Customer Service 866.965.0400

Looking for a new truck..

Schwag one

So I was driving through a local dealership a few nights ago and saw a Silverado quad cab. I've never really liked the Chevy trucks, but the blue color persuaded me to take a look. I go in the next morning and its being sold as I'm walking in. The great thing was they had a couple double cab Raptors, I drove one and loved it. But again we need a quad cab for our little diva. My wife doesn't want me to spend more than $40k. I'm wanting something somewhat rare and a power house since I'll be either trading in the Jeep or selling it to buy a truck (will be a VERY sad day).

We need a truck, and has to be a quad cab as a double wont work with the child seat. There are so many detailers here and we see a lot of good/bad vehicles. What does everyone think?

I'm thinking ram srt10

Used raptor if I can find something

TRD Tundra....

Thoughts??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO I feel the Raptor is way over priced but than again .. most "new" trucks are ridiculously priced depending on trim/ options

Looking for a 4x4 or just 2 wheel drive? The Dodge SRT10 I think is only 2 wheel drive. Correct me if Im wrong.

Well a Chevy Crew Cab would be a great choice, but I am bias

The Dodge SRT10 is an ok truck, they did make it in a crew cab but they are only 2WD so I dont know if you need a 4x4 or not. It has lots of power but it is not very practical and I think they they are cheaply made, but thats just me.

You can find a Raptor in a crew cab, but I think they may be a little overpriced. Do you really need a hardcore offroad vehicle?

I hate the Tundra with a passion. As far as the TRD goes. Most Tundras with the TRD package just have a simple "offroad" suspension package similar to the Z71 in the Chevy's. You will have a hard time finding a true TRD Tundra with the supercharger.

If you want something with plenty of power, that is practical and has 4 doors. It may be a good idea to try to find a Chevy/GMC with the 6.2L they are 403hp. You can also get a Ford crew cab with the 6.2L (411hp), but the Dodge Hemi (390hp). they all have plenty of power and are very practical. Some of these "special edition" vehicles are just overpriced and really are not that practical.

Well knowing your my neighbor pretty much lol I would definatly suggest a 4x4. Raptors are nice dont get me wrong but way too pricey even used. Me personally if I was givin a 40k budget I would look into a Sierra Denali. 6.2 Powerhouse AWD Crew Cab factory 20's heated leather and a sunroof sliding rear window but hey thats just me. Myself Im not spending that much for my DD so my next truck will be a 2013 Ram sooner than later. I dont know if your a mopar, ford, or gm guy but If you have not driven a 2013 Ram I would highly suggest it. Very nice trucks and ride very well. Im looking at an Express so I would not have all options as say a sport or laramie but I still loved the options it has. It has everything I want so I am happy with it not to mention its monochrome which means very little to no chrome. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks guys, I'm looking out my home office window and its a stinking blizzard outside. 4x4 isn't a must have. The srt10 ram is RWD. The only downside I'm selling it the newest is an 06. Like most srt vehicles they are driven hard just like I drive mine. I've been doing more research on the Raptors and they are so over priced. Sure you're 7 inches wider that the normal f150, beefer suspension, more comfortable seats, but the extra $20k...not worth it just yet. I checked out the Tundras and like them but the are so simple inside. Dan, why do you hate the Tundras so much? Have you had one and it just didn't preform up to par or is it everything the Tundra is about?

My wife and I were talking about it and I've also been the type of individual that wants function, but also have the uniqueness of a vehicle, hence the srt Jeep.

My friend is looking for a Raptor for himself and sees no issue paying over $40k for a used 2010 one. Must be nice. :help:

I looked at Tundra's but I couldn't find a used one fully loaded that did not have tons of miles already on it. So in the end I got one heck of a deal on my 2011 Silverado 1500 Z71/LTZ that has every option available. Plus I am a Chevy guy thru and thru so even though the Ram's were nice and the Tundra's were a possibility I always kept coming back to wanting a Silverado.

If you really want something like a Raptor though, you can always consider buying a truck and throwing a small lift or leveling kit and beefier tires on and still be saving thousands over the Raptor.

No matter what though I see no reason to buy a new truck anymore with how much they cost when you can find one used. I saved just shy of $20k off the original sticker and it was only 1 1/2 years old. To each their own though.

Good luck man! :2thumbs:

Edited by JBlack151

. Dan, why do you hate the Tundras so much? Have you had one and it just didn't preform up to par or is it everything the Tundra is about?

Well I think they are ugly and just weird inside. I really did not like the way it felt when I drove it and I thought the seats were uncomfortable.

