Customer Service 866.965.0400

Quick Sealant application

someguy020

Question

When I applied quick sealant yesterday, I used a microfiber cloth that was folded over multiple times. I first primed the cloth with a quick burst of sealant, sprayed a small section of the car and then went over that area with the microfiber cloth. I didn't see any haze I needed to wipe off or anything like that. I just rubbed it into the paint and that was it. One step.

Am I supposed to see a haze develop with quick sealant? Looking at other posts it seems there is supposed to be a haze that develops after a little bit of time. What happens when there is no haze? Does that mean my microfiber cloth is absorbing all the quick sealant?

9 answers to this question

You're supposed to apply it with a pad like the UFO applicator on the website and wipe it off with a MF Towel...

Its not one step. Its two step like any other wax or sealant... Apply... Remove.

Did you watch the video? 

Edited by Kingsford

Yeah I watched the video, but I had heard of other people using a microfiber product to apply the sealant and I was wondering what I was doing different to apply it. Besides, what happens if you don't have one of those foam thingies around?

If you don't happen to have any of the Adam's applicators at the minimum you can stop by your local auto parts store and see if they carry the yellow foam applicators.  I know for sure that pep boys has some Peak foam applicators for like $3. 

Follow the instructions on the can and the video. Don't try anything crazy or try to do something new. The people that created this product know best how to use it. Get some UFO Applicators they have multiple uses and last pretty much forever or until you drop them on a dirty floor (not worth risking the scratches to the paint IMO).

I apply quick sealant to the front of our daily driver and all plastic trim, door jabs, wheels etc. I use a microfiber applicator which I can get a few uses out of before I discard it. I spray the sealant on the applicator and apply to the paint/plastic. I let it "cure" or "sit" for a few seconds and then remove excess with a microfiber cloth.  You will not see a haze with this product. It is optically clear. I sometimes have a hard time seeing where I applied it. Your pad may absorb a little sealant. Just do a small section and reapply to the pad. I always work in small sections with this product. Quick Sealant is my favorite Adams product due to it's versatility and durability. What type of car are you working on?

Your application method is just fine, as you said you folded over a cloth, primed it, and applied to the area.  I'm assuming you are using a lower GSM MF towel?  The nap on the blue microfiber applicators are around 300gsm or so, don't use a Double Soft to apply.

Then what you should have done is followed up after a minute or so with a clean, dry, MF towel to wipe off any residues.  The clear nature of Quick Sealant makes for easy on, easy off, and applying with a folded MF is just fine as a substitute for a foam applicator in a pinch.

But above members are right, you should apply, then use a clean media to remove any residues.  You might need to go over a second time to be sure of even application.

Follow the instructions on the can and the video. Don't try anything crazy or try to do something new. The people that created this product know best how to use it. Get some UFO Applicators they have multiple uses and last pretty much forever or until you drop them on a dirty floor (not worth risking the scratches to the paint IMO).

Thanks for the advice. The can actually says to use either a foam applicator or a microfiber pad though. I've never used a foam pad actually.

If you don't happen to have any of the Adam's applicators at the minimum you can stop by your local auto parts store and see if they carry the yellow foam applicators.  I know for sure that pep boys has some Peak foam applicators for like $3. 

I didn't even known foam applicators were a thing until you mentioned it just now. Obviously I don't know that much about detailing, haha.

... What type of car are you working on?

Just my daily driver, a Ford Focus ST. Speaking of which the paint seems to be quite a bit more fragile than previous vehicles I've driven.

Your application method is just fine, as you said you folded over a cloth, primed it, and applied to the area.  I'm assuming you are using a lower GSM MF towel?  The nap on the blue microfiber applicators are around 300gsm or so, don't use a Double Soft to apply.

Then what you should have done is followed up after a minute or so with a clean, dry, MF towel to wipe off any residues.  The clear nature of Quick Sealant makes for easy on, easy off, and applying with a folded MF is just fine as a substitute for a foam applicator in a pinch.

But above members are right, you should apply, then use a clean media to remove any residues.  You might need to go over a second time to be sure of even application.

Correct, I used a lower GSM microfiber towel. Still even in areas where I sprayed a little extra quick sealant intentionally to see if I could get it to haze over, I still didn't see any haze.

I just realized that I actually do have a foam thing lying around. I went to the car to spray some rinseless wash on it to prepare it for another coating of quick sealant (this time I'm going to use the foam thing), and what do you know, the rinseless wash just beaded right off.

The last time I used quick sealant, I didn't have a foam pad so I had used a microfiber cloth as well; however I didn't think that a tiny layer of that spray could possibly work so I put a layer or two of wax on top. That was about 5 months ago. So either the quick sealant+wax still works from last time perfectly well or I actually applied it semi-correctly this time.

You know, if it turns out that it really is this easy to use I might as well apply it every 2-3 months on top of the old sealant. That way it will always be extra-protected.

As an aside, do you guys think I could seal my skylights in my house with this? I used rain-x before which worked okay. While it stopped beading water fairly quickly, it did a great job of inhibiting the growth of moss.

QS doesn't really haze up at all since it's optically clear.  Just give it about a minute after application, then remove with a clean towel.

Application with a towel is far from ideal, but works in a pinch, as you've found.  As others have mentioned, a soft foam applicator of microfiber block applicator is what you want for application.

Are you skylights plastic or glass?  If they are glass, Glass Sealant would would be more ideal as QS may create some haziness that could be tough to remove.