Customer Service 866.965.0400

Matte Stripes - VRT = Fustrating

03sonicstang

Question

Good morning.  This week I received my VRT, Brilliant Glaze and Waterless Wash.  I purchased the VRT for the Matte Stripes on my 2013 GT500.  I applied the VRT to the Hood Stripes and loved the affect.....that is until I washed the car last night.  Beaded up great but then once I dried the Strips, what a mess.  White faded with lots of spots and inconsistencies.  I applied the VRT again, but then thought "I'm I going to do this every wash????? I cannot handle that.

SO THEN I tried cleaning with the waterless wash, still looked terrible. 

Then spray on wax, still terrible. 

Then the Brilliant Glaze....perfect again!!  Not to mention you can hit the paint and stripes with no ill effects. .

DID I do something wrong when applying the VRT?  The car was clean and cool with the original coat...Thoughts?

Question; is the Glaze a Wax?   I love how it made the paint and stripes look.  The car gets driven about 100 miles a month only on good days...

LOVE the VRT on the Black Plastic and Tires.  That's the only place I will use it going forward. 

Just wanted to share my experience as I've read a lot of positive reviews on the VRT with the Matte Stripes.; personally I would not use it again on them. 

Thank you for reading and any suggestions other car nuts can offer!   Love the car, but the Stripes stress me out....I know it's sad

24 answers to this question

I have a 2014 GT500 and the same thing happened to me. I only used it on the hood/front bumper section of stripes. It looked good when I applied it. Then it rained, washed it all away and made the whole hood, front bumper area look like it was covered in residue. I had to wash the car again thoroughly. I think I'll use the brilliant glaze for the stripes from now on as well. 

Chances are you have applied too much SVRT, and the residue that you are seeing after washing/rain is the excess that ran down. Try SVRT again, but afterwards go over it lightly with a clean towel to knock off any excess dressing. You don't want any SVRT sitting on top, you only want what was absorbed into the stripe.

Glaze is not a wax, it's more of a 'beauty product' that enhances the look of your paint/glass/chrome for a few days. It doesn't have longevity and it offers no protection. People use glaze on matte stripes with good results, despite it sounding counter-intuitive.

Chances are you have applied too much SVRT, and the residue that you are seeing after washing/rain is the excess that ran down. Try SVRT again, but afterwards go over it lightly with a clean towel to knock off any excess dressing. You don't want any SVRT sitting on top, you only want what was absorbed into the stripe.

Glaze is not a wax, it's more of a 'beauty product' that enhances the look of your paint/glass/chrome for a few days. It doesn't have longevity and it offers no protection. People use glaze on matte stripes with good results, despite it sounding counter-intuitive.

When I applied VRT, I let it sit for about 5 minutes then took a double soft towel and got the residue off.  What concerned me was how the Stripes looked after the wash.  They looked terrible.... 

The matte stripes are a PITA, but I love the look.  Maintenance on this car has been a tough one to tackle thus far

Bummer.  I was hoping to find a "all in one" product for the paint and stripes

I recall a video that Dylan did I believe it was him. Anyway he did a comparison of the effect on stripes on a Camaro but I cannot seem to locate it. Maybe someone can find it.

I watched that video and purchased the Brilliant Glaze and VRT based on it.    I thought I applied just as Dylan instructed.... maybe not...

If there is any VRT left to "wash off" in the rain then you probably used too much.  I use VRT on my matte black stripes and LOVE it.

Caveat:  I only have hood-spears so it's not a lot of square footage.  Maybe wider stripes would be more of a problem.

The BG actually has a bit of solvent in it, which does a nice job of cleaning the stripes while leaving a nice looking finish.

The kicker here is BG will give no real protection to the vinyl.

If you're struggling with "running" of the SVRT, I'd lean toward applying too much, which is a common problem.  Give it another go, but apply less this time and be sure to buff off any residue with a clean towel and you'll be good to go!

If there is any VRT left to "wash off" in the rain then you probably used too much.  I use VRT on my matte black stripes and LOVE it.

Caveat:  I only have hood-spears so it's not a lot of square footage.  Maybe wider stripes would be more of a problem.

My problem is not the wash off; its how the Stripes looked after a wash.

The BG actually has a bit of solvent in it, which does a nice job of cleaning the stripes while leaving a nice looking finish.

The kicker here is BG will give no real protection to the vinyl.

If you're struggling with "running" of the SVRT, I'd lean toward applying too much, which is a common problem.  Give it another go, but apply less this time and be sure to buff off any residue with a clean towel and you'll be good to go!

I'll give it a try.  Thanks

Have you tried just waxing over them?  I don't VRT my stripes, just seal/wax over them and keep the look I like.

Matte or Shiny stripes?  I would love to just wax over them as taping them off to wax sounds terrible

Matte or Shiny stripes?  I would love to just wax over them as taping them off to wax sounds terrible

Please dont wax over matte vinyl. 

We have an entire thread and video covering exactly this...

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/13404-caring-for-factory-vinyl-stripes/

The stripes on the '13 Boss are a little different.  They're matte but they're photo reflective.

If you don't want to do it, don't do it.  I've had no issues and it keeps them in good order.  I wax over my matte black spoiler too and it doesn't turn shiny.

I've had zero problems using the method/products demo'd by Dylan, on my 2013's matte stripes.  As others have said, it sounds like you had too much SVRT (residue) on yours.  As with many Adam's products, LESS IS MORE!

A few outdoor shots...

IMG_0326_zpsbb98508a.jpg

IMG_0319_zps15343d1c.jpg

IMG_0214_zps16a4eb1b.jpg

An indoor closeup (including the TF Heat Extractor I recently installed)

IMG_0072_zps73a26abf.jpg

I've had zero problems using the method/products demo'd by Dylan, on my 2013's matte stripes.  As others have said, it sounds like you had too much SVRT (residue) on yours.  As with many Adam's products, LESS IS MORE!

A few outdoor shots...

IMG_0326_zpsbb98508a.jpg

IMG_0319_zps15343d1c.jpg

IMG_0214_zps16a4eb1b.jpg

An indoor closeup (including the TF Heat Extractor I recently installed)

IMG_0072_zps73a26abf.jpg

very nice everytime i see your heat extractor makes me wanna contact TF and order one. like always nice shine on the shelby..