Customer Service 866.965.0400

microfiber loading up

Fit08

Question

What I'm seeing is my fiber pads are loading up "very wet" even with brushing after each section pass 2*2 area.

I use two lines each time I start again, fluff fiber each time as well.

Can I just add detail spray to get product out OR do you need to add product every time?

I have switched to a new set of pads and the "grabby" is gone for the finish pad and the finish polish seems to wipe off better. I do however fear that this will "load" before I'm done as well.

12 answers to this question

I think you are using too much product and not using up whats in your pad before re-loading.

What do you think Ralph?

I'm thinking we are on the right track. This would explain other issues such as "grabby" because pad fiber would flatten soon after starting.

We are to add product each time we start a new section, correct? I was adding only two lines and not real heavy.

What do you think about adding only say one line of polish once you have pad well primed??

What I do is start out w/a x on the first panel.  Then detail spray next panel/half panel w/out any additional product.  After that I add 3-4 dots for the next panel.   Then repeat w/the spray, 3-4 dot routine.  Never had any issues.  

What I do is start out w/a x on the first panel.  Then detail spray next panel/half panel w/out any additional product.  After that I add 3-4 dots for the next panel.   Then repeat w/the spray, 3-4 dot routine.  Never had any issues.  

Hi, this is with microfiber you are doing this NOY foam pads? Interesting........ I would have thought your level of correction would suffer.

I start with a fully primed MF or foam pad (all fibers with product on them, check out Kevin Brown method), the first section does get dusty somewhat as you work the primed pad.  After working the first section, fluff the fibers up, and add 2-3 pea sized dots of product "working product" for each section pass, fluffing the fibers as you go with a brush or compressed air)

You use more up front with this method but its much easier.

I start with a fully primed MF or foam pad (all fibers with product on them, check out Kevin Brown method), the first section does get dusty somewhat as you work the primed pad.  After working the first section, fluff the fibers up, and add 2-3 pea sized dots of product "working product" for each section pass, fluffing the fibers as you go with a brush or compressed air)

How do we find this Kevin Brown method?

It is explained on a few other detailing forums.  Kevin Brown speaks about how it came to be on a podcast he did with Larry from Ammo NYC.  Quick version - he was testing MF pads, which need to be 'seasoned' (his words) before using.  He tried the same process with foam pads with good results.  At the time he could not speak to the origin of the KBM, as the MF pads were still the testing phase. 

Edited by mc2hill

I start with a fully primed MF or foam pad (all fibers with product on them, check out Kevin Brown method), the first section does get dusty somewhat as you work the primed pad. After working the first section, fluff the fibers up, and add 2-3 pea sized dots of product "working product" for each section pass, fluffing the fibers as you go with a brush or compressed air)

I do this as well and it works great for me

It is explained on a few other detailing forums.  Kevin Brown speaks about how it came to be on a podcast he did with Larry from Ammo NYC.  Quick version - he was testing MF pads, which need to be 'seasoned' (his words) before using.  He tried the same process with foam pads with good results.  At the time he could not speak to the origin of the KBM, as the MF pads were still the testing phase. 

I don't think this is against forum rules to post the link, but I use KBM on my foam and my MF cutting pads, great results and one of the most well respected detailing gurus around.  I will say that his section on "Supplemental Wetting Agents" does tie in to the Adam's regimen where you can mist Detail Spray, or a similar wetting agent like water or waterless wash to reactivate your polish in the pads and extend your buffing cycle and use less product.  Definitely using KBM will have you use less liquid product over your polishing cycles.  It's more up front to prime as you are saturating the fibers or pores of the pad, but less working product after.

http://www.buffdaddy.com/files/1519584/uploaded/KBM-_Pad_Priming_and_Supplemental_Wetting_Agents-1.pdf

I don't think this is against forum rules to post the link, but I use KBM on my foam and my MF cutting pads, great results and one of the most well respected detailing gurus around.  I will say that his section on "Supplemental Wetting Agents" does tie in to the Adam's regimen where you can mist Detail Spray, or a similar wetting agent like water or waterless wash to reactivate your polish in the pads and extend your buffing cycle and use less product.  Definitely using KBM will have you use less liquid product over your polishing cycles.  It's more up front to prime as you are saturating the fibers or pores of the pad, but less working product after.

http://www.buffdaddy.com/files/1519584/uploaded/KBM-_Pad_Priming_and_Supplemental_Wetting_Agents-1.pdf

Thanks Jason!

Here is a link to the podcast - http://shoutengine.com/AMMONYC/matts-50-heater-with-jason-rose-kevin-brown-1784.  

If you want to dig deeper into detailing (polishing, interiors, etc.) Larry Kosilla from AMMO NYC has some very good podcasts available.  There is not too much mention of other vendors on these, just lots and lots (and lots) of information.