Customer Service 866.965.0400

having trouble on my new truck, need help!

needham

Question

so I finially got my new 2013 Black RAM Longhorn fresh from the factory.

I am having some real issues trying to get this thing right. I am a novice, through and through so I am looking for answers.

washed and clayed to smooth, and pull her inside to check it out.

start shining the brinkmann on it and find some random smaller sctraches and what I would call minor/very light swirls.

using the flex.

1. FMP with white pad speed 6....... didnt take it out.

2. kick it up to SHR/Orange ......still not there

3. go entire 3 step , green, then oreange, then white.........have more swirls than I started with.

back up and punt read the boards here...

1.FMP on black pad speed 6 then 4  then revive on black pad speed 3........tiny swirls still there

2. then try FMP on black speed 3 and FMP/Revive on red pad speed 2 little to no pressure.........still there.

UGHHHHH. I am about to pull my hair out, as this is really frustrating. I really want to polish my truck, but dont want to go over the whole truck knowing I am not perfecting anything.

I am not quite going for tits perfect, but I am not even touching the RIDS and feel like I am adding to the swirls

please help.

Oomph. Stop. Those pads are not to be used in that manner. If you are stepping up the intensity and seeing MORE swirls then you have introduced grit or dirt somewhere in your process. It may be missed dirt during washing that found its way into your pads, improper pad control during polishing, something. You need to stop immediately and inspect all of your pads, towels, truck body panels, etc. and identify what's dirty, clean it, then clean everything that was contaminated by it, then start again another day once everything has dried.

Agreed with Irish (Where the hell is everyone's name on here haha)

Forum members may have tried crazy combinations like that...but Adam's has tested the set-up they have for years....stick with the basics for now. 

1. Make sure everything is clean like Irish said

2. WW technique on each panel before beginning couldn't hurt...even IPA

3. Once pads are cleaned and your sure there is no dirt grime on panel/pad....begin

4. FMP, try a 3 pad by 3 pad area....work the polish slowly....speed 5....check

5. Inspect

6. Work your way from there until your happy with the results. 

Little tip....--> Get your pad brush out...speed 2....turn-on Flex upside down....gently rub it over the surface of the pad to dislodge any built-up polish/debris between panels.  That's what I do and it works.....

its not swirls per say, I believe it to be "micro marring".

I have tried not working as much, working longer.......I find it pretty easy to tell when it has flashed since it is black. IE, when you start to see reflection its worked, as the polish is clear at that point.

it cant be seen really but when you use the brinkman, the RIDS are of course but the swirls arent.

IDK, but I am trying to figure it out.....and washing towels/ pads everynight is tiresome, as sometimes they are not fully dry the next day.

I just want to be done and move on, knowing I have done the job.

The truck is huge so it going to be a lengthy process anyways.

You're jumping back and forth too much before really narrowing down what the issue is. 

You went from FMP + White Pad at speed 6 to FMP + Black Pad at speed 4

Don't change 2 variables when trying to figure out where your problem is b/c you'll never figure out where the issue is. You have to approach diagnosing things like this very systematically. 

Go back to FMP + White Pad but this time at speed 4. 

Also provide some pictures if you can of the issue so we have a better idea of what you're looking at. 

Often times if you're INTRODUCING damage theres a few areas it could be coming from. 

Under-working the SSR or SHR steps

Over-working the FMP steps

Moving too fast (arm movements)

Using too much product

Your dry buffing and probably overworking the polishes. Prime the entire face of the pad with polish. Then add three drops of polish and proceed with three or four sections passes or until the polish flashes. Your last section pass should be with very light pressure. Inspect your work and proceed based on what you see. Should not take very long to knock out micro marring.

I hope so Camaro..... but it is not all micro marring as there is some dealer installed swirls too. but they are very light. 

I am going to wash and try again this evening, and try to get up some pics.

thanks, I will post back. I got a feeling this is going to be a process of elimination

what we are dealing with

post-4462-0-14510200-1369262924_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-05332500-1369263014_thumb.jpg

test spot size

post-4462-0-94186200-1369263123_thumb.jpg

amount of product

post-4462-0-94796100-1369263505_thumb.jpg

what I called flashed

post-4462-0-64309300-1369263591_thumb.jpg

end result

post-4462-0-77778400-1369263750_thumb.jpg

what gives?

clean pads, clean single softs.....IPA wipe down before and after.

the end result pic is of 7 section passes of SHR and 6 section passes of FMP both set on 6.

I went back and did a another round with FMP set on 4 with a totally new pad, no change.

sorry but have I to say I am frustrated and looking for guidance.

I am going to clean up and wait for more ideas to roll in......

can there be something in the IPA????

I just did 4 section passes with FMP on black pad on 6 and it looks perfect wiped off with a double soft...spray it with IPA , back to swirl town, UGH.

can there be something in the IPA????

I just did 4 section passes with FMP on black pad on 6 and it looks perfect wiped off with a double soft...spray it with IPA , back to swirl town, UGH.

Try not spraying the IPA on it after wiping the polish off.

Edited by egott_91

Try not spraying the IPA on it after wiping the polish off.

are you being sarcastic? if not I have no idea what you are trying to say other than repeating what I said.

Edited by needham

Did you prime the pad? Seems like there might be some dry buffing.

What I like to do is get a thin layer of product all over the pad that's spread by my finger first. Then I like to add 4 to 5 pea sized drops, then I begin polishing..

1. Prime pad

2. Pea sized drops

3. Spread product onto area you are working (low speed)

4. Begin correcting

EDIT: ForceOfWill already said it. This could be the issue.

Edited by BKazzle

my experience with dodge clearcoat is easy to work with not as hard as GM and not as soft as Hyundai.  With that being said my wifes 2012 dodge caravan (black) had some swirl marks on the hood that were visible with the brinkman.  i used SHR on orange pad primed the pad with an "X"  and one half shot of detail spray.  After that i used 3-4 sized pea drops.  2-3 passes on speed 5 removed 99% of imperfections if not 100% followed by FMP white pad speed 5 and same thing as above.  hood was perfect.  i wouldn't recommend using a black/red pad with FMP because i don't see it helping any with mopar's clear.  maybe if it was something from japan...

Edited by billabongbum