Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help me design a 1-day detail

mblouir

Question

Hello everyone. I've found my way to the truck forum already but thought I'd drop by here to ask for some assistance. To make a long story short I'm taking a full load of university classes and working almost full-time. I am planning on doing a solid detailing on my black F150 as soon as I get a chance. My PC is coming in Tuesday and some other products should follow shortly after. My main goal is to remove all the swirls that have accumulated from quick washes at the local pay-n-spray. After the detail I'm going to do my best to only hand wash it.

Now I have the basic gist of proper detailing steps and have watched the videos and read all the how-tos. My problem lies in my schedule. I have class for the majority of the day M-F and work in the evening. I also usually go in Saturday to make up time. On top of that I have a second part-time job at a golf course on Sundays and work all day (8-8). So weekdays and Sundays are off-limits. My plan is to take a Saturday off for the detailing. Based on the size of my truck and what's involved I would love to take a few days to work on it at a nice, steady pace. Unfortunately, I must finish it in one day.

I was wondering if someone could help me set up the steps I will use to finish this in a day. Any tips for how to do a good job in a limited time frame? I'd really like to be able to have some daylight left to take some good after pics. As you can see I've got some light swirls to remove as well as some water spots and paint over spray. I have a feeling that removing all the defects from the poor upkeep will be "fun", to say the least.

Thank you in advance :hi:

Matt

DSC01296.jpgDSC01310.jpg

DSC01313.jpg

DSC01314.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01318.jpg

Edited by mblouir

20 answers to this question

I love this idea! Let's all make this a project, really do it well, and then make this a feature! The one day detail is certainly possible - let's all put our heads together to give you the best advice possible!

I know exactly what to tell you but I want to see what my forum brothers and sisters come up with first :cheers:

I love this idea! Let's all make this a project, really do it well, and then make this a feature! The one day detail is certainly possible - let's all put our heads together to give you the best advice possible!

I know exactly what to tell you but I want to see what my forum brothers and sisters come up with first :cheers:

Glad you like the idea. I was thinking as I was writing this, "This would be a nice thing for people to be able to do when short on time." I too am curious to see what everyone comes up with. Also anxious to see the results. :)

Edited by mblouir

I'm gonna step out of this one. I don't use a machine on my black at all, so I can't give advice on this one. But I'm sure gonna read what everyone says. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from starting with clay to ending with Detail Spray. :2thumbs:

Well Matt you have set a tough goal for yourself, but after the wash and clay the most important thing you can do is a test spot to find the best combination of pad and compound that will effectively remove imperfections fastest and with the least effort so you don't have to go over it more than once. I can't really recommend pads and products as I have a large inventory of products other than Adam's, I do use Adams products but also have some compounds that are extremely aggresive cutters that allow me to cut faster and then polish those marks out quickly. I would recommend starting as early in the day as you can so your not rushing late in the day and cutting corners to get done, good luck.

Taig

well ill do my best and give my advice.

first off i would start with a good hand wash with dawn dish soap to remove anything major, after that i would follow up with adams car wash but thats really not necessary. next i would spray one section down at a time with detail spray and go over it REALLY good with a clay bar, focusing on the overspray and water spots. you can leave the residue on. Start with the orange pad and some SHR at 5k opm going SLOW up down left and right, look good? go over with FMP at 5k opm no need to remove residue also you wont need to go as slow as the SWH but still not fast... after that MSW at 3k opms not moving as slow just covering the surface..

if you still have swirls 6k opms orange pad with a dab of FMP going SLOW up down left and right followed by FMP up down left and right...

if the MSW is hard to get off you can use detail spray to help remove it. also i forgot to mention give your pads one light spray of detail spray before you start...

thats how i would do it.:2thumbs:

well ill do my best and give my advice.

first off i would start with a good hand wash with dawn dish soap to remove anything major, after that i would follow up with adams car wash but thats really not necessary. next i would spray one section down at a time with detail spray and go over it REALLY good with a clay bar, focusing on the overspray and water spots. you can leave the residue on. Start with the orange pad and some SHR at 5k opm going SLOW up down left and right, look good? go over with FMP at 5k opm no need to remove residue also you wont need to go as slow as the SWH but still not fast... after that MSW at 3k opms not moving as slow just covering the surface..

if you still have swirls 6k opms orange pad with a dab of FMP going SLOW up down left and right followed by FMP up down left and right...

if the MSW is hard to get off you can use detail spray to help remove it. also i forgot to mention give your pads one light spray of detail spray before you start...

thats how i would do it.:2thumbs:

I would only add that you should not hesitate to really put some weight behind the PC as you work with the orange pad and Swirl & Haze remover. It may take some elbow grease to get the nastier things out. Honestly, in order to get the swirls off of my truck, I had lean on it to the point that I could hear the PC's motor slow down a little.

