Customer Service 866.965.0400

question on abrasiveness

Holty

Question

Can someone do a abrasiveness scale for the Adam's product similar to this one i found on autopia.org?

The ratings are on a scale of 10, higher number, more abrasive.

Product names and rating numbers are from containers.

#1 Medium-Cut Cleaner...................................7

#2 Fine-Cut Cleaner.........................................5

#3 Machine Glaze.............................................1

#4 Heavy-Cut Cleaner......................................8

#5 New Car Glaze

#6 Cleaner/Wax

#7 Show Car Glaze

#9 Swirl Remover 2.0.......................................3

#16 Paste Wax

#20 Polymer Sealant

#26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

#28 All-Metal Polish

#52 Express Wax

#53 Cleaner Wax

#66 Quick Detailer............................................4 Cleaner/Wax

#80 Speed Glaze..............................................4

#81 Hand Polish

#82 Swirl Free Polish........................................3

#83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish.........................6

#84 Compound Power Cleaner.........................9

#85 Diamond Cut Compound 2.0....................10

Hey, "We People" are people too!

Good call on the abrasiveness Bill. We don't play in the abrasive world very much, as we are not a body-shop supply organization.

Most end users get excellent results with a PC and our Swirl & Haze Remover (spelled out completely, thank you very much:)) and the Orange Swirl Killer Pad.

We are developing a new compound to come in above the S&H, but it will only be an 8 on the scale.

Thanks for the great question Josh!:2thumbs:

Edited by Adam

If you need something above an 8 on the scale your probably better off to hand it over to a pro anyways. A novice with something too abrasive can cause more harm than good sometimes :jester:

Don't ask how I know :lolsmack:

Fantastic point. People sometimes want "quicker" rather than "better" results so they get frustrated and basically want a compound similar to taking steel wool to a scratch.

Patience and pressure folks, patience and pressure.

Fantastic point. People sometimes want "quicker" rather than "better" results so they get frustrated and basically want a compound similar to taking steel wool to a scratch.

Patience and pressure folks, patience and pressure.

Not me, I want quality. If it takes me 21 hours, I don't care because I know its done right and looks its best.

whoa guys, i was just asking what the abrasiveness is on the products because i have a black vehicle with some serious scratches and acid rain marks. i use a pc on my cars and don't ever go too abrasive when it comes to polish, but since i've already tried scratch x and some other SEMI abrasive stuff, i wanted something a little more.

Scratch X is a filler... As soon as you wash it the filler starts to go bye bye...

Thanks for the info Bill...

Glad to see new things coming out Adam.

Still wish someone would make a closed thread with all the nmad acronyms and there meanings! Jason?

good info from Kevin Farrell

Up and down the ladder You can take the buffing products that you have and make them more or less aggressive by your choice of buffing pad, and/or speed and pressure exerted on the buffer. I call this moving up and down the ladder. I keep things simple in my shop. I use only one compound and only one polish. I don’t see a need to have 2 or 3 different compounds and 2 or 3 different polishes. I know the capabilities of my products and I can adjust what they can do by changing pads. The compound needs to work with your most aggressive pad to remove the harshest imperfections. This is the top end of the ladder as far as aggressiveness. I have an excellent compounding foam pad (50PPI and fairly dense) that works well with my compound at a fairly low speed. For most applications I can use this foam pad with my compound and it will remove most scratches and blemishes. If I want the compound to perform a bit less aggressively, I will simply use a medium foam pad (60PPI with medium density). This limits the overall aggressiveness of the compound. The speed and pressure exerted on the buffer also comes into play. At 1500 RPM and more pressure, you will be more aggressive than at 1000 RPM and little pressure. So there is quite a bit of leeway involved by working with the same product, but choosing a couple of different pads. Using the polish I can do the same thing. I can go up the ladder of aggressiveness by using the 60PPI, medium dense pad and slightly more speed and pressure, to be slightly more aggressive to accomplish tasks such as removing deep swirl marks. I can go down the ladder and use a 90 or 100 PPI pad that is very soft with less speed and pressure and be less aggressive, as in final polishing. Some detailers question my simplistic approach and wonder how I can work with only 1 compound, 1 polish and 3 different choices of pads. However, 95% of the time I have no problem removing imperfections, swirl marks, and creating a showroom new finish with what I choose to use. I simply move up and down the ladder with my choice of pads."]

Edited by Sundog Detailing

I hate to muddy the waters but I lean more to Fine Machine Polish being a 3 and Revive Polish being a 2. However, this is only if you use them on a white pad. Put them on a orange pad and they go up in cutting aggressiveness. That's also true when putting Swirl and Haze Remover on the yellow pad. The pads have a say so in the cut too so that's one half of the equation. I mentioned this in this thread.

I hate to muddy the waters but I lean more to Fine Machine Polish being a 3 and Revive Polish being a 2. However, this is only if you use them on a white pad. Put them on a orange pad and they go up in cutting aggressiveness. That's also true when putting Swirl and Haze Remover on the yellow pad. The pads have a say so in the cut too so that's one half of the equation. I mentioned this in this thread.

Well said AJ! :iagree:

I'm really looking forward to this new Adam's compound. My wife's '98 mustang is beyond what SHR can do for it. Some Adams compound with those new spot remover pads aught to clean some of these scratches up nicely without having to resort to wet sanding.

Indeed, it is in the works! Just want to make sure we don't give people anything that can be misused, and cause damage.

Our products definitely stay closer to the safe side, than they do the heavy-cut side, for sure!

Still, stay tuned for a yellow compound to go with the Yellow Pad, for more heavily damaged finishes. . . . . .:rockon:

Indeed, it is in the works! Just want to make sure we don't give people anything that can be misused, and cause damage.

Our products definitely stay closer to the safe side, than they do the heavy-cut side, for sure!

Still, stay tuned for a yellow compound to go with the Yellow Pad, for more heavily damaged finishes. . . . . .:rockon:

Go to bed man! I got the night shift! :lolsmack:

The Buttery Wax is yellow.... that doesn't go with the color matching pad??

I'm teasing! Please don't crucify me!!! Delete if you must, it's late and I'm a bit giggly :)

If somebody actually made this mistake and did this, I doubt it would do much of anything since the buttery wax has no cutting power at all. Even though the yellow pad is "aggressive", it's really the micro abrasives in the polish/compound that do the hard work.

Still and all, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the buttery wax black, although that doesn't look very buttery now does it :D

If somebody actually made this mistake and did this, I doubt it would do much of anything since the buttery wax has no cutting power at all. Even though the yellow pad is "aggressive", it's really the micro abrasives in the polish/compound that do the hard work.

Still and all, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the buttery wax black, although that doesn't look very buttery now does it :D

The yellow pad will still do damage to the paint no matter what is on the pad. If what you were saying is true, then SHR on the black pad would cut the same as it does on the orange pad and that definitely is not the case.