1. 1. FY 2008 Taxes

• Return > $2,000
    • Return $1,000 - $1,999
    • Return $600 - $999
    • Return $500 - $599
    • Return $1 - $499
    • Owe! :(
    • Not Filing

I was just trying to do mine online using TurboTax which I have used for years. The financial institution that I use for my brokerage account(s) still has not made the 2008 information available for import into TurboTax! :explode:

Now I have to wait until 2/3 at the earliest to have this feature available. It's a big time saver. I think it is ridiculous that a firm like that can get the paper statements mailed out but does not have the electronic files prepared at this point. Regulations give them up to a certain point to do things like this so they take every minute they can to do it which is frustrating. I'd complain, but I work there and layoffs are coming on Tuesday.

If you are using this thread to gauge sales potential...I can tell you I'll put in for a nice order at the end of the week provided that I'm still employed. :mad:

Edited by mikegeaney

In the 24 years that I have been doing my taxes, I have never owed. The key is to look at the rules and find the loopholes. My favorite is the charitable contributions. Go to a yard sale, buy a buttload of t-shirts for a couple of bucks, go straight to goodwill, and then donate....... for a writeoff of a buck each!!

I sent my returns out on Friday. :banana: I like working with numbers and I always get money back so I'm one of the few people who enjoy tax time.

Finding write-offs is important like you said Rob. For example I receive non-employee compensation from Google through ads I place on websites I maintain, so when I report self-employment income I can deduct the yearly cost for my internet connection as a business expense.

Edited by GerryC

This year I got back more than I expected. I try to minimize my return due to the fact I like to have the money in my paycheck when I need it to the most..not a big check once a year.

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel that I can use my money more effectively that way.

I don't know what to discuss, this economy sux!! I made alot less this year, I hope that with the slow down in new car sales people will be getting more details to take care of the vehicle they have, gotta keep a positive attitude.

I like the way you think!!

This year I got back more than I expected. I try to minimize my return due to the fact I like to have the money in my paycheck when I need it to the most..not a big check once a year.

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel that I can use my money more effectively that way.

Same here :thumbsup:

I need it for car payments :lolsmack:

I am still in the process of gathering documents and etc, but I do know I made almost 30k less last year then I did the year before. This year I'll be lucky to find a job and not be grouped into the poverty level of income. GRRRRRRRRRRR!

just got done finally with mine. getting about 4200 from federal back and owed state 28 dollars lol. too bad 90pct of it is already spent. hope there will be a few hundred left for me to get some adams stuff and other stuff for my cars(lowering springs!!!)

i claim 14 so hardly anything is taken out all year. but i have 4 kids so that makes a HUGE difference. id get alot more back if i claimed less, but i need the money now rather than one huge check at the end of the year

We use the drag car as a business as well as the show car . All the entry fees , transportation , food , hotel rooms , parts and anything connected with either car is part of deductions . Even detailing supplies are deductable . Just a thought for some of you that might need more deductions . Been doing that since the 60's and never had a problem with it .

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

Someone in Washington FINALLY did something good!

First time home buyer credit. Used to be a $7500 credit that you had to pay back over 15 years- amounting to an interest free loan. Now it does NOT have to be paid back! I just did a buddys taxes and he's getting back $14,100:banana::banana:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/29/real_estate/tax_credit_near/?postversion=2009012907