I feel your pain on the lack of time...I, too, take a day of work periodically to detail my truck. And I have to be done by 5 or else it wont ever get done...good luck!

Wow, great responses so far, thanks guys! I'll do my best to be done washing the truck by the time the sun rises. That way I've got most of the day to focus on repairing the surface issues. I'll be sure to take as many pics as possible and document the steps along the way.

Please, keep the input coming!! :D

I would just follow the easy reference card :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Oh trust me I already have that printed off and laminated. Actually have it printed twice. One large front/back 11x17 to use while washing and one with two 8.5x11 front-only pages side-by-side to pin to my wall. Both laminated. :2thumbs:

Edited by mblouir

You can always do the exterior one day then do the interior the following week :2thumbs:

True I may do the interior within the next few days. Don't know why this didn't cross my mind.

Matt , Once you get your truck done, don't let it go so long before you detail ,keep it up and that way its not such a big job. This is easy for me because thats my hobbie I love to detail cars its what I do !

I will for sure. I just recently got hooked on detailing which is why it's in such poor shape. I'm ready to change that.

Here is what I have done before.

Wash and clay the car the night before you plan on detailing. (If your car is in the garage) You don't need much light for these steps and shouldn't get too much dust on the car overnight. Plus it gives the car a chance to totally dry and the drips to come out. If you plan on taping off the emblems and edges now would also be a good time for this very tedious process.

Starting early in the morning find a section on the the car that needs the most correction and begin there. As mentioned before give each pad a light spay of detail spray.

Start with the orange pad and SHR. I believe you can put 30+ lbs of pressure if you are using the Gen2 pads. Do a small section and go slow with lots of pressure. Once the SHR has broken down, wipe it off and see how the paint looks. If you are not happy repeat until the paint is near flawless. Now on the same section switch to Fine Machine Polish using the white pad using a good amount of pressure (might not need as much as when you used the orange pad.) Once broken down wipe it off and see how it look.

Now that you have the "process" that works, repeat that same process over the entire vehicle. For example: 2 passes with orange pad and lots of pressure, followed by 1 pass with white pad and FMP. For areas that are in pretty good shap you may be able to adjust the process.

Once you are done polishing you are ready for the LSP (last step process)

Apply the Machine Super Wax with the black pad. No pressure is needed as you are not correcting the paint.

While waiting for the wax to haze over I dress the tires and work on the wheels. Also clean the glass (any overspray will be removed when you wipe off the wax) and do the interior.

Finally remove the wax, I like to use the PC for this as well.

If i still have time left I like to apply Brilliant Spray Glaze and if I still have time another coat of wax.

This would be a full day of detailing and would probably end after the sun went down, but pictures can be taken the next morning.

I have done this before on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and completed it in one day, but it was a loooooooong day.

Good luck, have fun and post your pics

Thanks for the tips guys, definitely gonna keep them in mind. I helped a friend wash his car today as it's been several months since he has. We just did a simple wash and clayed some paint overspray off. I got in my SHR today and decided to do a test section on my truck to see how much work I'd need to do to get rid of these swirls. Unfortunately it was late in the evening so lighting was terrible, but at least I got an idea of what was needed. A little more working it in and then with the FMP and MSW I'll be set! This makes me so happy that I'll be able to get these out without too much trouble! :D

Before/After:

DSC01346.jpg

DSC01347.jpg

:bump:

Okay guys I did another test section today and took a few pics. I will probably tackle this massive job over spring break since I don't have time right now. I have too much going on to do the whole truck. Also got a chance to give VRT a shot for the first time (also put a little on my decals). I am very impressed with both the SHR and VRT. Process it took to get out the swirls was (after wash/clay):

-SHR on orange pad at speed 6 on the PC. Took about two/three minutes of working it in.

-Added some FMP on the orange pad at speed 6 and worked it in for a minute.

-FMP on white pad on speed 5 and worked it in for a minute or two.

-Wiped it all off and was satisfied.

-Machine Super Wax on black pad

Now I get to enjoy a day of this. :D I'm so happy to see it's going to get everything out. First couple pics show the beautiful swirls currently all over the truck. Next few are the VRT results. Finally test section results.

DSC01410.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

DSC01414.jpg

DSC01446.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01444.jpg

DSC01443.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

DSC01471.jpg