colorchip with good results. The blending solution that it comes with makes it worth it IMO. The ones that I've fixed a year ago are still going strong. I've clayed and used the PC over top without any damage. However, the wonderful G8 paint flakes off if you look at it wrong so I need to do some more touching up after winter.

i've used the Langka kit with GM touch up paint on both my truck and camaro. it works quite nicely. on my truck you don't even know there was a chip there. on the camaro, which was red jewel tintcoat, it was smooth, but dull looking and required the clear coat touch up to make it about 95% perfect again

From how I'm reading the OP you've already touched up the chips so the Dr. Color Chip and Langka Systems are too late. If you've sufficiently cleaned the chip of all old wax and any dirt and grease prior to touch up the paint should stick to the chip just fine: even after claying or polishing.

Here's what I do with touch up paint blob removal. I use a very tight weave cloth, like a glasses lens cleaning cloth and wrap it tightly around a smooth plastic bottle cap. With the cloth tight, apply a drop of rubbing compound to the cloth and lightly rub the blob until it's level with the surrounding paint. Polish out the scratches left by the rubbing compound and forget about the clear. You'll only be able to use the clear if the touch up paint is applied below the level of the surrounding paint.

Check out page 7 of the June 2011 SVGTO Newsletter for an article I wrote about touch ups.