Customer Service 866.965.0400

Looking for a new truck..

Schwag one

Chris. Here is my opinion. Your probably more confused now than you were to begin with. Everybody is going to have their own opinion about any vehicle. Somebody that is a Ford guy is always going to try and sell you a Ford, and vice versa.

Here is what I would do. Sounds like your not in any hurry to make a purchase. Correct me if I'am wrong. Go to each dealer that sells that particular brand/model that your interested in and pick it apart. Do the door latches mechanism seem cheap for example. Maybe see if the dealer will let you take it for a bit and look it over. Compare how things operate from one to the other. Pick up a brochure of each vehicle with specs and compare for what it is that your looking for and what best suits you. Talk to the salesmen and maybe they can tell you pros and cons of each model that your looking at. But remember, whatever brand they sell, it is going to be the "best", in their eyes. Do some research on the internet if you haven't already and see what others are saying. Again, it may just confuse you more. What I'am getting at in all reality it may just boil down to what is most comfortable to you and what you feel is the best ride.

I noticed a lot of people talking about HP and torque, etc. To many, yeah that is important. But me personally, I would sacrifice a little less HP for a something that doesn't have a high degree of failure. Whether it be with the transmission, engine, or even electrical issues for example. Another thing to consider, and may not be too important to you. But it is just a thought. Is resale value. Companies that flood the market with a particular item, cause everybody wants one at the time, cause they are cool, when it comes time for change (trade in/sell) they really aren't worth anymore than the tires that are on the vehicle. (not literally, just saying)

In the end it isn't me or anybody on this Forum, or even the salesman that is going to be making the payment. It is you. So pick something that makes you happy.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah this thread is becoming another testosterone argument.. who has a bigger & better "Truck" than the other.

Ford owners pick Ford.. GM owners pick Chevy.. Dodge pick Dodge.

Exactly what Chris stated. Its your money .. do what you feel that is best suited for you. There is a lot of options out there. Take your time choosing.

Yeah this thread is becoming another testosterone argument.. who has a bigger & better "Truck" than the other.

Ford owners pick Ford.. GM owners pick Chevy.. Dodge pick Dodge.

Exactly what Chris stated. Its your money .. do what you feel that is best suited for you. There is a lot of options out there. Take your time choosing.

:lolsmack: exactly what i was thinking....

i'm chevy biased, all i can say is wait until the 2014 model is out in a few months, test drive it with the 6.2 and 5.3, test drive a ford with the ecoboost 5.0 and 6.2, test drive a dodge with a hemi... and i'll save you some time, never test drive a Toyota or Nissan :D

pick the one you like the most!

Well I went to look at trucks and so far I live the Silverado the most, but we have to wait because my wife found out that she is being furlowed. She is a contracting officer on the Rock Island Arsenal. We knew about it but they were initially said that contracting will be exempt, but Friday was the deadline to our wonderful government to come up with a solution/agreement. So she is being forced to take at least one day off per week and a 20% cut in pay. It goes into effect in May. So we're trying to cut back while still live the lifestyle we have been living. She's actually pretty excited about it as she willl have a lot more time. :) but no biggie, we'll get through it. It just means I need to sell more for work!

Updates will come as we find more out about the furlow. I guess its somewhat of a good thing as I really didn't want to give up the Jeep. :)

Well I went to look at trucks and so far I live the Silverado the most, but we have to wait because my wife found out that she is being furlowed. She is a contracting officer on the Rock Island Arsenal. We knew about it but they were initially said that contracting will be exempt, but Friday was the deadline to our wonderful government to come up with a solution/agreement. So she is being forced to take at least one day off per week and a 20% cut in pay. It goes into effect in May. So we're trying to cut back while still live the lifestyle we have been living. She's actually pretty excited about it as she willl have a lot more time. :) but no biggie, we'll get through it. It just means I need to sell more for work!

Updates will come as we find more out about the furlow. I guess its somewhat of a good thing as I really didn't want to give up the Jeep. :)

If you like the Silverado, go take a look at the GMC's. The only reason I say this is when I was looking for a Diesel, the wife didn't care for the Silverado's, but liked the GMC's. Not sure why...:lolsmack:

In regards to your wife being furloughed, having some time can be a good thing. Take advantage of it.

I ordered a RAM CC Sport 4x4 with air suspension, RamBox's and everything else but Nav and the sport hood and was out the door for 41,000. It has the A8 ZF transmission, and the V8 as well as 3.92 LSD. Take a look at them. I think you'd be surprised what they have. Things like in floor storage and the like really won me over.

