Customer Service 866.965.0400

How often to machine polish?

j-r35

Question

Just curious to know how often do you guys machine polish and what type of routine you guys have. Currently have 3 vehicles I maintain, Gtr gets washed weekly and so far have used my PC on it once. Toureg usually every other week wash and once a month machine polish and seal. Tundra once a month since its my dd and stays outside. Usually clay before any of the pads touch the paint.

10 answers to this question

Many here will tell you that its up to you and what you can live with.  if you can polish your car to perfection and keep it that way forever, then polish it once.  But we live in the real world of course so we fight a constant battle of getting it to perfect or near-perfect, trying to fight nature to keep it that way, polishing it back to where we want it to be, rinse, and repeat.  A good rule of thumb, or average, would be 2 times a year I'd say, but its all up to you, and what you can live with.

Edit:  Welcome to the forum BTW!!!

Edited by IrishCurse

Yep!  Depends on the vehicle, how much it's used and how much it's cleaned and HOW it's used.  

My G8 gets a solid correction in the spring and then a little here and there through the summer or late fall, but that's as my DD.

My wifes car usually gets polished out with FMP once a year.  It sits inside all year and she puts probably 5,000 miles on it a year right now.  No need to do too much! 

My new truck won't be corrected.  It'll be cared for, but I'm done correcting my DD.  It's too hard with my 2 youngins and wife.  

Did a full correction on the vette 4 years ago. Stays in a garage, never gets dirty or wet. Haven't put water on it since. The paint still looks 95% the way it did when I finished polishing.

G8 stays outside 24/7. Sees all sorts of elements all year round. Washed weekly during the warm months. Did a full correction 3 years ago, and every spring I just go over it once with FMP and the white pad. Paint is about 90%.

Basically, once you do a full correction, it's how you maintain the car which will determine when you need to break out the machine again. A good coat of sealant or wax coupled with following proper washing and dusting techniques will prolong the condition of your finish.

Basically, once you do a full correction, it's how to you maintain the car which will determine when you need to break out the machine again. A good coat of sealant or wax coupled with following proper washing and dusting techniques will prolong the condition of your finish.

Yup... I did my VW when I first got it about 3 years ago, and I've washed it carefully ever since. Last spring I hit some of it with FMP, but that's about it -- despite the fact that it's outside all the time, it's protected with Spray Sealant and Americana and hasn't gotten any significant new swirls.

Gotcha was doing it twice a year in the toureg but wasn't sure if I really needed to do it over or not paint is easy to maintain on that one. Main issue is my truck since its black and my dd. for light dusting are you guys just hitting it with detailer and wiping?

Waterless wash would be your best bet for getting rid of light dusting. It will help fight against light marring that may occur. After you get the dust off, you can spray it with quick detailer.

I use my STI more than the CTS, so I like to correct the STI at least twice a year and the clear is SUPER SOFT, so its simple to correct with usually fine machine polish. The CTS, I will look over once a year and fix what is needed.

I'll be happy to take the GTR off your hands if the other cars become too much for you; I'll even throw in my STI and we will call it even.(CTS is on the table too) :jester:

kidding of course! but its worth a try.

Edited by BKazzle

I usually tell people "All detailing processes are AS NEEDED" meaning:

If its dirty... wash it. 

If its rough... clay it. 

If its swirled... polish it.

If the water doesn't bead... wax it. 

Other than those circumstances there isn't anything that has to be done at any specific interval. Address the issues as they arrive. 

I usually tell people "All detailing processes are AS NEEDED" meaning:

If its dirty... wash it. 

If its rough... clay it. 

If its swirled... polish it.

If the water doesn't bead... wax it. 

Other than those circumstances there isn't anything that has to be done at any specific interval. Address the issues as they arrive. 

That just about sums it up.......

Thanks guys.  My tundra is the only vehicle i've had to use the sever swirl on so far.  The other 2 I can just get away w/polish and sealing.  My main thing though is the machine polishing you gotta wait 24hrs before applying any other product.  I usually just seal and be on my way but wanna try and glaze/wax combo eventually one of these days to see the difference especially w/the gtr.  My glaze has been sitting for close to a year and i've yet to try it, haha.