Customer Service 866.965.0400

New 2-Step Paint Correction System Discussion

Team Adam's

Question

This week we released for presale our new Paint Correcting Polish, Paint Finishing Polish, and Microfiber pad system. The videos below are part of a larger series that will be released later this month with even more new products and tools.

Some basic FAQ questions that have come up so far:

Does this replace the old SSR, SHR, and FMP system?

Yes. The new 2 step system is more effective and faster.

Are you discontinuing foam pads?

No. Adam's foam pads will still be sold. The only pad being discontinued is the green pad since Severe Swirl Remover is no longer needed/offered.

Will the new polishes work with my current foam pads?

Yes. The foam pads are not changing. The same orange and white foam pads you currently use can be used with the new system.

Which is better, microfiber or foam?

There is no one size fits all answer. Different conditions call for different pads, we suggest watching the videos below and perhaps trying both systems to see what works better for you. Each system has pros and cons.

Can you use the old polish system with the new microfiber pads?

Yes. While the results may not be consistent or as effective as the new polishes, the current polishes can be used with the new system.

Will there be a 4" version of the microfiber pads?

Yes. Look for the 4" microfiber system to be released near the end of June - beginning of July.

How do I clean my Microfiber pads?

Adam's Microfiber Cutting and Microfiber Finishing pads are machine washable! Start by using the pad brush to break up any caked on polish from the fibers. If very dense polish contamination is on the pads surface spray a few squirts of Adam's Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener into the face of the pad and agitate lightly. Wash on a warm (not hot) setting separate from all other materials (including your microfiber towels).

Air dry the pads somewhere clean and with plenty of airflow. If faster drying is needed the pads can be machine dried, be sure to use no fabric softener and the lowest heat setting possible.

EDIT 7/1 - Replaced the individual videos with a single playlist link below.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Up until this year I NEVER used IPA after polishing.  I'd use WW, but never IPA.  With FP I just saw no need and I was in a hurry to get done seeing that it was almost 9PM. :) 

I've never had an issue with longevity with this method and I've never seen where Adams recommends an IPA wipe down between polish and seal.

That being said, an IPA wipe down isn't going to hurt a thing! 

I used the FP last night for the first time and I found it MUCH less greasy than FMP.  I was going to do an alcohol wipe down but deemed it unnecessary.

that's what i noticed with it working on the Escalade last week. but i still gave it a once over with some Revive just in case. i'll post some pics next time i wash it and put some Patriot on. in-laws came in town the day i finished polishing/sealing, and now its raining :(

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

Finally going to get to do this hopefully this week.  Just wanted to clarify a few points before i get started.

-New system doesn't need to be hit w/detail spray?  

-To clean the new pads, hit it w/apc or laundry it by themselves?

-Read that you pretty much have to clean the pads per panel as they dust more?

Funny thing is i have pretty much full bottles of the old system, planning on using them on everything else/practice w/my new flex.  

Finally going to get to do this hopefully this week.  Just wanted to clarify a few points before i get started.

-New system doesn't need to be hit w/detail spray?  

-Foam yes, MF no.

-APC for foam, MF Revitalizer for MF, and separate from towels

-Read that you pretty much have to clean the pads per panel as they dust more?

Foam can go multiple panels before needing to be cleaned out. MF more often because the fibers really soak up the product. They just need to be brushed out after each panel, which takes mere seconds.

Funny thing is i have pretty much full bottles of the old system, planning on using them on everything else/practice w/my new flex.  

Answers in red

I still hit my MF pads with a shot of DS after brushing them out.  The Flex builds up so much heat, that I think it helps keep the polish working.  

I did my whole RAM this way and it worked flawlessly.  It may not be what Adams recommends, but it worked for me!  

Of course, you could always use water!!   :rolleyes: That would keep it from getting too Hott...   :ph34r:

I have had good results cleaning the MF pads with APC.  I let them soak in a bucket for a few hours (even a few days sometimes) and rub them on the Grit Guard to remove any polish.  Rinse until the water runs clear.

Not really, but general observations will tell you what you're dealing with. If the paint damages EXTREMELY easy you have a softer clear coat, but the good news is that it will correct really easily too. 

If the paint seems not to swirl up too easy, but takes brute force to correct then you're dealing with a harder clear. 

Most cars fall somewhere in the middle, theres a few exceptions with really hard or really soft clears, but generally  its going to be in the middle.

Assuming you're buying a new car straight off the lot. In your experience, which manufacturers have harder/softer clear coat?

Assuming you're buying a new car straight off the lot. In your experience, which manufacturers have harder/softer clear coat?

Usually this is what I mentally think when I approach a client's car, but as always a test spot is VITAL!

Ford = medium

GM = Hard

Nissan = soft

Porsche = soft

Acura = soft

Dodge = varies more than normal, done soft to insanely hard

Honda = soft - medium

Mercedes = hard

BMW = medium - hard

I'm blanking on other manufacturer's. Those are most of the big ones I think though.

Edited by ihaveacamaro

If you look funny at my G8 it'll scratch.  I think it varies from model to model.  Like Cadillac may have a harder clear than a Cruze and a Lincoln may have a harder clear than a Focus. 

My RAM corrected pretty easily, although I was the only one to touch the paint and it wasn't horrible.  We'll see what the future brings.