I'm personally a car guy NOT a badge guy. I buy what I deem the best for me at the time. Right now, RAM has the looks and tech that I want/need.

Since you live down the street from me, I'd be happy to show it to you! lol. Sorry to hear about your wife! Many people will be going through the same crap soon. It's B.S.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

yeap, the ram I think has more storage than anyone....... Chewy, do you also think the RAM has more features for the dollar? I have always thought so.

I do! For just shy of 41, I got all the tech, keyless entry keyless start where you grab the handle and it unlocks. Wifi hotspot, smartphone app so I can start and unlock my truck anywhere. Air suspension, RamBox system, sprayed bed liner, power and heated rear window, heated and vented seats, Bluetooth conductivity... Everything honestly! Plus I personally think its the cleanest well thought out overall design. JMO of course. That on top of a ZF sourced 8 speed trans made it a no brainer.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Good lord I want one. Chewy=my idol. Haha.

Gotta wait a little while tho. Wanna see the '14 model.

my buddy just got a new Ram Sport, white. it's really nice.

i just don't know if i could ever go back to a Dodge, my 98 Dakota 5.9L was reliable, except for the transmission, brakes, rear main seal leak and sluggish engine. other than that it lasted me 8 years and not too much in repairs. i bought it used with 95k miles, previous owner had already replaced the tranny once and by the time i sold it with 145k miles it needed another rebuild. brakes were always warped, i replaced the rotors and pads 4 times in 50k miles with OEM parts. and after about 105k miles it just wouldn't get up and go, i did a tune up, fuel additives, oil additives, nothing helped. i already have 40k miles on my current truck with no problems at all, granted it was new when i bought it :)

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Car manufacturers learn from their mistakes.

Audi, Mazda, vw - spent the 90's plagued with issued just like any Mopar. They finally embraced technology and are using it to make better cars, more efficient cars, smarter cars and hopefully the more reliable cars after 100k has came and went.

my buddy just got a new Ram Sport, white. it's really nice.

i just don't know if i could ever go back to a Dodge, my 98 Dakota 5.9L was reliable, except for the transmission, brakes, rear main seal leak and sluggish engine. other than that it lasted me 8 years and not too much in repairs. i bought it used with 95k miles, previous owner had already replaced the tranny once and by the time i sold it with 145k miles it needed another rebuild. brakes were always warped, i replaced the rotors and pads 4 times in 50k miles with OEM parts. and after about 105k miles it just wouldn't get up and go, i did a tune up, fuel additives, oil additives, nothing helped. i already have 40k miles on my current truck with no problems at all, granted it was new when i bought it :)

Which is the MAIN reason I don't feel too bad getting the new A8 transmission!!! It's designed by ZF and is also used in vehicles like Rolls Royce.

I hear you though! I NEVER thought I'd buy another one, but I try to let things go and hope for the best. GM and Ford are not without their issues too! Like the 2-3 flare my 6L80E has in the G8.

Honestly, it was a known fact that Chrysler had the WORST auto transmissions in that era. I bought my F150 4x4 in late '97 as a '98 and one of the main reasons I didn't even look at Chrysler was because of their trans issues. 60,000 or so miles and BAM they'd go out.

The 395hp 407lbft 5.7L V8 they use today has never been classified as "sluggish."

Mines a white CC Sport. Can't wait!!!! :)

Don't know if you're aware of it or not but a good portion of the HEMI engines tick like crazy. My Challenger sounds like a sewing machine and it's driving me bonkers!!! Take a nice long test drive in your new truck when it comes in to see if it has the problem......there's no known fix for it and the dealers will try to tell you it is normal. If I'd known about the problem and wasn't extremely stoked to be getting the new car I would have waited and found another with a quieter engine. Hope yours is OK!!!

Which is the MAIN reason I don't feel too bad getting the new A8 transmission!!! It's designed by ZF and is also used in vehicles like Rolls Royce.

I hear you though! I NEVER thought I'd buy another one, but I try to let things go and hope for the best. GM and Ford are not without their issues too! Like the 2-3 flare my 6L80E has in the G8.

Honestly, it was a known fact that Chrysler had the WORST auto transmissions in that era. I bought my F150 4x4 in late '97 as a '98 and one of the main reasons I didn't even look at Chrysler was because of their trans issues. 60,000 or so miles and BAM they'd go out.

The 395hp 407lbft 5.7L V8 they use today has never been classified as "sluggish."

