Customer Service 866.965.0400

I can't clean a window to save my life.

JJ1o87

Question

I consider myself to be somewhat well rounded when it comes to auto-detailing. Sure, I'm not a pro, but my car always looks superclean. I do however have a problem, and that problem is my windows. I don't know what my problem is but I cannot EVER get my windows to be perfectly clear. I've clay barred them, used different techniques (paper towels, newspaper, microfiber, even a squeegee!) and no matter what I do I will always have spots where there's a sort of haze on my window. Being the anal person that I am when it comes to detailing it drives me absolutely nuts. And the spots where the haze exists is rather rough and needs to be resprayed with cleaner (I've tried windex, perfect glass, and adams glass cleaner) to remove the spot but it only appears on yet another spot. I'm at my wits end I can't take it anymore. Can anyone help me?! :willy:

Well I am one that really sucks at glass cleaning but since I have used the Adam's Glass Cleaner I can actually say that I have not had any streaks.

The day I started to use it I was like a crazy person on speed doing all the glass in the house because it actually worked. :banana::banana:

I'll start by saying I always use Adams glass cleaner and a micro fiber towel.

On really BAD glass, contanimated with oil, smoke, etc,, I initially clean with denatured alcohol, changing the cleaning pad often and buffing with a micro fiber.

Val

i would try using the clay bar with all purpose cleaner as a lubricant, clean it real good with adams glass cleaner. when you think its clean, go over it again with the glass cleaner. follow up with BSG on the glass.:xfingers:

Good Call, that's what I do!:iagree:

BSG on inside and out save me all of the time... i am horrible at cleaning glass as well.

nice thing with BSG is that after hazing up and you go to wipe away... it will show you where you have missed...

not to mension, BSG on Exterior glass = no wipers!!!

(off topic but to show you. my father is a firefighter and loved BSG so much on the windows... that he had me do his fire helmet because it would bead off the water when fighting fires)

Clay bar with the all purpose cleaner followed by a bsg on the window sounds like a good idea I might have to try that one. It's not water spots or anything its like a haze it's the weirdest thing. It drives me crazy. I'm weary about using microfiber because when I use microfiber i get the fibers all over the window.

Why is it that word gl*** spelling is being changed. Also i'm sorry about posting something about a different cleaner that I use. God I know different.

Cause Jason turned on the bad word software :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

I think a lot of window cleaning problem is the light. You finish cleaning the window and it looks great but take it out in the sun or have headlights shine on it and it looks streaky. You have to see the window in all lights to get it clean. After cleaning the window take it out in the sun and look at it from all angles. The higher the sun the better. If in a garage then use a flourescent to really see if there are no streaks. Again look at from all angles. It is a real art to find and eliminate all the streaks. The key is using light and examining from all angles not just looking at the glass from straight on. Hope this helps.

I think a lot of window cleaning problem is the light. You finish cleaning the window and it looks great but take it out in the sun or have headlights shine on it and it looks streaky. You have to see the window in all lights to get it clean. After cleaning the window take it out in the sun and look at it from all angles. The higher the sun the better. If in a garage then use a flourescent to really see if there are no streaks. Again look at from all angles. It is a real art to find and eliminate all the streaks. The key is using light and examining from all angles not just looking at the glass from straight on. Hope this helps.

You're absolutely right, in the garage it looks fine. The second it goes outside I'm like :willy:.

Great advice :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anyone ever notice, It's easier to clean (house) window glass than (auto) window glass?

It must have to do with the type of dirt that is present on each.

I use the Glass Cleaner in the house and it goes so fast. Mist - Wipe and I'm done. The truck is never that easy.

The one trick that I learned years ago which you already mentioned is to use newspaper. It is cheap and I find it leaves a sparkle on the glass. I also find that it is best to clean glass when it is out of the sun and cool. The final time I go over it I try to use the piece of newspaper with the most print on it and have the glass just a bit damp with cleaner. Just my $.02

If you don't have microfiber you can use those paper coffee filter papers. No lint, and works really well. :cheers:

Don't the coffee grounds make a mess? :lol:

I hate doing the windows also, invariably I think they are spotless, then I pull into the sun and see a streak, or spot I missed. In our defense, if we weren't all so anal we wouldn't notice. It bugs me sitting at a light and looking through the glass on the car in front of me, wondering if they have ever done their windows.

Bruce

I typically always clean my windows twice right now using Stoner's and an Adam's microfiber and continually flipping to a dry part to wipe it off. Then once the entire window is done I would take a dry microfiber and basically buff the streaks out. It works every time no streaks. The reason why I clean it twice is to be sure to get all the grime off of the window.

they key is to use as little product as possible 2 of adams towels spray a small amount on the 1st towel and wipe all the gunk off and then go back with your 2nd clean mf and clean up the streaks!!works everytime for me!!:thumbsup: oh and NEVER EVER USE WINDEX ON A CAR!!in the house only...