Customer Service 866.965.0400

Total Interior Detailer

I know, I meant the 500 is new to her?  Maybe I read that wrong.  I don't doubt you treat them well, that's why we're all here!  B)

Jessie's was on the lot, and it sucked down product.  I didn't think either product (LIC, TID) were heroes on smooth and shiny.  This thread has shown others have had luck, but I equated it to SVRT.  SVRT works best on porous vinyl, rubber, and trim, not so much on the sealed/shiny.  I'm learning along side you for sure.  I'm interested in the opinions in this thread.  Any advice I can use to make better/easier use of the products and I'm happy.   :)

The 500 and STI were posted by BKazzle and then I quoted it all later.  

As for my issue with TID, it almost seems like it just spreads with the towel until it is dry, so no matter how well I cover the area it will streak unless I go back several times to get it all covered.

With what I normally use (water based dressing), once it is on something, it just stays there.

I have only used it with Adam's edgeless utility towels . Maybe the other towels aren't spreading it evenly ? Those store brand towels are pretty in consistent in quality .

I use them as well with no issues

The 500 and STI were posted by BKazzle and then I quoted it all later.  

As for my issue with TID, it almost seems like it just spreads with the towel until it is dry, so no matter how well I cover the area it will streak unless I go back several times to get it all covered.

With what I normally use (water based dressing), once it is on something, it just stays there.

Trying seeing what kind of results you get by spraying and dampening the towel then wiping.

I have 4 types of utility towels. One of them being Adam's brand, one store, one another reputable company and the other is what car dealers order. I will try to use all of them today to see if the towel has anything to do with it.

I also get my CTS back (warranty work) and this car has a better quality interior than my STI, so I'll see what kind of results I get there as well.

I'm still wondering why you get good results with the other product but not TID on the same interior...:(

I know, I meant the 500 is new to her?  Maybe I read that wrong.  I don't doubt you treat them well, that's why we're all here!  B)

Jessie's was on the lot, and it sucked down product.  I didn't think either product (LIC, TID) were heroes on smooth and shiny.  This thread has shown others have had luck, but I equated it to SVRT.  SVRT works best on porous vinyl, rubber, and trim, not so much on the sealed/shiny.  I'm learning along side you for sure.  I'm interested in the opinions in this thread.  Any advice I can use to make better/easier use of the products and I'm happy.   :)

Then again, I wonder how dry plastics come from the factory.  I work at a dealership and we happen to have a few new 2011 cars still and I can't say that their dashes really look any different than the 2014s.

Trying seeing what kind of results you get by spraying and dampening the towel then wiping.

I have 4 types of utility towels. One of them being Adam's brand, one store, one another reputable company and the other is what car dealers order. I will try to use all of them today to see if the towel has anything to do with it.

I also get my CTS back (warranty work) and this car has a better quality interior than my STI, so I'll see what kind of results I get there as well.

I'm still wondering why you get good results with the other product but not TID on the same interior... :(

I'll try again later today with different towels (clean dash with LIC then reapply TID) and see if I get different results.

I usually spray the TID all over,,, wipe it off,, then I will go back over with a Double Soft on the plastics and console gauges and all.  Comes out really nice.  Also I will go back over with the Leather and Interior Conditioner and then wipe off a little with a Double Soft  or SS.   

Edited by GaryW

Keep in mind that there aren't any products out there that work identical on ALL types of interior panels. Manufactures use different materials, with different textures, different consistencies in all their cars. So what might work REALLY well for one might only work OK for another. Theres just no way for us to know (and test for) every conceivable combination. 

I know that during testing Ryan reported that he had a different result on his SVT Focus center stack than he did on his other cars... its just one of those materials. 

I just used this on my gto and wifes brand new traverse which I made sure the dealer didnt prep and it spread over all the materials (Leather & plastics) and it spread perfectly. I will say since you own a Kia, we just traded in our Hyundai and since the two companies are related - some of the materials in the Hyundai gave me the hardest time spreading product over evenly. I hated detailing that car, seemed to fight me so hard. Hopefully you find a solution, I absolutely love this product.

Were the items you were using TID on clean of any other products?  Sometimes hitting them with LIC can remove some stuff left over whether in the build process or something previously applied.

