Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather conditioner - slippery and sleek - need help

rimz808

Question

So I applied the Leather Conditioner to my BMW leather seats for the first time after cleaning it with the Leather cleaner. Went on fine, but my fear of it making the leather slippery and sleek came true. I dare not say it made it like how armor-all products makes the leather, but unfortunately, it kind of does.

I will give it a week to see if it becomes better, but after having used BMW's own leather conditioner, which doesn't make it slippery, i'm thinking of returning it. Maybe I applied too much? I used the amount that i saw on Adam's video. I didn't wipe it down afterwards though. I even applied it on my steering wheel, and while making turns, i felt like my hands were slipping off my wheel.

Are others experiencing this problem? :help:

15 answers to this question

Less is more for sure. Many people make the mistake of using more thinking it helps. You also have to allow it time to soak in and then level it off with a clean dry MF towel.

Chris

Less is more for sure. Many people make the mistake of using more thinking it helps. You also have to allow it time to soak in and then level it off with a clean dry MF towel.

Chris

That's what i figured. But i wasn't sure how much to use. 1-2 drop? I was just following what Adam did in his video in which he actually made a 360 with the product on the applicator pad.

Every cars leather is different and will take more or less. My G8 drinks it up, but I still go back and level it off. They've NEVER felt slippery or slick and NEVER EVER reminded me of Armor All.

If you want a matt finish, grab a gallon of Adams Interior Detailer. It leaves a VERY nice darker finish behind and still conditions and gives an SPF.

Chris

Like everyone else said, you either used too much, or didn't give it enough time to absorb. If the car is newer, the seats probably arent very dried out and don't need as much product. If the car is older, I normally over apply and let it soak in. Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner and Leather Conditioner will never give your seats an "Armor-All feel". This is how well the combo worked on the interior of a Ferrari I did, and nothing was shiny or greasy feeling.

Before:

IMG_0716_zpsc08be485.jpg

After:

IMG_0813_zpsecaad077.jpg

Appreciate all your feedback guys. I really do love this forum. Very good tips and advise. I will try to rub it down with a dry MF towel when i get home and see if that improves. If not, if i clean it with Leather cleaner, will it take off the conditioner so I can restart it again?

Would you suggest i then just use 1-2 drops of the conditioner?

Mahalo

Sounds like you went VERY heavy on the conditioner. Per the other suggestions definitely try a wipe down with a microfiber towel to remove the excess. Even slightly damp with water to help remove more.

If you decide the look/feel isn't for you then leather cleaner will certainly remove it, but your experience would definitely not be typical.

i've noticed the conditioner looks/feels more greasy when too much is applied to darker colored leather than lighter colored leather, for whatever reason. either way, i give the product about an hour to "soak" before going back to buff off any excess with a dry microfiber towel.

Just like with wax, it's better to do 2 thin applications rather than lay it on thick in one go.

Everybody has provided great info - every manufacturer uses different leather, so go at it slowly: use less, let it absorb, go back and use a little more if it looks uneven, wipe down with a microfiber towel afterwards to remove excess product/shine.

After a few initial applications the leather will maintain an even appearance and you'll know how much to use from then on!

Sounds like you went VERY heavy on the conditioner. Per the other suggestions definitely try a wipe down with a microfiber towel to remove the excess. Even slightly damp with water to help remove more.

If you decide the look/feel isn't for you then leather cleaner will certainly remove it, but your experience would definitely not be typical.

Thanks all for your inputs. I have applied a dry MF towel to buff it down and it seemed to have worked. Driving my car this morning, i did notice a much better feeling to my leather and steering wheel. Not as sleek and slippery as yesterday. I probably did put too much like you all said. Good to know I can find the help and advise on here.

Next time i apply it, i definitely will use less. I also like the smell A LOT. Makes my car smell like premium leather (which it is), but having that smell reminds me of when i first got it 4 years ago.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Yes as others have said - Apply thin layer with a foam applicator and buff with a microfiber cloth. I do this method with my seats as well as doors/dash and they all turn out rich-looking and dry to touch.

Sounds like you applied way too much. It will "absorb" to a more matte finish within a week or two.