Customer Service 866.965.0400

Let's talk about the Cyclo Polisher...

Marylander

Question

So, those of you that have one... what do you think, and how does it fit into your detailing arsenal? 

And for those on the fence... what questions do you have about it (and the new 2-part polishing system?

Let's get this conversation going! :cheers:

15 answers to this question

I just saw the Cyclo polisher featured on Motorhead Garage (on Velocity network, Sam and Dave from Shadetree Mechanic for all you nostalgic car show guys like me :D)

Looks pretty cool, I might pick one up someday, especially interested in the carpet brush features of the machine, seems to be endless with attachments and uses.

I heard on the show you can use the different brush head attachments to clean leather, vinyl, headliners, carpet, etc.

I'm probably one of the only guys on here that uses a rotary for all his polishing, so if I did get one, it'd be primarily for interior use.

How often does the paint usually need correcting? Is this a tool I will use often or will it sit on the self? Could I just rent or borrow one when needed? Seems most detailing is maintenance not correcting? Sorry I'm new as this and trying to justify spending the doe$$$

Trying to decide (rationalize) getting Cyclo or a Flex.   I have a PC and feel the Flex is the most logical option, but intrigued with the small areas the Cyclo could handle.  The additional brushes and uses are also enticing.  Plus wondering how often I can polish my car before the clear coat disappears.  

Ideally you should only have to fully correct your paint one time (and will likely take a few days to complete if you go for perfect), and with proper washing/wiping techniques you should never be introducing damage severe enough to warrant another full correction. Once a year (depending on storage/use conditions) you might want to just break out the white pad and finishing polish to keep up the shine and take care of any minor defects that showed up during washing season.

The problem with renting power tools is that you have no idea how they've been treated by all of the previous users, or how it is maintained and serviced by the renter. If you have friends who want to get into polishing, maybe buy one machine and split the cost to share it amongst yourselves if you are trying to stay within a budget.

I used the Cyclo for the first time this past weekend at Corvettes At Carlisle and it is a pretty nifty tool. You can really hug and follow the panel edges and get into tight corners and spaces by simply rotating the way you hold the machine. This is not something I am able to do with the PC or the Flex without stopping and swapping out the backing plates. 

I don't have one and am not planning on buying one. My question would be: Why do I need one if I already have a Flex and a PC, and am satisfied with both? That's quite a sizeable investment to make compared to the benefit I would receive.

I don't have one and am not planning on buying one. My question would be: Why do I need one if I already have a Flex and a PC, and am satisfied with both? That's quite a sizeable investment to make compared to the benefit I would receive.

You don't!  

I'm looking forward to the brush attachments for the interior! That'll beat the heck out of scrubbing!

I purchased the cyclo to replace my PC as I hated the PC with the 4" pads. I have a Rupes LHR21 for the large panels and heavy correction. The Cyclo is a great teammate to the Rupes as it can fit into the small locations the Rupes can't with the 7" pad and large throw. The Cyclo is a great compliment to a more powerful machine, but I don't think I would want it as my only machine, unless I never encountered a car that needed major correction. I'm sure you can achieve the same level of correction as the flex or Rupes, as you can with the PC, but time is definitely a considering factor. I would definitely recommend the Cyclo over the PC since you wouldn't have to switch backing plates and the versatility of the machine.

Trying to decide (rationalize) getting Cyclo or a Flex.   I have a PC and feel the Flex is the most logical option, but intrigued with the small areas the Cyclo could handle.  The additional brushes and uses are also enticing.  Plus wondering how often I can polish my car before the clear coat disappears.  

Get the flex and just delegate the 4" focus pads to the PC. I did things that way this weekend. Tackled the larger flat panels with the flex, and cranked up the speed a bit on the PC with 4" pads for any tight areas.

You can use the same brushes as the Cyclo uses on the PC as well... I own the leather brush that DetailersDomain sells. It works very well on the PC.

Like I have told a few people.... no one machine is ideal for every single scenario. As an enthusiast its rare you're going to have a ton of polishers. The best way to decide is look at the pro's/con's for each and see what machine ticks off the most boxes on your list of NEEDS. 

Theres going to be certain limitations with any machine you go with, nothing is a perfect fit, so pick one that fits best then start thinking of ways to address the areas it doesn't - be it with another machine or a different product/application method. 

Its rare I use less than 3 machines on any given detail anymore. 

Rotary for heavy cutting. 

Flex for moderate restoration/correction. 

Cyclo for the bulk of the polishing.

I have a metabo 4" I use in some tight spots.

But thats because I have access to them and its part of my job... as an enthusiast, its hard to justify having a collection of 4+ tools to detail a car if its only for your own personal use. 

^I'll agree with the above statement.  

