Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana Cracked X2

IrishCurse

Question

Hey guys, obviously I'm new, but Ive been using adams for a couple of years and have been trolling the forums for a while. Thanks for the great info and topics! I received a tub of americana with my porter cable polishing kit and it was cracked. I sent pics to Adams and of course, they immediately replaced my wax. :)

I took precautions this time and learned from the forums that I could/should put it in the fridge, which I did. I left to Turkey for a business project and was gone close to a year. When I took the tub out of the fridge, sure enough, three cracks. It seemed to go on my Camaro fine other than a few flakes and clumps breaking away at the crack edges. My question is, is this normal? Ok to use? It certainly isn't as user friendly as a solid puck for sure. I don't want to put Adams out, and I don't want something for nothing. Im wondering what it is that I'm doing that is causing this?

:help:

Matt

24 answers to this question

Why would one think that cracks in a fragile block of wax affect the performance? Every wax at some point will crack whether its 5 bucks or 70 bucks. I would also think that putting it in the fridge would possibly dry it out just like dry skin in the winter. You can get dehydrated in the winter cold months.

I live in NM, there is no humidity here. I'll go ahead and say average of 15-20%. I think Ive read Dylan sate that they designed the new containers to be air tight as air is detrimental to the wax. No air movement, no humidity alteration.

I was thinking the same, or a pyrex inside of a larger pan slowly heated to the necessary temp to melt the way. I'd lose a bit in the pyrex during re-pour, but oh well. I'd only resort to that if there was an application issue, or it got hard to work with. I did the SS a couple weeks back and it did seem to apply just fine.

I had to melt mine. You can float the container in a pan of water on the stove. Then heat until the wax melts and it will become one piece again. A lot of us had to do it when transferring to a new americana container from one that warped.

I had to melt mine. You can float the container in a pan of water on the stove. Then heat until the wax melts and it will become one piece again. A lot of us had to do it when transferring to a new americana container from one that warped.

Container shouldn't be floating IMO. If isn't sitting flat on the bottom of your pan your going to risk getting water in your Americana. Pan should have just enough water in it to where the container still sits flat on the bottom but is borderline floating. If it is floating dump some water out. And no your container isn't going to melt on the bottom being on the bottom of the pan, as long as it has water in it. I have been doing this method for years with my honey that I use in my coffee, and was the one that suggested the trick.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/waxing-glazing-sealing/15854.htm

Some might be thinking, how is water going to get in the container with the lid on? Lid should be off to release any pressure that may build up in container during this process. Just like anything that is heated up there is going to be a build up of pressure and it needs to escape to prevent disaster.

Edited by LFairbanks

My Americana has been cracked for awhile and the container is warped as well. Still works the same. One problem I am having is taking the cap on and off.

Dream Workz Auto Detailing using Tapatalk

Yea. I have a hell of a time getting the lid on and off.

This discussion brings up a related point...storage concerns. I have had my Americana for a year now and I use it sparingly. I use primarily MSS because I have daily drivers...white and silver. However, I occasionally throw on a coat of Americana for added protection and the joy of spreading the silky smooth wax over the paint.

First off...I live in Las Vegas (so it is pretty dry and hot). I keep the wax inside in my laundry room in a cabinet. Is this the best place for it? Or should it be stored in the fridge? Since I only use it occasionally, I want it to last as long as possible.

Also, how about a tiny spritz of DS before closing the container...again, it is dry here.

Thoughts??

^ This man is smart. I keep it in the climate controlled house in a Harry Potter closet under the stairs. Its basically my Adams closet as I have about 12 Gallon jugs, 7 in and out cans, 3 super sealants, tubs of applicators, tubs of towels, etc. I had my Americana in the fridge and thats what made it crack. Oh well I guess. It seemed to work just fine last application.

I was told you didn't have to keep in fridge[per Adam Team] and never had an issue with my wax or lid. I do keep it inside all the time weather its cold or hot out so it doesn't seem much drastic temperture change. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or I'm just one of the lucky ones.