Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scotch Pad Envoy Denali

LowNslo

This is a very interesting situation. The owner of this car purchased it out of state. Upon arrival she almost didn't buy it due to the amount of tar all over the vehicle. It was what she had been looking for so she picked it up anyway. Welllllll seeing as not everyone knows about detailing, she and her Boyfriend decided to remove the tar.....using a scotch bright pad!!!!!!! 

Products used:

Exterior-

Adams bucket

Adams Deep wheel Cleaner

Adams fender brush

APC

Micro mitt for wheels Second bucket for paint(only one bucket because I was doing a major overhaul)

Dawn dish soap (strip the paint, like it really needed it)

Adams VRT w/sponge

Adams Undercarriage Spray with dirty job towel.

Adams Sidekick Adams GWDT

Adams Clay bar w/Quick Detailer

Adams Quick Sealant

Adams Buttery Wax

Polishing-

Flex 3401

Orange Pad (3 of them)

Adams Paint Correcting Polish

Adams Quick Detailer

3m wet dry 2k grit / 2500 grit with sanding block

3m 3k grit trizact sand papaer for DA (hook and loop style)

071_zpscf1d5a78.jpg After seeing that initial picture you are most likely thinking "OH its not that bad..... Well here is a spot on the hood after sanding 2000/2500/3000 wet. 074_zps797b4534.jpg075_zps9b056bc2.jpg077_zps9138d63d.jpg080_zps00899108.jpg After figuring out my method (always test a spot and start with the least aggressive method to get the desired results). I chose to wet sand the entire vehicle using a DA and 2500/3000 grit wet. The customer knew that this wouldn't be 100% correct and I knew that some RIDS were just too deep to remove and still be comfortable with the amount of clear coat left. So here are a few of the Pass. Door Corrected and then a comparison of before. 083_zpsc3dcbf8d.jpg085_zps3d6e2084.jpg086_zps8cd58233.jpg089_zps8d1d1d37.jpg092_zps991cecd2.jpg093_zpsbb9432be.jpg here are a few random pictures to follow up while I was working. I have no action shots because I was busy lol. 098_zps5456d4fe.jpg104_zps1bbed692.jpg106_zpsbd76e7db.jpg108_zps3e62df10.jpg111_zps72fd1aca.jpg116_zps28e15fca.jpg122_zps390668cd.jpg128_zpsd85806b6.jpg Finished. Not all of the deep scratches came out but the customer knew that up front. So there are still some places that I took pics of to show that, but 90% better that before! 135_zps5ed6d621.jpg137_zpse4e8429d.jpg138_zps569bae2a.jpg

Edited by LowNslo

LOL, He was obviously hanging out with bud light and they got it really clean! Its honestly just shy of needed to be resprayed with clear! I did instruct him on proper use of a Clay bar and detail spray.... but hey they say, "The best lesson learned is a bought one, and expensive helps drive it home".

Scotch Brite pad to the paint?

:jawdrop:

Nice work...

Thanks, not sure what he was thinking but he did get it really clean!

Nice save, I need to work up the courage to do any wet sanding.

Thanks man! Just like with anything it requires practice and tools for the job. I don't have a micrometer to measure paint, but it is a valuable tool when perfection is the goal. For this job, I was very careful with edges and used minimal sanding as required.

Test pannels!!!!!! go to the junk yard and get a few. Practice and check your work often during the process. Learn what burned paint looks like, or what happens when you cut through the clear. As with polishing each vehicle is different and has its own approach.

I am def not the guy to give tutorial on wet sanding. I just have played with it and know my boundaries. Also keep in mind, once the test area is perfect, you still have to replicate that over the rest of the affected areas! Hence the use of a DA sander and some good wet/dry sand paper.

lol@ mook. Yea def used it also. There aren't any places around my area to pick up a hook and loop disc any finer than 2000. While that would have helped, it may have been too much. I would have much rather made 2 passes with 2500 on a da than to take off too much in one pass with 2k. I resorted to many passes with the 3k and some hand sanding using a block on the heavier areas(most of the truck lol).