Customer Service 866.965.0400

4" pads and drill question

13-Mustang-GT/CS

Question

I am looking to buy a new drill for my 4" pads. Adams states in vol 8 videos to make sure it is a high speed drill. What is an ideal drill to buy as for speed. The one that was laying around my garage is a corded 120v 60 Hz No 0-800/min. Not sure if that is enough for any correction

25 answers to this question

800 is pretty slow for a corded.  I have a B&D corded that works great, but even my li-Ion B&D cordless works well.

Just get a common cordless drill like a Dewalt, Metabo, Bosch...  

Chris

I have a bosch at home, love it. 

We have a collection of 18v Dewalts and a super Primo Snap On in the warehouse that all do the job well. 

I say no point in corded. Cordless will be easier to manage and you just have to make sure you have 2 batteries and one only charging. 

I'm with Dylan on this - Bosch.  Pricey but bulletproof.

i was looking at a bosch one, but for the price of it related to how many times im goin to use it  doesnt really makes sense for me.

I went out and bought the dewalt one today. I have one of the batteries charged already and started the puppy up and wow it goes soo much faster then my old one.. Going to attack some scratches in my girlfriends car in a little bit. Some updates to follow 

I am due for a new cordless too. I want a 3/8 lithium ion, I am leaning toward a hammer drill. Has anyone used a hammer drill with the 4 inch pads? Curious if they work ok .

Why would you need a hammer drill for pads?  I have a hammer drill that I can also turn off the hammer effect, but I don't really use it.  I have a Hilti for hammering when I need it.  Get yourself one of those 18V Lithium Ion Makitas, and you won't regret it.  Probably one of my favorite tools. 

Why would you need a hammer drill for pads?  I have a hammer drill that I can also turn off the hammer effect, but I don't really use it.  I have a Hilti for hammering when I need it.  Get yourself one of those 18V Lithium Ion Makitas, and you won't regret it.  Probably one of my favorite tools. 

I don't need one for the pads, but I recently borrowed one for putting together a play structure. I liked how it drove the screws in, so I was wondering if it would have a negative effect if the same drill was used with the pads. The one I borrowed was a Makita, so ya Chris I will check that one out. Thanks for the Thumbs up on the Makita 

I don't need one for the pads, but I recently borrowed one for putting together a play structure. I liked how it drove the screws in, so I was wondering if it would have a negative effect if the same drill was used with the pads. The one I borrowed was a Makita, so ya Chris I will check that one out. Thanks for the Thumbs up on the Makita 

Daryle, 

If you used a screw gun like the one in the link that I have posted it is awesome.  That thing drives screws and what not like nobody's business.  This is the kit I have and love it.  I see it has come down in price as well.  Actually had a customer give it to me for Christmas one year as a "thank you".  The drill is nice too.  

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Compact-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-LCT200W/100596872#.UeMPXhbENFI

Edited by LFairbanks

Daryle, 

If you used a screw gun like the one in the link that I have posted it is awesome.  That thing drives screws and what not like nobody's business.  This is the kit I have and love it.  I see it has come down in price as well.  Actually had a customer give it to me for Christmas one year as a "thank you".  The drill is nice too.  

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Compact-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-LCT200W/100596872#.UeMPXhbENFI

That is the exact one I had decided on... I had it in my cart at Amazon and then saw your post... Way better deal at Home Depot. Glad I held off.

That is the exact one I had decided on... I had it in my cart at Amazon and then saw your post... Way better deal at Home Depot. Glad I held off.

Daryle,

Pay attention to the aph.  Some are 1.5 and others are 3.0.  Which makes for the difference in price.  It appears some are whining about it in the reviews.  Not sure what I have and can't look as I'am not home.  I have used mine a lot without any issues.  And as I mentioned in my previous post, if I remember correctly the kit I have was quite a bit more than the $199.

Edited by LFairbanks

Daryle,

Pay attention to the aph.  Some are 1.5 and others are 3.0.  Which makes for the difference in price.  It appears some are whining about it in the reviews.  Not sure what I have and can't look as I'am not home.  I have used mine a lot without any issues.  And as I mentioned in my previous post, if I remember correctly the kit I have was quite a bit more than the $199.

I ended up buying the Dewalt 20 volt Lithium Ion set with the drill and the impact.... Better reviews and a little more money... Hopefully it was a good choice.

I ended up buying the Dewalt 20 volt Lithium Ion set with the drill and the impact.... Better reviews and a little more money... Hopefully it was a good choice.

I think you're going to be really happy with it.  The impact is just so handy...  Nothing compares for sinking wood screws, teck screws and sheet metal screws; so much easier on the wrist.

Glad that you found something Daryle.  No one brand IMO is the brand to stick with so to speak.  I own a variety, Dewalt, Hitachi, Milwaukee, Paslode, Makita, etc.

Edited. Didn't read the second page where you said you already got one. 

I guess i'll add that i use a Milwaukee cordless drill and couldn't be happier.

Edited by WHTEVO

I think the craftsman drill my dad has is 1600rpm.  I have used it a couple times on my tinted lights after I wetsanded them and they look great.  I use the drill on parts that I have scratches before I run the PC over it that I know just the PC wont get out.

Now I know there are 2 different 4in backing plates in the store but is there a way you can make the drill ones fit the PC?

Now I know there are 2 different 4in backing plates in the store but is there a way you can make the drill ones fit the PC?

Probably not.  Being that one is threaded and the other is not.  The one not threaded is secured with a chuck on a drill.  If there is a way, there is an adaptor involved and would probably be just as easy, if not easier and cheaper, to buy the backing plate with the threaded fitting to fit the PC.