Customer Service 866.965.0400

Newbie advice

Cjm005

Question

Hi all. I'm looking for some newbie advice as I'm looking to get started. I need a good wash kit but plan to order up a basic detail kit as well. I plan on using the PC to get started.

The car: 2012 Boss 302, Race Red and white accents. Usually a garage queen but also spends some time on the track.

Where should I start? It will need minor swirl correction, not much.

maqemygu.jpg

22 answers to this question

This is where I started. Just remember, eventually minor swirl correction WILL turn into swirl correction so might as well get it all in one shot.

Here are the 3 kits I started with.

Adam's Essential Detail Kit

Adam's Starter Porter Cable 7424 XP Polisher Kit

Adam's Wheel & Undercarriage Detail Kit

OR Go all out and get this kit (Except it doesn't come with brushes)

Adam's Premium Porter Cable 7424 XP Polisher Kit

If you become anything like that rest of us... Eventually you will have everything. The first year I started buying Adam's products I spent over $2000. I have a Gallon of everything, a Flex and a PC. It sounds like a lot but it goes a long way. Since I spent that much I've probably spent maybe $200-300 a year on refills.

Edited by Kingsford

I would suggest one other product to the above list! If the car hasn't had a full detail, I would purchase the clay bar also. If your running the car on the track, you will probably have some rubber fallout on the car. The clay bar is truly a unknown secret!

I echo the previous posts. I would buy the largest kit you can afford. I started small, loved the products, then started acquiring everything else. I would have came out cheaper to just buy a large kit in the beginning. I suppose its tough to spend that much money without having used the products before.

With almost 100% certainty, most avid Adam's users on this forum wish they had just went big in the beginning.

Plenty of people, including myself, have started with the flex and had no issues. If the guy drives a race car I'm sure he can figure out a polisher. But that's a decision better left to him. No sense in buying a pc IMO if you're just gonna resell it months later and buy a flex.

Corey... If you are new and never done this before and want to use a PC, use a PC. It's safer to start with until you get the hang of it. That statement has been said time and time again on this forum. A PC will allow you to get used to the pressure you need to use and the motions you need to make. After a few times using it, if you feel comfy... Upgrade to a Flex. The PC will still serve a purpose especially with all the tiny spots on a mustang that a full size pad can't get into. Not exactly sure what Tony is trying to get at here but this conversation has happened many many times for new people on this forums, but seeing that he has only been here since Oct 2012 he probably wouldn't know and probably should do some searching. I don't work for Adam's so I am not trying to get you to spend any extra money that you don't need to and this is the same path I took when I started detailing. Went from PC to Flex and the back to a PC for a short amount of time because I felt the Flex was too strong at first. Eventually you will end up with a Flex but with a nice car like that and a "newbie" I would play it safe!

:pc:

If you feel the need to start off with a pc because your scared of the flex, then by all means go ahead. If you can't afford the extra $150 for the flex at first then go with a pc. Apparently since I've only been on the forum a year less than other experts on here I must not have done my research. But I know I'm a big boy and I'm smart enough to figure out how to operate a polisher, so I was suggesting if you can afford the flex go with that from the start. Not everyone has what it takes to operate a flex I guess, must be scary.

You just COMPLETELY destroyed your own point... Straight from the above post.

"This type of polisher is safe for novices, as it does not build up significant rotation in the pad..."

Like I stated in every one of my posts in this thread. The PC is best for people new to detailing with a buffer.

I'm trying to help this new guy out and you are just fighting to be right and shove something down his throat he doesn't even think he's ready for.

Edited by Kingsford

Yes if you have no experience and don't have the confidence that you can figure out how to use a piece of machinery, go with the porter cable. I was confident and secure enough to follow the simple instructions on the videos and spoke with staff during my order, and I (along with many others) would like to spend about 30% less time polishing so I went with the flex. But if you felt like you couldn't figure out how to keep a polisher moving so you aren't building up heat and messing up your paint, then you made a good choice with a pc. Beware of the 4" focus pads, they only have rotation and they are VERY scary. But they work great for a few deep scratches I had to remove.

Hi all. I'm looking for some newbie advice as I'm looking to get started. I need a good wash kit but plan to order up a basic detail kit as well. I plan on using the PC to get started.

The car: 2012 Boss 302, Race Red and white accents. Usually a garage queen but also spends some time on the track.

Where should I start? It will need minor swirl correction, not much.

maqemygu.jpg

To the OP, sorry for the debate on your thread. Hope you realize some valid points made and check out the link I posted. Not sure what your level if experience is, but seeing that you drive a car on the track I made an assumption you're pretty mechanically inclined and competent. You can't go wrong ordering the pc, but if you want to skip the training wheels and get into detailing I suggest the flex. It's not a complicated piece of machinery that requires expert technical knowledge to operate safely. Do some research, watch the videos, and take your time at first. You will be fine. Good luck either way.

Corey... If you are new and never done this before and want to use a PC, use a PC. It's safer to start with until you get the hang of it. That statement has been said time and time again on this forum. A PC will allow you to get used to the pressure you need to use and the motions you need to make. After a few times using it, if you feel comfy... Upgrade to a Flex. The PC will still serve a purpose especially with all the tiny spots on a mustang that a full size pad can't get into. Not exactly sure what Tony is trying to get at here but this conversation has happened many many times for new people on this forums, but seeing that he has only been here since Oct 2012 he probably wouldn't know and probably should do some searching. I don't work for Adam's so I am not trying to get you to spend any extra money that you don't need to and this is the same path I took when I started detailing. Went from PC to Flex and the back to a PC for a short amount of time because I felt the Flex was too strong at first. Eventually you will end up with a Flex but with a nice car like that and a "newbie" I would play it safe!

:pc:

First off this is a discussion forum where people offer their opinions for discussion. You made a very ignorant statement that by assuming since I've only been on here since October that I'm new to detailing. Second, you never inquired to the OP about his level of experience with anything. Goes back to your ignorance of assuming that since I've only been on the forum since October that I've only been detailing since October. I've searched and read nearly every thread on this place with some of the downtime I have at work.i don't work for Adams either and I could care less which kit he buys. I'm offering him my advice on how I started and polished a black car and a red car with a flex and its not very difficult. Adam and Dylan both state in their video the flex is quicker and more effective at polishing than a pc. If the OP feels he can operate a flex safely then he shouldn't waste money buying a pc kit if he doesn't want to. Maybe his best option would be to call and speak to Dylan and let him suggest. That's how I ended up with my flex.

Corey,

Both machines are great, the PC & the Flex. Everyone is on a different learning curve. Some feel comfortable as a newbie with the Flex some feel more comfortable starting with the PC. In the end its your decision both machines will get the job done.

Thanks guys for all of your input that you have given Corey, just remember everyone is entitled to their opinion.:2thumbs: