Customer Service 866.965.0400

Different Rinseless Washing Techniques

GerryC

Question

When Adam's introduced RW, I was skeptical of the idea, especially since it was suggested to use (and re-use) only two towels during the entire process. After a few washings, I started figuring out a few ways to make it a simpler and safer process. You don't need ten gallons of water. You don't need two buckets. Heck, you don't even need a grit guard if the buckets are clean to begin with. You also use less RW which translates into more uses out of your bottle or gallon.

Now, instead of 2 ounces of RW, two buckets, and 5 gallons of water in each bucket, I use about 1 ounce of RW, no more than 2 gallons of water, and one bucket. Not only is this cutting your water and product use by half or more, but you're getting a higher concentration of solution to boot.

I have six plush 16x24 towels I use for rinseless washing. If you fold them in eighths, that is 96 6x8 usable towel surfaces, which is more than plenty for a car my size. Once you completely use a towel, put it off to the side. This is somewhat similar to the "Garry Dean" method that some people are familiar with, except you are following the Adam's technique of wiping in straight lines and flipping to a fresh side each time.

Never reintroduce a used towel back into your RW solution. Why? Well, for starters, your unused towels will then be sitting in dirty water. Secondly, if your solution is never contaminated, you can save whatever's left and use it next time. I don't even dry my rinseless towels after cleaning them anymore. Once they're washed and rinsed thoroughly, I just throw them back in the rinseless solution and seal the lid. Now they're ready to go at a moment's notice, and I can top off the solution with more water or RW as necessary, instead of throwing out ten gallons of water and 12% of my bottle of Rinseless every single time.

Speaking of boots:

rear1.jpg

8 answers to this question

Gerry your G8 looks proper.

Actually Garry Dean does recommend straight lines and flipping to a fresh side often, so I would say your technique is basically his but modified with 16 x 24's which in my opinion is a GREAT idea, more workable area which makes the job faster. I just may have to order about 6-8 of those size towels in my usual 660 gsm that I use for rinseless washing, would make doing 2 cars in the garage a BREEZE.

For what its worth, I bring my second bucket out but I keep it empty and just toss the used towels into it when they are spent as I go, then take them to the basement and wash/wring them out when done.

Personally I don't store the solution, but I guess you can do that, I'm not really big on putting the lid on the buckets because of possible mildew buildup from standing water, but I guess you could do that.  When using warm water in winter its really not something I wanted to try.

This is a great method for a quick cleaning after traveling to an event...Fill up the bucket and seal it at home, arrive, do the "bucket 'o towels, panel wash" and put the 'used' towels back in the bucket & reseal for the ride home.  Now you have the cleanest, non-swirled car at the show!  :glasses:

Very similar to how I do it.  I also do what Ricky Bobby does and use my second bucket to collect the dirty towels.

To add to this, I use white microfiber towels to dry the car so I can see if I missed a spot.  The Borderless Blues are good for the solution, but I like to see any dirt, if I miss it.  Then I know I have to redo that panel.

This is a great method for a quick cleaning after traveling to an event...Fill up the bucket and seal it at home, arrive, do the "bucket 'o towels, panel wash" and put the 'used' towels back in the bucket & reseal for the ride home.  Now you have the cleanest, non-swirled car at the show!  :glasses:

Did this at a car show last week. Used the leftover solution to clean another car. Leftover solution can be diluted and used in a sprayer.