But mostly I just dont think it can compete with the Big 3. GM, Ford and Dodge are really truck companies that also make cars. Toyota is a car company that decided to make a truck. I just dont think that toyota put the same effort into the Tundra as they do to there cars. I think it was more of an afterthought. But thats just me.

In 2012 Toyota sold 96K Tundras which is not bad, but it is nothing compared to the big 3: Dodge 163K, Ford 343K, GM Twins 370K, and thats just 1/2 tons to be fair. I really think if Toyota made a better "Truck" it would have taken out a much larger bight out of those truck sales.

RAM is the best on the road IMO opinion right now....nothing else touches it in comfort of ride.....room inside.... and the gas mileage is best in class too.... hell the 2013 5.7hemis produce 395hp (the GM 6.2=403)

did I mention I just ordered a RAM, lol

Yes, I want a full size. I drove a Tacoma and thought the seats sat to low for a truck, I felt like I was in a lifted camry. Plus it had no power whatsoever. I've never been a big nissan fan. The seats in the Colrado were so unbearable. I drive a lot for work and will most likely start driving the truck more. I'll check out the Ram tonight online when I get to a computer

schwag.........drive a Ram 1500, do yourself the favor.

I never in my life thought I would be a dodge guy, but I am telling you....it has ALL the power you want, the GMs always hesitated to me, the Ram is there before you hit the pedal.

I drove a GMC Serria Denali and RAM Laramie with in 15 minutes of each other and the GMC felt like a logging truck in comparison to the RAM.......the RAM had quicker pick-up power too, IMO.

and the Ram has the most room. In the Crew Cab, the back seats have the same amount of room as the fronts, coming from a Chevy, I always thought the back seats were cramped. I was amazed at how HUGE the inside is on the RAMs.

just do yourself the favor and drive one.........yes, I was that impressed.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

My 2012 Silverado Ext cab is 1 year old this week and 10k on the clock. I like it. Happy with it. But if I could buy new again, RAM 1500 Hemi with some goodies

6.2, Silverado hands down. I have a 6.2 Crew Cab and wouldnt trade it for the world. It will out run any gasoline truck and will also out tow them by a long shot.

sorry bud, but thats just not true.

OP do yourself a favor and go test drive a 2011+ F150. With 4 engine options and multiple trim levels they make something for everybody.

However I believe a 2011 F150 Limited may fit your criteria the best if you can find one of course.

1.Limited production truck

2.411hp v8

3.available with awd

Just my opinion like all others.

Personally Ive owned 2 gm trucks and 2 ford trucks in the last 6 years and gm has to seriously step it up if they want my business again. My current 2012 supercrew FX4 is the best truck Ive ever had the pleasure of owning and it was bought brand new, leather interior and all, for well below 40 grand.

Good luck in your hunt. When it actually comes down to it I dont think you could go wrong with any of the big 3.

sorry bud, but thats just not true.

OP do yourself a favor and go test drive a 2011+ F150. With 4 engine options and multiple trim levels they make something for everybody.

However I believe a 2011 F150 Limited may fit your criteria the best if you can find one of course.

1.Limited production truck

2.411hp v8

3.available with awd

Just my opinion like all others.

Personally Ive owned 2 gm trucks and 2 ford trucks in the last 6 years and gm has to seriously step it up if they want my business again. My current 2012 supercrew FX4 is the best truck Ive ever had the pleasure of owning and it was bought brand new, leather interior and all, for well below 40 grand.

Good luck in your hunt. When it actually comes down to it I dont think you could go wrong with any of the big 3.

I live in the performance world (: So GM will be hands down the best choice for me IMO....

GM is falling behind in so many catagories..... technology, gas milage, looks, interior design, being first to market, plus the GM 2014 are nasty ugly.

It is sad too, GM, imo has rested on its laurels and fallen behind when it should have keep pushing the envelope. I was thought GM made the best, now I just cant say that with a straight face.

Calm down boys, I don't want this to turn into a blood bash. When I started the thread, I wanted feedback. Since we are all detailers, we see so many different vehicles some more than others on a daily basis. We see the good/bad in vehicles, parts that break break, etc. We all have diverse backgrounds regarding trucks. I'm going to look at trucks on Saturday and will post what I think. I'll probably just end up buying a $500 beater. Ha!

I would go and look at a Crew Cab Ecoboost. Those motors are hard to beat. I would take it over the 6.2 in either the Chevy or Ford.

As for the Raptor being overpriced they are about 3,000 more than a comparably equipped F150. Go out and try to get even CLOSE to having all the mods that a Raptor comes with (and a factory warranty). The suspension system would be easily 3-4,000 to replicate .