1. 1. Which wheels should I get?

• Avarus AV6 Silver
    • Avarus AV6 Black
    • Avarus AV8 Silver
    • Avarus AV8 Black
    • Sport Muscle CM5 Camaro Replicas
    • Verde Parallax
    • Boss 340

Well last night, I dropped the G8 off at the dealer for an oil change and to look at a tick at start-up in the morning..

So I stop by this morning after we got back from breakfast and spoke to the Service Advisor since I hadn't heard anything. They had just started working on it at that point and would call me when its done..

a couple hours later, I get a call and he says I need 4 new tires as the tread is 3/32 and that the car is done..

I spoke with TireRack about the tires and asked about the warranty because I remember them telling me 40K+.. apparently with a Y rating, there is NO warranty..

I go to the dealer and stop by the cashier and my paperwork wasn't there, so she called the service advisor and he wanted to show me something.. there was a bubble in one of the tires.. I go to take a look and saw 4 bubbles in the sidewall of one tire, so I had them throw the full size spare on for now..

Any one have any recommendations? If this wasn't my DD I wouldn't mind putting Summer Tires on, however, I'm sure this won't be a non-DD until another two years or so.. so All Season tires it is!

Edit 06/19/13:

I'm trying to pick out new wheels since the tire I want will not fit my current.  The engineers at Tire Rack are checking if the 20x9 version will fit my car, so that's why they're in the poll..

post-1735-0-25120000-1371669825_thumb.jpeg

post-1735-0-42349300-1371669834_thumb.jpeg

post-1735-0-29527500-1371669844_thumb.jpeg

post-1735-0-10668600-1371669849_thumb.jpeg

post-1735-0-99278100-1371669854_thumb.jpeg

post-1735-0-50176800-1371669862_thumb.jpeg

Boss-340-Black-Superfinished-Accents.jpg

Edited by MAYBEN

I bought a set of BF Goodrich g-Force sport comp-2 for my 04 Grand Prix and love them. These are ultra high performance summer tires though. They handle excellent on wet or dry pavement. I like them so much I'm going to put a set on my 01 Grand Prix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that sucks. I just got new rubber for the RS as mine where at 1/32". I got Continental Extreme Performance I believe. I like them so far, but only about 120 miles on them. I called the dealer and said I wanted to price Match with Tire Rack because they where cheaper. Apparently they work with them all the time, so I got their price. IIRC $238 a piece. They were well rated on Tire Rack, so we'll see.

Since you're in NJ, DON'T put on summers. Below 40 degrees, they are a hazard, let alone when it snows. Ideal is still to get separate summers and winters. All-seasons are always a compromise that works, well, mediocre all year round. But many people (even car guys) claim to be happy with them. Me, I will always have 2 sets for my own car. I actually run R compounds in summer (Nitto NT01) and Blizzaks in winter. The wife's SUV runs on it's second set of Goodyear TripleTred all-seasons. I found them to be a decent tire in most conditions and her driving style.

Nick,

Bubbles in the sidewall? That sounds like a defect, not wear. Not sure what brand they are, but I would try and get at least some compensation.

I have Michelin Pilot Sports on my Corvette and I think it's a great performance tire. Does well in rain too, but only had it in snow once. Tires are made in the USA.

Bruce

I have nothing to add about car tires but I trust what colodude18 and 07RS4 have to say. Adrian in particular auto crosses (and beats) lambos in his Cobalt so he must know something about traction!

Mook

(Sorry Adrian)

Edited by Mook@Adams

Man that sucks. I just got new rubber for the RS as mine where at 1/32". I got Continental Extreme Performance I believe.

I'm considering these..

dws_tire_uv,property=original.jpg

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

245-35-20 $198 each

255-35-20 $194 each

Nick,

Bubbles in the sidewall? That sounds like a defect, not wear. Not sure what brand they are, but I would try and get at least some compensation.

I have Michelin Pilot Sports on my Corvette and I think it's a great performance tire. Does well in rain too, but only had it in snow once. Tires are made in the USA.

Bruce

I think they would blame the bubbles on potholes? this is New Jersey

Michelin is $$

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

245-35-20 $266 each

255-35-20 $276 each

Since you're in NJ, DON'T put on summers. Below 40 degrees, they are a hazard, let alone when it snows. Ideal is still to get separate summers and winters. All-seasons are always a compromise that works, well, mediocre all year round. But many people (even car guys) claim to be happy with them. Me, I will always have 2 sets for my own car. I actually run R compounds in summer (Nitto NT01) and Blizzaks in winter. The wife's SUV runs on it's second set of Goodyear TripleTred all-seasons. I found them to be a decent tire in most conditions and her driving style.

When I had my 19s, I ran summer and winter.. until two winters blew out and damaged wheels..

I try not to drive it when it snows since the Wife and I work near each other, so we would car pool if need be.. however, I have heard about the temperature when running summer tires and have had that concern.. eventually, the G8 will be a secondary/toy car and at that time, maybe I'll switch to a summer only..

I put TripleTred's on my '06 GP GT and they were awesome..

Nick.. read good things on grrrr8 about Conti ExtCon DWS .. the only thing I heard is that their sidewall is a little softer than others. Also read excellent in the rain and the wear was good.

Another one is the Michelin's ..A lot Pricier but you get what you pay for with those.

I'm pricing the Contis myself for my G8.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and call it done. Yes they are more expensive but you get what you pay for with Michelins. Best friend has them on his G8 and he really likes them. If I were to run an all season, I'd be running those. I run the Pilot Super Sports in the summer and Pilot Alpin PA3's in the winter. Love them both.

looks like your SOL. according to Dunlop's website, the limited warranty on the tires is only eligible if your purchase was on or after November 1, 2012. if that little clause wasn't in there, then you could have new tire replacement since they have more than 2/32" of tread.

Looks like for the price, the Generals are good tires...

I just bought some Potenza S-O4 Pole Positions. Since I only drive them around town, I wasn't too worried... If my car sees rain after this winter, it won't be by choice.

• 2 weeks later...

My tires are in... I need to clean the wheels up and mask off the face and remove the center caps. I want to eliminate as much damage as possible.

What did you go with Nick?

Chris

Edited by Chewy

• 4 months later...

well, here's an update..

I've been monitoring the remaining tread life as I have been waiting for the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 to come out.. it's supposed to perform better than excellent summer tires..

They're supposed to be out around the second week of July.  Well, last week, the Wife, my Mom, and I were driving home from BJ's and it sounded like I blew out a tire.  As I was pulling over the sound went away.  Being that it didn't feel blown, I continued the short distance to our destination carefully.  I took a look and saw a string, it looked like I picked up a yo-yo..  I gave it a tug and no yo-yo, so I turned the wheel and WOW, the tire is falling apart..

So, the Wife and I are carpooling for the time being..

To add to the madness, according to Michelin's site, the tire I want will not fit my 8" wheels and need at least an 8.5" width..  now I can either sacrifice and get a different tire, or pick out a new wheel and sell my current.. what a dilemma this has been..

I wish I had a hook-up on this stuff like I did 10 years ago..