My dads BMW's are all hard as heck.  M5, M3, and X3.  I'm so jealous of it.  I can't wash my G8 without having to polish it and I am OCD about my washing method. 

If you look funny at my G8 it'll scratch.  I think it varies from model to model.  Like Cadillac may have a harder clear than a Cruze and a Lincoln may have a harder clear than a Focus. 

My RAM corrected pretty easily, although I was the only one to touch the paint and it wasn't horrible.  We'll see what the future brings.

My dads BMW's are all hard as heck.  M5, M3, and X3.  I'm so jealous of it.  I can't wash my G8 without having to polish it and I am OCD about my washing method. 

Yeah all I was saying were my general guidelines when I approach a car. Having soft paint sucks! I feel for you!

Man, that's crazy.  You'd think GM being GM the clears would all act the same or similar.  I've washed my truck maybe close to 10 times since I've had it and seen no evidence of marring or swirls.  I haven't done an actual whole paint correction on it yet (don't think it needs it) but i will this fall.

I did a small test spot on my bed rails where my tonneau cover made some scratches using PC w/ 4inch green pad & SSR.  It seems to be pretty hard.  I will be ordering some micro pads + PCP very soon...

Man, that's crazy.  You'd think GM being GM the clears would all act the same or similar.  I've washed my truck maybe close to 10 times since I've had it and seen no evidence of marring or swirls.  I haven't done an actual whole paint correction on it yet (don't think it needs it) but i will this fall.

I did a small test spot on my bed rails where my tonneau cover made some scratches using PC w/ 4inch green pad & SSR.  It seems to be pretty hard.  I will be ordering some micro pads + PCP very soon...

Certain colors (like yours) make it VERY hard to see anything until you put a VERY bright light to it.  A flash on a camera with it set to macro would do the job though.  :) 

This is why I bought white.  I'm sick of cringing every time I see my car.  

Chris

I would think the fact that GM makes vehicles globally from America to Australia that has a lot to do with the inconsistencies. 

just to keep in your mind too guys, seem to be ignoring the fact of the substrate the paint is on.  From aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber, there are all different factors that you need to think of as well.  For example most of the Ferrari's I do can have special order paint, and in that example those are taken off the line across the street and custom painted, and have varied greatly from "regular" run cars.  Roshan's list is pretty good, if anyone wants to learn more google a list and you will see the overall idea for general manufacturers.    Just remember there are always outliers and a test spot is always your best bet.

There is a lot of great information being shared here. I dig it.

Don't forget some manufacturers aren't shooting clear on colors of certain models either. Then there's custom paint...

Always best to test a spot, get ya happy, and rock it out from there!

Mook

Thanks Roshan, what about Chrysler and Toyota?

Test spot for Toyota, whites and blacks are single stage I believe. 

BTW, white single stage is your worst nightmare. That is the bar by which hard paint is set upon. It is the unholy offspring of concrete and lacquer. 

Black single stage isn't bad, kind of soft. 

Haven't done enough Chryslers to feel comfortable giving a range sorry.

Edited by ihaveacamaro

So i now know why they call me the hordganizer.  Yes its a cross between someone who is a super organizer and a person that hords things....

I haven't had much time to do anything with the new baby lately let alone any real detail work. but since he's 7months now its time to get back into getting some stuff accomplished.  anyways i have a 2 door cabinet in the basement where i store all my adams collection.  One for my spray bottle assortment and one for polishes and sealant, etc. i was putting my new 2 step polish bottles in my cabinet and saw that i have 2 full unopened bottles each 1 half full  each of the now old three step polish.  i then proceeded to go to my other cabinet that holds alll my towels, pads, and applicators.  2 brand new green 7" and 2 band new green 4" pads.

any other hordganizers out there?

Edited by ledger64

Did my first run w/my new flex and mf pads.  I must say the orange pad likes to dust a lot.  Just a couple of observations but it seems you use alot more of the product than the other system maybe because they're mf pads?  It was alot easier to correct w/this system and saved a ton of time, probably was because I swapped to a flex as well.  Test vehicle was a Tundra, sorry no pics as i'm loading it up to go fishing and camping here in a few hours.  

I did hit it up w/detailer spray as another member mentioned after brushing per panel.  I actually didn't use a ton of the orange stuff, probably a couple a drops more or less per panel as I thought using a ton was causing the dusting i was getting.  Overall, i'm a satisfied customer, wasn't look for complete perfection but came close.  Going to have to order a second set of pads, think that would have cut my time easily, haha.  

The MF pads will require the use of more product since they like to soak it up.   You'll also need to brush them out to fluff the pile back up after each panel.

What were your working conditions and speed setting on the flex?  In Adam's video on the jeep door, it didn't seem like he was getting much dusting.

Well it didn't start happening till probably i started going on the 2nd half of the hood, i finished one side of my tundra.  Did it all in my garage.  Speed was at 5, should i have started on 6?  I did the other half of the truck on 4 since my hands were kinda bugging me, haha.  Think i should have done 2 passes though on the orange pad, since upon further inspection, noticed a few little light marks I could have worked out better.  Oh well, it was just a test since i've never used my the new system and flex.  Going to go at it probably end of Aug. or Sept.  Biggest issue is the truck is black and a pain to do over since it's so damn big, lol.  I don't mind doing my gtr or wifes toureg as they're a way smaller surface area to deal with.