Customer Service 866.965.0400

Merino Wool Mit

K5/TBSS

Question

Hey guys. I've had my Merino Wool mitt a little over a year now. It's quite obvious that it doesn't "poof" out the way it did when new, especially compared to the car was videos. I tried combing it out with a dog hair brush, and it pulled a ton of material out of the mitt. In one place, you can see what would be the bare "skin" of the mitt, no hairs left at all. The bare area is about 1/2 the size of my fist, quite noticeable.

Is this common? Is a year about the typical lifetime of these pads? I will take a picture to illustrate what I mean tonight if I remember.

I've used mine three times maybe, and I always go back to the synthetic pads.  #1 I don't think the real wool stays poofy enough when wet, #2, due to the color, I can't see the contaminates as well.  I washed my truck last night and pushed the wool aside for the synthetic.  This isn't a jab at the Adams mitt by any means, but I find their synthetic pads to be superior for ME. 

I keep passing on the mitt so don't know for sure, I have the pads as Chris states above.  I have multiple of both regular & jumbo so I can keep them in a rotation as needed.  I like the white so I can see the dirt that is trapped & I didn't get out with the grit guard.  They are so easy to clean with Adam's microfiber cleaner.  Have one set that is nearly 2 years old & they look like new.

i comb my merino mitt out from time to time (which I have had about 11 months).  I can maybe see if you pulled alot of hairs out depending how tangled the hairs were and if you tried to comb too many hairs at once, pretty much yanking them out from the pad. 

I have not had this issue but could be possible.

When combing i like to use short quick strokes to prevent from pulling any of the wool out. Mine poofs up like an afro.

Dont tell my wife but i use her brush, the dog doesn't have enough hair for a brush and haven't had the need for a brush since 03.

Edited by A_HoderSS

I use a slicker dog brush and it doesnt pull anything out.  It does as it says and slicks, or sleeks the coat of the mitt.  works perfectly for me so far.  Time will tell of course.  I can put more soap in the mitt, I can't subtract swirls swirls from the finish.  I'll take the soft touch and massive soap uptake all day.  If it does begin to lose soap uptake characteristics, i'd re-evaluate.

Can't you just use it without putting your hand in it?

I have tried that on the past (microfiber) and it does work like a pad. I know what you are saying.

I been using acrylic-based wash pads for the last five years, and, I just love the way it makes and holds the suds.

The conversation evolved into finding the right dog brush to comb the wool mitt used to wash the car…I get it, we are all sick in the head when it comes to maintaining our vehicles.  However, the overall goal is to wash the car, scratch free, in the most cost-effective and efficient way possible, right?  If you agree, please don’t grab your pitch fork when I say that I have been using a natural sea sponge to wash the car and could not be more pleased. 

I admit, even a large sea sponge does not compare in size to the merino wool mitt, which is like stringing 4 cats around your wrist to wash the car.  However, a large sea sponge holds an insane amount of soap and water, is extremely soft once wet and most importantly, releases the dirt picked up off the car seamlessly, making it very safe on my vehicles’ finish.  I don’t need a grit guard, just squeeze the sea sponge out a few times in rinse water and EVERYTHING is released.  I have even washed my nasty, brake dust-ridden rims with the sea sponge and it releases it all, no problem, within seconds.  I’ll get off my soapbox now but am curious, has anyone else tried a sea sponge?

However, a large sea sponge holds an insane amount of soap and water, is extremely soft once wet and most importantly, releases the dirt picked up off the car seamlessly, making it very safe on my vehicles’ finish.  I don’t need a grit guard, just squeeze the sea sponge out a few times in rinse water and EVERYTHING is released. 

While the debate over which product is best to use on your car (i.e., sea sponge, wash mitt, pad) will continue, the idea of not needing a grit guard is a big mistake.  If you are planning on going back into either the rinse or "soap" bucket with your sponge, you are asking for trouble without the guard.  None of these products (yes, including the sea sponge) releases ALL the dirt that is collected after rubbing on the car's finish simply by squeezing it out "a few times".  Guaranteed there are smaller dirt particles embedded that still can create swirls in the paint.  IMHO, having a grit guard (which can be had for $10 with a little internet searching) is an absolute must to prevent damage to your paint while washing.

While the debate over which product is best to use on your car (i.e., sea sponge, wash mitt, pad) will continue, the idea of not needing a grit guard is a big mistake.  If you are planning on going back into either the rinse or "soap" bucket with your sponge, you are asking for trouble without the guard.  None of these products (yes, including the sea sponge) releases ALL the dirt that is collected after rubbing on the car's finish simply by squeezing it out "a few times".  Guaranteed there are smaller dirt particles embedded that still can create swirls in the paint.  IMHO, having a grit guard (which can be had for $10 with a little internet searching) is an absolute must to prevent damage to your paint while washing.

Yeah, I got a little carried away with that post.  After discovering how well the sea sponge released dirt and grit I stopped using the grit gaurd and even though the results were the same, you're  right, continuing to use the grit guard is another layer of protection and you can never be too safe. 

We're all aware that the grit guard serves two purposes.  #1 it's something to scrub the mitt or sponge on, and #2 it keeps the water at the bottom stagnate so it's not remixing with the rest of the water.  Basically, the dirt falls below the GG and doesn't remix with the wash or rinse water.  (Best case scenario of course)

The conversation evolved into finding the right dog brush to comb the wool mitt used to wash the car…I get it, we are all sick in the head when it comes to maintaining our vehicles.

I don't see the correlation between being "sick in the head" and selecting the right brush that will a: not rip the wool right out of the backing and b: fluff the wool back to new condition.

After using mine three times I've retired it. It doesn't retain suds at all.

I agree, ive used it about 10 times, using more and more soap thinking it would keep the suds but its doesnt hold soap like the other wash pads.

After using mine three times I've retired it. It doesn't retain suds at all.

I have found the same thing. I'm not quite ready to retire it yet, but I find myself more often going back to the car wash pad.

I'm kind of happy that I'm not the only one...  While washing it in APC does help with the sudsing, I just don't find it superior to Adams synthetic wash pad for a couple of reasons.