Customer Service 866.965.0400

having trouble on my new truck, need help!

needham

Question

so I finially got my new 2013 Black RAM Longhorn fresh from the factory.

I am having some real issues trying to get this thing right. I am a novice, through and through so I am looking for answers.

washed and clayed to smooth, and pull her inside to check it out.

start shining the brinkmann on it and find some random smaller sctraches and what I would call minor/very light swirls.

using the flex.

1. FMP with white pad speed 6....... didnt take it out.

2. kick it up to SHR/Orange ......still not there

3. go entire 3 step , green, then oreange, then white.........have more swirls than I started with.

back up and punt read the boards here...

1.FMP on black pad speed 6 then 4  then revive on black pad speed 3........tiny swirls still there

2. then try FMP on black speed 3 and FMP/Revive on red pad speed 2 little to no pressure.........still there.

UGHHHHH. I am about to pull my hair out, as this is really frustrating. I really want to polish my truck, but dont want to go over the whole truck knowing I am not perfecting anything.

I am not quite going for tits perfect, but I am not even touching the RIDS and feel like I am adding to the swirls

please help.

With all due respect he used a clean, dry pad, four pea size drops, a hit of DS, 2x2 foot area.

Too much pressure, not enought pressure, well IMO it was pretty darn close not to see any difference, NONE!

Don't you agree he should see atleast a slight improvement ?

there's just something not right here, not sure what but I wish I could go meet with him, be with him and support him.

Teamwork if you will but he's too far from me.

It's time to go out of our way and help him.

Kevin

Judging by what I saw:

A.  Too much product on that pad.  That's fighting you.

B.  Make sure with the Flex you are only using enough pressure to "mushroom" the pad.  To me, looks like you are leaning on it a little bit.

C.  Speed is okay.

D.  Tighten up your overlapping by an inch or so.

E.  It looks like that polish didn't flash or open because there was still too much on the pad.

Brand new pad:

A "x" of SHR on the pad.  Half Spray of DS.   That amount of polish should be about right for HALF of your hood at the least.

From there, BEFORE adding more polish, examine the pad.  What do you see?  Still some residual marks from the original polish "x"? Is so, guess what, there's still polish on your pad.  Refrain, for now, from adding any more polish.  Hit that puppy with some DS.  Spread that out to see how much further you can go without having to add more.  Once you figure out your "polish distance", I think you will find you were adding too much polish too often, causing less than desirable results.

Mook

With all due respect he used a clean, dry pad, four pea size drops, a hit of DS, 2x2 foot area.

Too much pressure, not enought pressure, well IMO it was pretty darn close not to see any difference, NONE!

Don't you agree he should see atleast a slight improvement ?

there's just something not right here, not sure what but I wish I could go meet with him, be with him and support him.

Teamwork if you will but he's too far from me.

It's time to go out of our way and help him.

Kevin

A.  I am trying to help!

B.  The pad had polish residue on it from before, as I could see it on the pad, underneath the drops of fresh polish, hence me making the too much polish comment.

C.  I agree, is anyone close to this guy to maybe stop on over and help him in person?  

I know you are Mook but can we dig a little deeper in helping?

He lives about 5 hours from me, if need be I'd meet him half way.

Kevin

Sometimes when there are two involed helps, support is everything in my book.

Mook, would you agree with me that he should see some kind of Improvment after so many tries?

I never met the dude but feel bad for him being he bought it brand new a week ago today.

Somehow it will work out

A.  I am trying to help!

B.  The pad had polish residue on it from before, as I could see it on the pad, underneath the drops of fresh polish, hence me making the too much polish comment.

C.  I agree, is anyone close to this guy to maybe stop on over and help him in person?

He has seen improvement, but then covered it back up, from what I gather in this thread.  That tells me it's a variable with the pressure and amount of product being used, especially after seeing the video.

Nothing wrong right now other than not getting the results that are expected.  That *should* be an easy fix!  We WILL get there.

Mook

:glasses:

Great point.

Who knows!

He should call the dealership and ask them.

Worth a shot

I'm no expert but what are the odds that there is something already on the paint?  Something installed by the dealer perhaps?

