Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layering

Powerboy09

Question

I have seen Adam and Dylan in his videos "layering" products, for example, when using the brilliant glaze and the wax they wont wipe the car clean until they've applied the wax on top of the gazed glaze. I've seen them do something similar with polishes. I was wondering what the benefit of this was besides using less towels?

8 answers to this question

The term 'layering' usually means applying the same product multiple times (e.g. waxes or sealants).  Adam and Dylan do say that you can leave the clay bar residue on without removing it (some folks remove it, some leave it on).  Also the polishes can be applied on top of each other without removing too.  But BG hazing should be wiped before applying wax.

Claying residue isn't layered, it's polished off in the subsequent step. Similarly, brilliant glaze hazing isn't layered by wax, the enhanced shine once the glaze is removed is protected, and longevity lengthened, by the wax.

Edited by IrishCurse

Claying residue isn't layered, it's polished off in the subsequent step. 

Just curious, but wouldn't that impede the polishing process to some degree? I would think you'd want to work with the cleanest surface possible when you're polishing.

What you're left with is a small amount of detail spray residue, if the claying was done on a moderate to lightly contaminated car. 

If you are pulling off TONS of junk with the clay, its not a bad idea to do a waterless wash or a full hose/bucket wash after polishing. 

I have seen Adam and Dylan in his videos "layering" products, for example, when using the brilliant glaze and the wax they wont wipe the car clean until they've applied the wax on top of the gazed glaze. I've seen them do something similar with polishes. I was wondering what the benefit of this was besides using less towels?

What I see is a little confusion on what the products actually do leading to your thought process here:

Polishes don't leave anything behind to 'layer' they are imparting change to the surface of the paint thru the use of very fine abrasives. When you remove your polish residues you don't have anything meaningful left behind. Maybe a slight amount of oils left behind by the polish, but other than that - nada!

Products like sealants, glazes, and waxes are products that DO leave a layer behind as thats the intended purpose. 

To the point of not removing polish residues - with our products being diminishing abrasives you don't need to. You can if you want, but theres really no reason other than to inspect our work after each step. We recommend this as a way to save time (and towels I guess). 

On glazing and wax, I don't believe theres any videos where we say not to remove the residue from the glaze. When you're working with final coating products you need to remove any residues from the product before.