Mines a white CC Sport. Can't wait!!!! :)

Don't know if you're aware of it or not but a good portion of the HEMI engines tick like crazy. My Challenger sounds like a sewing machine and it's driving me bonkers!!! Take a nice long test drive in your new truck when it comes in to see if it has the problem......there's no known fix for it and the dealers will try to tell you it is normal. If I'd known about the problem and wasn't extremely stoked to be getting the new car I would have waited and found another with a quieter engine. Hope yours is OK!!!

Think the ticking noise is more of a problem on the 5.7s, with almost 85k on my 6.1 still running like a champ and the day I got her :D (knock on wood of course). Now you wanna talk about ticking, I gave my sister my old 02 6.0 escalade and that thing ticks like insane, but just 500 miles shy of 200,000 miles I think its allowed to :D haha.

I really wish they would make a Viper truck kinda thing again, or at least drop that 6.4 in like a new ram, I knew the Viper trucks were a bit of a bust but if youve ever seen one they are really cool, one guy comes out to our meets with his and its a beast. Just throwing my .02 in and +1 on all the ram truck guys, and throw up some pictures of yours. If I ever get a truck its gunna be a raptor, but a proper one actually worked up for offroading, or what I dream of the Super Chief :D haha

Ford-F-250-Super-Chief-rear-back-view.jpg

supercharged V-10 goodness haha :D

I've heard about the "tick" and I'll worry about that if it rears up. Some guys swear certain oil exasperates it. I keep vehicles around three years normally so longevity isn't a concern. ;)

Yep...oil is part of it. If the truck has MDS then you have to run 5W20 in it.....thin as vegetable oil.....my car has a 6 spd manual so we upped it to 5W30....reduced the noise some, but it is still obnoxious....I had no idea about the potential problem and really wish someone would have told me....hope you love your truck....just trying to give you the warning/heads up I wish someone would have given me.

I've heard about the "tick" and I'll worry about that if it rears up. Some guys swear certain oil exasperates it. I keep vehicles around three years normally so longevity isn't a concern. ;)

Edited by Ron Meadows
add

Think the ticking noise is more of a problem on the 5.7s, with almost 85k on my 6.1 still running like a champ and the day I got her :D (knock on wood of course). Now you wanna talk about ticking, I gave my sister my old 02 6.0 escalade and that thing ticks like insane, but just 500 miles shy of 200,000 miles I think its allowed to :D haha.

Good to hear, I've never had an issue with ticking in my Jeep either. I did however with my TBSS. It would tick until it warmed up, but its an extremely common thing for the 6.0. A beast of a truck would be awesome for a day like today when it's snowing.

Good to hear, I've never had an issue with ticking in my Jeep either. I did however with my TBSS. It would tick until it warmed up, but its an extremely common thing for the 6.0. A beast of a truck would be awesome for a day like today when it's snowing.

Or being in FL on vacation like I am! lol. I missed two storms!

Not cool Chris, not cool. I'll rent you our condo for your next trip. It's in Eustis, FL our grandmother left us when she passed away, its near Orlando. But if the price is right we would be happy to sell!! :)

Pay? Right... My parents are FL residence that have a home on Marco Island. They spend 6 months a year here.

^^nice, if you were serious about it, I would have to talk to my sisters. My uncle lives a few blocks away and cleans it up, etc. Last year, one of my sisters had friends stay there and they didn't pay, which we don't care about, but they left it a mess. It was seriously disgusting. If it were only up to me, I'd just want a security deposit like incidentals at a hotel. Just in case. By no means am I saying I don't trust anyone, I just don't want to foot the bill again for clean up.

I'm curious to see what you end up doing here with a truck in the end. I'm a distant 2 years away from my next planned purchase, but its definitely going to be a truck and I'm torn between the F-150 and the Ram 1500. As a Jeep GC owner I want to stay Mopar, but the EcoBoost F-150 is such a solid option. This year's models will be what I'll be considering when that time comes so that's why I'm interested.

^^nice, if you were serious about it, I would have to talk to my sisters. My uncle lives a few blocks away and cleans it up, etc. Last year, one of my sisters had friends stay there and they didn't pay, which we don't care about, but they left it a mess. It was seriously disgusting. If it were only up to me, I'd just want a security deposit like incidentals at a hotel. Just in case. By no means am I saying I don't trust anyone, I just don't want to foot the bill again for clean up.

I leave places cleaner than I find them! ;). That's just disrespectful to do otherwise IMO.

Depending on what the new Ford looks like, I may have bought one of them if I was looking then!