I use the Cyclo in the spots I can't get my Flex into since we have started testing them.  Having a couple machines is handy I have to admit.  However, it's not always financially feasible to do so.  Therefore, try and make the decision based on how much/how often you will be polishing, and by what you will be polishing.

I use the Cyclo in the spots I can't get my Flex into since we have started testing them.  Having a couple machines is handy I have to admit.  However, it's not always financially feasible to do so.  Therefore, try and make the decision based on how much/how often you will be polishing, and by what you will be polishing.

I own a TBSS as do you Mook, which polisher in your opinion would fit me best? Just a enthusiast wanting to keep my truck nice.

Like I have told a few people.... no one machine is ideal for every single scenario. As an enthusiast its rare you're going to have a ton of polishers. The best way to decide is look at the pro's/con's for each and see what machine ticks off the most boxes on your list of NEEDS. 

Theres going to be certain limitations with any machine you go with, nothing is a perfect fit, so pick one that fits best then start thinking of ways to address the areas it doesn't - be it with another machine or a different product/application method. 

Its rare I use less than 3 machines on any given detail anymore. 

Rotary for heavy cutting. 

Flex for moderate restoration/correction. 

Cyclo for the bulk of the polishing.

I have a metabo 4" I use in some tight spots.

But thats because I have access to them and its part of my job... as an enthusiast, its hard to justify having a collection of 4+ tools to detail a car if its only for your own personal use.

Very well said and great customer service, it would be easy to try and sell additional tools even if not needed. I love the advice from the Adam's team and forum members as it is always honest & based on experience. I will most likely pick up a Cyclo to replace the PC as I feel it will be a more flexible tool to have around as a weekend warrior that is never sure what I might get myself into.

I own all three machine Adam's offers; PC, Cyclo and the Flex as well as a high speed rotary. As Dylan stated all have their uses. The Cyclo fits inbetween the power of the PC and Flex with much more manuverabilty than either machine set up with the 7" pads. The Cyclo is much better getting into tighter spots and with the aggressiveness of the microfiber pads and Paint Correcting polish is approaching the correcting ability of the Flex. Oh, and as for vibration, next to none.

Do you need to add the Cyclo if you already own a PC and Flex? No, not really. But since Adam's no longer sells the PC it's a fantastic addition to the machine line up and is a great machine to start with.

Here's a pic GerryC placed up in another thread with me working on a '71 C3 Vette at Corvettes at Carlisle last weekend. Notice which machine I choose to use? That's right, the Cyclo!

20130824_151415_zps4c8312f6.jpg

I own a TBSS as do you Mook, which polisher in your opinion would fit me best? Just a enthusiast wanting to keep my truck nice.

The TBSS has more area than not that you can grab with the Flex.  IMO I would go with the Flex.  However, either machine can get the job done.  They are both great!

Mook

I  use  the  Cyclo  for a  wide  vaiety of  aspects.   I  do  have  several  other   units  from  random  orbit  to  rotary.  But  the  cyclo  is  very  versatile once  you  learn  it.     You  can  do  the  normal  paint  corrections.      Then  you  can  swicth  the  pads  over  to  sealants,   and  quickly  cover  the  car,  switch  the  pads  again,  lay  down  your  layer  of  glaze.   Same  thing  on  the  wax.

I  really  like  to  wax  the  cars  with  the  cyclo,  I  prefer  the  paste  waxes.    Adams  conatiners  will  fit  right  over  the  pads  still  attached  to  the  Cyclo,  give a  quick  cross swipe  and  back  to  the  next  panel.     You  know  that  issue  some  of  you  write  about on  your  Americana  needing  remelted?    The  swipe  method  on  the  Cyclo,  wears  it  down  nice  and  even.   You  can  quickly  lay  down a  very  thin  very  even  coat  of  wax.    My  theory  is  the  machine  tends  to  work  the  wax  into  the  glaze  coat  better  than  you  can  by  hand.     This  Cyclo  took a  huge  leap  forward  when  it  went  to  variable  speed.

If  you  have  some  basic  know  how,  you  can  even  make  up  your  own  pads  for a  special  issue.     On  one  occasion  looking at a  car  that  had  heavy  overspray  and  tree  sap and  water  deposits  combined.     I  took  the  lids  off  a  couple  rolls  of  electrical  tape,  glued  some  felt on  the  back.   Took a  couple  clay  bars   molded  them  nice and  round.  Slipped  them  in  the  rigged  up  cups.  Ta da  

I  know  it  looks  different ,  and  it  takes  some  getting  your  head  wrapped  around  it.  But  once  you  get  your  hand wrapped  around  it.  You'll  love  the  thing.  Very  good  tool,  I've  polished,  sealed,  waxed, even  saved a  windshield with  it.   

Anyway  thats  my  input. 

This  message  brought  to  you  by  Joseph  from  Josephs Collection and  the  Manlaw  Control Center.

Enjoy