Customer Service 866.965.0400

Correcting a paint chip

LarryR

Question

Damn.......well it didn't take long for my baby to get her first chip.  I've ordered some touch up paint and the clear coat as well as the Langka kit and plan on doing the correction next weekend.  Did my usual weekend wash but am holding off on doing a Flex polishing/sealing/waxing until after the chip is addressed.  Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated as I'll be losing my virginity on several fronts doing this.  :D

11 answers to this question

One thing I didn't like about the Langka kit is when you hit it with the blob eliminator, it takes the shine away from the touch up paint. If you're careful with the application, it looks better if you just touch it up and leave it alone. No blob eliminator. 

With my paint I'll be putting on the color coat and then the clear coat so it will be interesting to see if I get the same loss of gloss that TGO mentioned.  Will be tackling this next weekend after the stuff has arrived. 

The kit I bought at the time (2-3 years ago) didn't come with any clear. So, maybe that's something they've added. The blob eliminator didn't affect the factory clear so I would imagine it wouldn't affect the clear you will be using either. 

But, at the time the instructions were just to apply the touch up paint really thick, and then use the blob eliminator to level it with the factory paint. Once I did my first chip I was unsatisfied with the "dull" looking patch after the blob eliminator...so I resorted to applying the paint as carefully as I could with a paper match stick cut with a razor blade to a fine point. If you're careful, you can lay the paint in there really nice. No need to mess with it afterwards. I mean, it's a touch up, so it's never gonna be perfect any way...but the touch ups stood out more after using the blob eliminator IMO. 

The kit I bought at the time (2-3 years ago) didn't come with any clear. So, maybe that's something they've added. The blob eliminator didn't affect the factory clear so I would imagine it wouldn't affect the clear you will be using either. 

But, at the time the instructions were just to apply the touch up paint really thick, and then use the blob eliminator to level it with the factory paint. Once I did my first chip I was unsatisfied with the "dull" looking patch after the blob eliminator...so I resorted to applying the paint as carefully as I could with a paper match stick cut with a razor blade to a fine point. If you're careful, you can lay the paint in there really nice. No need to mess with it afterwards. I mean, it's a touch up, so it's never gonna be perfect any way...but the touch ups stood out more after using the blob eliminator IMO. 

I didn't notice that problem when we used the kit on my buddies Boss about 2 months ago but it is White.  I'd have to say it worked well albeit the blob remover takes longer to remove the paint than they show.  All around still levels nice.  He had some large chips and on corners of the body lines so just applying the paint didn't come out smooth enough.  The kit worked as advertised.  And I mean for like $20 why not just try it.

I have always used these for touching up paint.  Works well.

http://www.amazon.com/Detail-Micro-Brushes-Paint-Applicators/dp/B00578QW70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371991714&sr=8-1&keywords=touch+up+paint+brush

Make sure you clean the chip off all contaminants and wax.  To do that I use one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Langka-LAN19-Prep-Pen/dp/B008SUZIGU/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1371991818&sr=1-2&keywords=sanding+pen

I wonder if that blob eliminator stuff is just something like penetrol?

Great stuff guys, thanks so much for the input!  The clear coat is coming with the touch up paint so it's not part of the Langka kit.  Guess I'll be using just enough paint to cover the chip and then layer the clear coat and jump in with the Langka kit and see what happens.  Anyone know if the touchup gets better once it's done by doing a Flex correction?

Edited by LarryR

I didn't notice that problem when we used the kit on my buddies Boss about 2 months ago but it is White.  I'd have to say it worked well albeit the blob remover takes longer to remove the paint than they show.  All around still levels nice.  He had some large chips and on corners of the body lines so just applying the paint didn't come out smooth enough.  The kit worked as advertised.  And I mean for like $20 why not just try it.

I'm sure it has to do with the color of the car too. White is, well, white...whereas midnight blue metallic is pretty much a different color in every  light you look at it.