Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing vs Buffing

Timmy8784

Question

Hey guys,

I've gotten into a few arguments recently over the confusion of the difference between buffing and polishing. Some are saying it's the same thing and others are saying its different.

I have my own views but I thought I would get some good opinions from everyone on here too. A lot of car wash places offer a "buffing" and there is confusion over what exactly that means. Seems like a lot of confusion on the differences.

What is your thoughts?

8 answers to this question

Ketchup... Catsup....

I've always thought Buffing referred to heavy correction using wool and cloth pads on a rotary tool and that Polishing used a DA with foam and microfiber along with polishing compounds and polishes.

Unfortunately in the detailing world there are no set standards. Also definitions will vary depending on many factors.

Many define buffing as using a rotary (buffer or polisher) to correct paint. Some may stand by the notion that when they are compounding with a rotary they are buffing. When they are polishing with a buffer they are still buffing.

Looking at the two terms,they are synonyms.

I come from the school of thought that you polish the paint and panel and then buff away the residue with your double soft towel.

Hey guys,

I've gotten into a few arguments recently over the confusion of the difference between buffing and polishing. Some are saying it's the same thing and others are saying its different.

I have my own views but I thought I would get some good opinions from everyone on here too. A lot of car wash places offer a "buffing" and there is confusion over what exactly that means. Seems like a lot of confusion on the differences.

What is your thoughts?

Many things are confusing when it comes to car wash places.  Most popular is "SHINE N BUFF" which means you'll get a run through the automatic swirl machine, then a big rotary with a medium cut compound and a medium foam or wool pad will take out all the newly induced swirls and leave some holograms from the process, but don't worry, the finishing wax they use has so many fillers that when you pick it up it will look good as new (for the next 30 days!)  lol.

I wouldn't be on here debating on the terminology car wash places use, they are not on the same level as high end detailing places (AMMO NYC, Detailers Domain, etc) and those are the guys you want to ask about terminology from.

The average consumer will connect the term "buffing" with a rotary polisher, and most people will simple think of waxing when you say "polishing" to them. Here is what the average consumer thinks:

Buffing: using a machine to correct swirls and/or scratches

Polishing: applying a wax or similar product to make my car look more "wet" or more shiny.

Edited by ScottyBoy