On my new RAM I slathered Leather Conditioner on everything and let it sit for 24 hours and then leveled it.  I consider TID more of a quick bling product.

Chris

i loved the TID. i didnt use it on the fake wood grain though. i used glass cleaner on that. i may try the TID this time and see. i used a single soft towel but the next time im going to try the edgeless utility one. when i did use the glass cleaner, i used a glass microfiber (the green one). hope this helps. good luck.

Any luck? I didn't have time to get my car today, so I will hopefully be able to test all the towels on the CTS tomorrow to see what the results are.

Didn't have time today.  I washed my friend's Civic and then topped with Americana.  Tomorrow I may or may not have the car.  The Kia dealership forgot a screw in my transmission when they replaced the temp sensor so it's been slowly leaking.  Gotta take it in tomorrow.  

Used four different towels and three different methods on the CTS interior.

1. Spray directly on and wipe off

2. Spray into towel and wipe

3. Both

I tried to get it to streak and it just didn't; which is good. The CTS has a bunch of different materials and none of them streaked. All the finishes are matte compared to my STI; they are slightly more shiny than natural when using TID.

1zx1md4.jpg

The Kia is still at the dealership, but I decided to try it out on the VW Routan with matte plastics.

First, here is the lower dash cleaned with LIC and taped off ( I did get the last of the LIC off before starting, this pic is just to show how I set it up).  Left side is for TID and right side is for the other dressing I like.

IMAG2028_zpsf908561b.jpg

I sprayed both directly onto the surface and then wiped with a single soft this time as a utility style towel or a WW towel never worked for me with TID.

After the initial wipe, I turned to a dry side of the towel.  No matter how much I tried to even out TID, here were the results on the left.  The dressing on the right I simply wiped, flipped the towel and wiped once with the dry side.

IMAG2029_zps19c9dedf.jpg

Close up of TID side

IMAG2033_zps6472ec07.jpg

Close up of the other dressing side

IMAG2034_zps66bb46d9.jpg

Now in the end, one towel did make TID lay almost perfect, and that was the glass towel.  However, in the end, TID still seems to require more effort to apply and I personally prefer a darker look than TID gives, but that really isn't the purpose of this thread.

BKazzle, thank you for posting your results.

Edited by SYMAWD

Hmmmm...that same matte type finish is on the CTS B and C pillars.

I'll try it tomorrow and see if I get that issue. I'm determined to find a solution (if there is one); I can't help myself.

So far all I've found is to use an Adam's glass towel for best results with TID.

Not sure why the TID picture above stopped showing.

Over saturated the towel then wiped on...

45ev.jpg

Turned towel over and leveled off...

xhy2.jpg

No streaking, so not sure what to tell you. This is like your last set of matte pictures (On the outside though). Made this plastic a little darker after using TID.

Towels used:

Passenger side - Another reputable company's utility towel (the black one in other pic)

Driver side (pictured)- Adam's utility towel

Edited by BKazzle

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally found some time to test it out again in the Kia.

First I cleaned with LIC and put a tape line down the middle:

IMAG2060_zps1a64f10b.jpg

Here is TID on the left and the other on the right:

IMAG2061_zps8dfe58b8.jpg

TID close ups:

IMAG2062_zps7118b2e5.jpg

IMAG2063_zps7d534a36.jpg

Other close ups:

IMAG2065_zps2aa151d4.jpg

IMAG2064_zps3114d04b.jpg

This time both were sprayed directly onto the surface made as level as I could and then wiped with a dry towel.

Wow guess they don't use courtesy mats. My dealers has actual mats they use not the paper ones

Well unlucky for them, they don't know who I am. My wonderful lady happens to be in charge of a lot of dealers; this one happens to be part of that auto-group. They're supposed to use the mats like you said, but apparently they didn't think it was necessary this time. She was so pissed when I sent her that picture.

They wanted me to bring it back and they would wash it up for me. She obviously knows no one gets to wash my car inside or out because I'm just at crazy as everyone here. :)

Hmmm.... I like the one on the left better.  The "gloss" of the other product seem fake to me and I don't prefer it.

The one on the right is actually matte, it is just a deeper black, but that is besides the point of the thread.