He already did an IPA wipedown multiple times. This should get rid of any sealant or wax, not to mention he strip washed and clayed.

Mook: The polish in the video you see on the pad already is, I think him priming it. Putting polish on the pad and then spreading it around with his finger. Then he added a few small dots of polish. With this technique I don't think the shot of detail spray is necessary however.

I only suggested this to him because of the fear of dry buffing from the micro marring we are seeing.

No way there is a coating on that he didn't pay heavily for at the dealership. Even if there was it would be polished off by now.

I say follow Mooks list of steps to the T using less product, and the same technique but with slightly less pressure. Something has to give. Take a good before and after shot this time.

Do exactly as they said and report back.

Do it like Adam does it, clean pad, make an x then a hit of DS, don't add anymore product and work a 2x2 area as we spoke about.

Work the area until it flashes and stop, take a pic before working it again so we can see it.

In other words, do it like you see on his video and let's see if you get it corrected.

Kevin

You're doing it correctly so don't stress:)

ok, about to try again. will report back.

and to clarify, I have not seen improvement, worse if anything at this point.

Edited by MrHot88

befores

post-4462-0-54530600-1369428376_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-40085300-1369428305_thumb.jpg

amount of polish

post-4462-0-91485900-1369428530_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-32377700-1369428658_thumb.jpg

Flash and Sun dont lie.

post-4462-0-02255000-1369428760_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-30154600-1369428870_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-32558900-1369429006_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-82402100-1369429130_thumb.jpg

still a swirled up mess, it did take out a bit of the hazing, but still not acceptable by even a SOS pad standard.

Open to ideas, though I am thinkning with as many passes and combos, trails I have ran, it might be time to punt.

SHR speed 5, worked till flashed. much less product and less pressure

FMP speed 4 , till flashed (4 passes) less product and pressure .

What next?

Edited by needham

Is there dust or anything in the air? Maybe thats landing on the paint and getting into the pad. I saw how that fan was pointed in the video so thats what makes me think dust or other stuff in the air getting on the truck.

Oh I know, I looked right after I said that.  Was hoping closer to me.  I'm no expert, but I've had great success with the products and polishers.  I agree with you Kevin, if anyone lives close, I think it would be a great gesture to help in person, if possible.

Your last set of pictures look like micro-marring to me.

This usually happens when the paint is soft, which Mook believes this paint is and you're using too aggressive of a polish or compound. However, the fine machine polish isn't aggressive at all and shouldn't be causing this. This makes me scratch my head and wish I was there to help.

The fix for micro-marring on soft paint usually is a less aggressive pad/polish combination.

I should have told the woman to bring me a '13 Ram to work on :(. Would love to tackle this and I may ask her to get me one, just to see what's up.

I always believed the paint was soft too, hence the reason for the FMP with black pad I tried.(having read Dylan having success with it)

Maybe the pictures do not go well as I have not got EXACTLY the same camera lens angle twice, but here live and in person there is really no difference between a polished and unpolished area.

I will probably call headquarters tues morning after the holiday.

Edited by needham

Your light source is tough too besides the sun shots.  A halogen light would aid us in seeing the process greatly.  I know you're probably frustrated greatly by now, but I bet I can speak for everyone by saying I have never seen someone have this level of difficulty with Adams products... any of them, before.  I own a 2005 Dodge and the first time I corrected the paint it was corrected to 95% or so.  A better comparison to your current ride would be my fiancee's 2012 Jeep Liberty (Both Chrysler).  I corrected hers to a mirror shine with no difficulty other than dealer neglect in the form of water spots/etching.  Keep your head up, maybe drive that puppy to a detail clinic near your area and I KNOW the Adams crew will aid you... probably even use your truck as the demo vehicle and assist you.

A lot has been said here and it seems its not working. Unfortunately with none of us there its hard. I will say from this point have you backed off on your pressure? How big of a guy are you? It looked like you were putting a lot of pressure down. Have you tried with just the weight of your arm?

you cant tell by my fatass in the video?? LOL

lmao, for real, I go a heathy 250, probably a shade more.

and yes, from the video I have back off my pressure per Mook's instruction.