Customer Service 866.965.0400

411 on stripping wax

rimz808

Question

Hey guys,

Ok, i need to know the 411 on stripping wax. I've always been just washing and putting wax/polish when i think it's time my car needs it. However, i never knew about stripping wax/taking it off. Therefore, i would like the 411 on the process and procedure.

Why strip wax?

When do i strip wax?

How do i know if i have strip all the wax off?

What do i use to strip off wax?

What are the "need to look out for"?

Any help into this would be greatly appreciated. Again, i never knew about taking off wax until i started reading this forum. My car is a little over 3 years old and i've been washing and taking care of her very well. I wax and polish at least 3-4 times a year. What would be the "best" practices?

Mahalo,

Ryan

Dilute 70/30 alcohol/de-ionized water.  I have 91% and I diluted 70/30 as well.  I have since read that I may have made too strong a brew, which is the reason for my answer to your question.  I will admit that my 70/30 mix performed super, and dried completely streak free.  I'd dilute 70/30, see how it performs for you, and adjust accordingly.  I like my strong brew, so I'm sticking with it.  I just need to keep it from the plastics and vinyl like cryptonite from superman.

I was actually just thinking of this topic the other day and I wanted to start a thread and ask my question but this looks to be the perfect spot to ask! 

I've never stripped the wax off my SS prior to correcting it. Now... It beads as if I just waxed it yesterday, all the time. And I haven't touched it with anything since the end of last season. And it sits out side. I wash it at least once a week, either spraying it down at the car wash or hand washing.

My question is... If I strip the wax off to do a proper paint correction, will the also strip my glass? My glass beads amazingly and number one - I love it! and number two - I've never done anything with it other than installed a set of SilBlade wiper blades. But I don't want my glass going back to loooking like poo if I get caught out in the rain or what have you.

The IPA that bought was 70% in the bottle. Do I dilute it again 50%. Is it sprayed on and wiped off or applied to the towel and wiped?

2nd this question and an additional question.

I want to polish a daily driver, but it will be a panel at a time. Maybe hood and fenders this week and doors next week.

Can I do my normal wash [car beads like crazy] then just strip my hood with the alcohol. Or do you guys use the alcohol AFTER washing the car with dawn or something.

Basically I just dont want to strip the car all at once [i apologize if this derails the thread]