Customer Service 866.965.0400

Calling all Colorado and Kentucky folks

Schwag one

Hey everyone, my family and I need some help. My wife's position is being transferred to either Louisville or Colorado Springs, we are in need of a place to live. I'm looking for family friendly area, close to parks, good neighborhood, school districts aren't extremely important right now because our daughter is only 3 and we will eventually move once we're able to get back on our 'feet.' I say this because I am taking an extremely large pay cut. We would prefer to buy vs. rent as we don't want to have to pay capital gains from the sale of our current house. (it was listed on Tuesday and we received an offer Wednesday night) AWESOME! - if anyone wants me to post the link of our house, I will. Feel free to make a second offer!!! :)

not trying to throw my financial picture out there, I think everyone understands the idea of our uncertainly.

Unfortunately we're not quite sure which city yet, there is still so much in the air for us. My job as a Sales Rep is also able to transfer and hopefully we find out early next week where we are going. Does anyone have a good realtor to use or a specific realty site we can use?

Any recommendations or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

- Chris (Schwag One)

Good luck in your re-location and job transfer Chris.  I wish I could help you more with your request, but I am unfamiliar with the area.  Hopefully someone will chime in to lend you some assistance.

Thanks Dave!

Well, what the heck. I figured I would add this since its baby season on the forum. We are expecting a new little bundle of joy come the end of November, beginning of December. We find out the sex next Friday!!! Relocation, job transfer, baby on the way - what did I get myself in to!?!?! :lurk:

Thanks Dave!

Well, what the heck. I figured I would add this since its baby season on the forum. We are expecting a new little bundle of joy come the end of November, beginning of December. We find out the sex next Friday!!! Relocation, job transfer, baby on the way - what did I get myself in to!?!?! :lurk:

Wow congrats.  What have you gotten yourself in to?  haha.

I'm from Kentucky, Lexington specifically. Louisville is a nice area it's about an hour away. The main areas I know of that I would not recommend living at would be around campus area or some parts of downtown. I'm not too familiar other than that.

Sent you a PM last night, OP...  Largely agree with Mook's recommendation though, given your implied monetary constraints, you should also consider the East/Northeast areas of the city.

Stay on the Northside and Westside of colo springs...

Just might want to stay a bit away from the Black Forest area after what ripped through there recently.

If you don't mind a commute look in the Monument area north of Colorado Springs.

Awesome, thanks everyone. Steve I just replied to your PM. We found a lot of great properties now its just sitting down and map questing them. :) at this point we are both hoping its Colorado. My companies home office is in Louisville - not that that's a bad thing, we really just love Colorado

The City of Colorado Springs is a very diverse town, North, South, East, & West all have their good and bad areas. If your in the Downtown area I would look at the West side (older established neighborhoods). North and East is (no Offense) Yuppie-ville there is a lot of shopping and restaurants, I would stay away from the south end, lots of gangs, shooting, and crime in that area. You may also want to check out living in the County and not in the City limits. I live in the County and work in the City. One other thing, when you order from Adams...Fed-ex deliveres the next day!!!

One other thing, when you order from Adams...Fed-ex deliveres the next day!!!

This is definitely nice, as is the fact that Adam's World HQ in only about an hour away by car...  :cool:

If we're able to move to Colrado, I'll just drive there. That's the best thing about my job. A 1.5 hour is nothing for me, plus we have friends in Denver....I'll just drop the wifey and daughter off in Denver and make a trip to Adams. A win win for the entire family! :)

If we're able to move to Colrado, I'll just drive there. That's the best thing about my job. A 1.5 hour is nothing for me, plus we have friends in Denver....I'll just drop the wifey and daughter off in Denver and make a trip to Adams. A win win for the entire family! :)

In that case, did I mention the house next door to me is for sale...?  ;)

I am from KY, the Lexington area specifically. I think its a great place to live but I am pretty biased :) We have horses, bourbon, the UK Widlcats and Corvettes. Close to lots of large cities and we can have magazines of any capacity we want  B)

So, we're looking at properties in CO Springs now. We're exciited and want the final move day to come NOW! We have a 3.5 year old and an Australian Shephard, should we be worried about snakes in our yard?!?! -

Short answer:  No.  

Aside from a couple of garter snakes (over the course of almost 10 years) at our old house, I don't think I've seen any others here.  What did you see/hear that raised this concern?

So, we're looking at properties in CO Springs now. We're exciited and want the final move day to come NOW! We have a 3.5 year old and an Australian Shephard, should we be worried about snakes in our yard?!?! -

If you looking in the Burbs, I wouldnt worry too much, if you looking out East you could run into a rattler or two.

My fool of a father said there were a lot of snakes in Colorado. I figured it would be easier to get the scoop from people who actually live there

There is definitely NOT what I'd consider "a lot" of snakes in this area.  Rich is correct, however, you CAN find rattlers in some areas, at certain times.  The same is true of mountain lions, bears, coyotes, foxes, deer, elk, turkeys, etc.  All of these things are possible to run across within Colo Spgs, but you're much more likely to do so outside the city.  (I have yet to hear of wolves in this area.)

I definitely agree with Rich's overall assessment - You and your family will be fine, just like the other half-a-million people who live in El Paso County...

Thanks Steve! I booked a flight for my wife and I. We're flying out tomorrow afternoon, then leaving on Saturday night. We're looking at properties in school district 20. - I believe thats the northwest side of the city. Wish us luck...

Thanks Steve! I booked a flight for my wife and I. We're flying out tomorrow afternoon, then leaving on Saturday night. We're looking at properties in school district 20. - I believe thats the northwest side of the city. Wish us luck...

Yes, D-20 is most of the city's north end.  Good luck!  (I just sent you a PM with my cell if I can be of any assistance while you're here.)

Academy D-20 is a nice area. Looks like the weather is going to be in the low 90's and sunny Thurs-Sat. Have a safe and fun trip!