Customer Service 866.965.0400

Restoring/polishing billet aluminum rims

TX SS

Question

Signed up for the forum today after buying some metal polish #1 and #2 to try on some neglected billet rims I'm trying to bring back to life. The rims are used Weld Racing Cheyennes that I picked up a few weeks ago from someone that I don't think ever polished them. They were filthy when I got them and I've made some progress but still have a lot of work ahead of me.

Here are pictures from them the day I picked them up.

Fronts:

IMG_2817_zpsfab4e3e2.jpg

Backs:

IMG_2827_zpseb196b2d.jpg

To start out I first washed them. That cleaned some of the grime and grease but the backsides were still really rough. I turned to a wire wheel brush and sandpaper to give them a brushed aluminum finish (edges still need to be worked after tires come off).

IMG_2842_zps5c9e084f.jpg

Next turned to the front side to experiment. First wheel I hand polished the lips and the face of spokes with an over the counter product to see what it would do. Results are mediocre and not surprising considering rim condition.

IMG_2908_zpsb44a3a21.jpg

In process shot:

IMG_2846_zps289aae0c.jpg

Second wheel I fully wet sanded with various grits up to 2000 and then hand polished a section to see if results would be any better. Wheel is smoother and have cleared up some imperfections but test spot isn't polishing up great.

IMG_2891_zps4a2684c8.jpg

Rim on the left is sanded versus rim on right which has yet to be worked (with exception of test spot on lip):

IMG_2893_zpsc2418449.jpg

So as good as I expect metal polish #1 and #2 to be think I'm going to have to do quite a bit more prep work. Any suggestions on process, technique, etc. are welcomed.

Here is some experimenting. I'm still not real happy with finish, but with as bad of condition they are in I guess I can't expect much more without professional help. I sanded this wheel from 400 grit up to 2000 grit, then polished with tripoli and then Adams 1 and 2 (partially). Taped off the wheel to show the difference which you can clearly see. Wheels still have significant pitting I would like to get rid of.

IMG_2918_zps9cf2e8db.jpg

IMG_2920_zps3b21f4f2.jpg

IMG_2921_zps5cdf854c.jpg

Idea, and only an idea as I've not yet worked a set of raw billet wheels.

Continue with wet sanding 2500 grit to 3,000 grit. Try 0000 Steel Wool using the Metal Polishes. You then need to jump to mechanical action, by hand may never give the results you're looking for. Adam's Focus 4" Metal Polishing Pads on a drill or PC should help a lot.

Adams polishes are AMAZING polishes, but IMO were never meant to me used on highly pitted and oxidized material. I'd say you need more of a jewelers rouge and high speed tools to get the finish you require. I used to do business with a polishing company and they used those tools to get it darn near perfect and then went to something like the Adams products to get the mirror.

JMO

Adams polishes are AMAZING polishes, but IMO were never meant to me used on highly pitted and oxidized material. I'd say you need more of a jewelers rouge and high speed tools to get the finish you require. I used to do business with a polishing company and they used those tools to get it darn near perfect and then went to something like the Adams products to get the mirror.

JMO

Those pits might be a bit deeper than a rouge can pull out. Those need to be sanded out.

I've gone down to 220 grit sandpaper and have gotten somewhat better results. Picked up some 180 grit paper today that I will try next. Also have been looking at taking them to a commercial polisher once I get them prepped to the point I am satisfied. I then will take care of them properly unlike the prior owner. Will keep posting with updates as I go.

Those pits might be a bit deeper than a rouge can pull out. Those need to be sanded out.

Yes I agree, but after that...

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

I've gone down to 220 grit sandpaper and have gotten somewhat better results. Picked up some 180 grit paper today that I will try next. Also have been looking at taking them to a commercial polisher once I get them prepped to the point I am satisfied. I then will take care of them properly unlike the prior owner. Will keep posting with updates as I go.

You might want to try a greaseless abrasives on a buffing wheel or possibly craytex to make your life easier. Then the normal rouges.

Pits can't be avoided all the time. Those look more like rock chips than pitting.

Here are some photos of more testing. Sanded down to 180, then back up to 2000 and polish. This knocked down more of the pitting but not all. Think I am close to getting a finish I can live with. Am going to keep messing with them.

IMG_2931_zpsd80d1fd6.jpg

IMG_2928_zps74eb4f7f.jpg

IMG_2929_zpsdd2dec65.jpg

Made some more progress and finally getting to a result I can live with. These pictures are as of tonight after machine/hand sanding from 180 grit up to 2000, machine polishing with black and green compounds, and hand polishing with a heavy cut metal polish with a terry cloth. Next is to apply Adams 1 & 2 and then a sealer. I knew these would be work but I didn't think this much. Pics alternate between flash and no flash.

IMG_2940_zps136fa7f8.jpg

IMG_2941_zpsb5e6c8a6.jpg

IMG_2937_zpse24438e6.jpg

IMG_2938_zps8b222b8f.jpg

IMG_2935_zpsedde505f.jpg

IMG_2936_zps8703ca79.jpg

IMG_2942_zps470aa137.jpg

IMG_2943_zpse96b754e.jpg

Duuuuuuuude those look amazing!

Thanks.

While sanding were you able to keep from creating any low spots?

Yes, except in spots where I aggressively sanded to get out a scratch or scarring. The lips of the wheels were the worst and had some serious gouges. If you look closely at this wheel you will see some of the lettering on the lip was sanded out. This area on this particular rim was already thin when I got it and my sanding the scratches made it worse. I thought about sanding all the lettering out but thought it would create too much of a low spot.

Those really look great! I love polished aluminum over chrome, those look great.

Um, I have some Coddington wheels you can polish, you know, since you probably won't know what to do with all the spare time now that yours are done. :jester:

Bruce

Those really look great! I love polished aluminum over chrome, those look great.

Um, I have some Coddington wheels you can polish, you know, since you probably won't know what to do with all the spare time now that yours are done. :jester:

Bruce

Oh, I'll wait till after you finish the inner barrels though.

One word describes your work.

Excellent:)

Wow, they look so good.

Kevin

Thanks, I'm happy with how they are coming along.

Bruce

Oh, I'll wait till after you finish the inner barrels though.

Ha ha. Thanks but I will pass on your generous offer. And I only have this 1 wheel done. 3 more to go. I thought about polishing the inner barrels but don't think it is worth the time and effort for a daily driver.

Those are some seriously awesome results right there!

Thanks!  I'm pleased with how they turned out.

Wow those things look awesome!  Just how much time did it take you to do that?

Thanks.  Guessing on time but I would say 40 to 50 hours.  Some of that time was experimenting though.  If I had a defined process going in I think it would have taken 20 to 30 hours.  These rims were really bad off.