Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar Questions

thatryan

Question

So, I have watched the video and pretty much understand it, but have a couple questions. 

1. It is done after car is washed correct, but do you need to do anything AFTER using the bar? Wax or sealant or anything?

2. Does it require a lot of strength to push and slide around? I ask because I have Muscular Dystrophy and upper body strength is severely limited :( Technically I should not be doing any of this, but I love my car and these products make it fun.

Thank you.

13 answers to this question

1. Yes you clay the car after washing. After claying you can either re-wash the car to remove the residue or just waterless wash each panel after you clay them. You should follow claying with a wax or sealant or both if you want. 

2. It requires no strength because you are completely lubricating the surface you are claying so the clay should slide side to side very easily. If it's taking too much strength to move the clay, you need more lubrication. 

Edited by lax

Welcome Ryan. I think you will enjoy claying and the results you get. Clay after a thorough wash and remove the clay residue before moving to the next step. You can remove the residue in a multiple of ways - 1) remove it as you go with waterless wash, 2) rewash the car after claying, or my favorite method, 3) do a rinseless wash after claying. After removing the residue proceed to apply your favorite wax or sealant. You will be amazed what these three simple steps (wash, clay, seal) can do for a cars finish. Claying will require no more strength that what is required to wash or wax, same motion and pressure. Good luck and have fun with it.

Thank you, appreciate the help and clarification.

Can the quick sealant spray be used afterward, or need a full wax or sealant? I ask because the quick sealant seems easier to apply, whereas rubbing off wax would probably not be something I could physically do :(

Ryan you are using very little pressure when claying, so i don't think it will affect your muscular dystrophy.  My minor labral tear and rotator cuff injuries from years of lifting weights however, I definitely feel my arm the next day after claying, washing, etc!

If you want to make it easier on yourself, your muscles etc and this may be controversial to some as I know it goes against Adam's instructions:

-Wash your car completely as you normally do, make sure to do an extra nice job and get all the nooks and crannies etc., rinse car completely and leave it wet

-Rinse out your soap bucket, rinse out your wash mitts well to be sure they are clean etc, as if you were putting them away, BUT

-Fill up a fresh soap bucket and put your cleaned mitts in there

-Get out your clay bar, start from the top, soap up a small panel or section, clay it well, using light pressure and letting the clay glide over the soaped up (very slick) surface

-Keep on working your way around the car until all done claying

-Rinse car down completely to wash off soap, clay residues, etc, then spritz with your drying agent of choice and dry with a Great White or whatever drying towel you use.

Pull the car in the garage and you are either ready to polish/correct first, or if you want to and the paint is in good shape, apply your LSP (Liquid Paint Sealant or Quick Sealant is what I would use)!  For what its worth I LOVE Quick Sealant as its phenomenally durable, easy on and off, and really makes everything pop.  For your muscular dystropy I think it would be the longest lasting, easiest to use product, you could prob get 4-6 months or more out of an application with a proper decontamination (claying) step first.  And obviously with your muscular how it is, less waxing is probably better for you than more!

Hope that helps!

Can the quick sealant spray be used afterward, or need a full wax or sealant? I ask because the quick sealant seems easier to apply, whereas rubbing off wax would probably not be something I could physically do :(

The QS would be fine.  It is kind of an aerosol version of LPS and protects for a loooong time.  But Adam's waxes (Buttery and Americana are all I have used so far) and the LPS all come off very easily.  

I am not sure what kind of presence Adam's still has in So Cal, but if there is someone local to you, you maybe able to give each LSP a try before buying...Ryan, paging "The Ryan".... :jester:

The QS would be fine.  It is kind of an aerosol version of LPS and protects for a loooong time.  But Adam's waxes (Buttery and Americana are all I have used so far) and the LPS all come off very easily.  

I am not sure what kind of presence Adam's still has in So Cal, but if there is someone local to you, you maybe able to give each LSP a try before buying...Ryan, paging "The Ryan".... :jester:

Thanks, is there a So Cal Adam's location? I could take a drive down there.. much closer than Colorado! ;)

What is LSP?

Thanks, is there a So Cal Adam's location? I could take a drive down there.. much closer than Colorado! ;)

What is LSP?

Indeed Ryan, if you like, I will be in So Cal for a few months...  We plan to have an event soon in Anaheim as well, at West Coast Corvettes, very close to you!

I assume by your questions, you have yet to watch our videos?  Those answer many of these questions, and while a photo tells a thousand words, a video tells a zillion!

Indeed Ryan, if you like, I will be in So Cal for a few months...  We plan to have an event soon in Anaheim as well, at West Coast Corvettes, very close to you!

I assume by your questions, you have yet to watch our videos?  Those answer many of these questions, and while a photo tells a thousand words, a video tells a zillion!

Oh awesome, I would love to meet up down there! When about might this be?

I have watched videos yes, though I kinda watched them all back-to-back and am working through processing all the info. A lot to take in for someone who has never done this stuff before ;)

Your videos are awesome btw, VERY helpful, I just may be a bit dense sometimes trying to assimilate all the data properly.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have clay bar questions as well.  The question I had was answered above, regarding the step after claying.  But based on the video I watched, and correct me if I'm wrong as it has been a while since I watched the video, I seem to remember Adam and Dylan leaving the clay residue on the vehicle as they were going to be polishing and there was no need to remove the clay residue before polishing.  With that in mind, my question is can the Revive Hand Polish be used after claying without having to remove the clay residue?  I have never clayed before and would really like to, but I would rather not have to rewash the truck after doing so.

A car that has never been clayed before will definitely need to be washed after claying. A rinseless or waterless wash will suffice. The reason they left the residue on is because the vehicles in the old videos were practically spotless already and did not have a lot of contamination.