Customer Service 866.965.0400

Goodbye Circuit City

mikegeaney

Another victim of the economy.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/companies/circuit_city/index.htm?postversion=2009011613

This is what happens when too many people spend money they don't have and we trust the foundation of our banking system to real estate agents, mortgage companies, and real estate appraisers. Another 30k plus folks out of work. What a shame.

The upside of this is that they may have some good sales. Make sure to spend those gift cards ASAP if you have any.

may be time for a Flat Screen!

Bill I'm with you. I boycotted Best Buy years ago. Said I would never shop there again, walked in during X-Mas time and was amazed at the Video Game Selection for the Wii and PSP. I had to break down and buy some stuff.

Circuit City just wasnt cutting it anymore.

Edited by P's Titan

For those of you with questions these points, posted on http://www.circuitcity.com/closed.html, may be of some help:

Will Circuit City stores continue to accept Circuit City gift cards?

Yes, customers holding Circuit City gift cards may redeem them at full value at our stores during the liquidation sales. Once the stores are closed and the company is out of business, the gift cards will have no value.

Are Circuit City's extended warranties affected by the liquidation?

No. Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans® (extended warranties) have been backed by third-party independent companies for more than 15 years and as a result, are not impacted by Circuit City's closing.

Currently, all Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans are fully backed by the Assurant Solutions companies. Assurant Solutions operates as Federal Warranty Service Corporation, Sureway, Inc., and United Service Protection, Inc. Assurant Solutions is part of Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ), and its extended service contacts are backed by an Assurant insurance subsidiary rated A "Excellent" by A.M. Best Co.

Sounds like you may want to give those gift cards another shot Rich. Sounds like there is still coverage for warranties too. I'm stopping by there today to see if there are any deals.

I've stopped buying extended warranties on electronics. The two times I had them and needed work, it was like getting a bill passed on Capitol Hill. Jumping through hoops and the red tape. After the second TV problem with I stopped getting the extended warranty. That's just my experience with the ext. warranties.

That was 15+ years ago. Maybe they have gotten better... :thumbsup:

I've stopped buying extended warranties on electronics. The two times I had them and needed work, it was like getting a bill passed on Capitol Hill. Jumping through hoops and the red tape. After the second TV problem with I stopped getting the extended warranty. That's just my experience with the ext. warranties.

That was 15+ years ago. Maybe they have gotten better... :thumbsup:

They're just money-makers for the stores anyway. Besides, IF you have a problem you can always pay THEN to get it repaired, or with many tech devices (and the ever-dropping prices) you can just buy a new one for about the same money as the warranty would have cost you. :cheers:

Our local store had a big sale today and my son showed up at our house today with a flat screen for in the computer room. He said it took him over an hour to get it because they were that busy, but some really great deals.